DirtriderZ

Dammit...oil leaking out of forks ..just slowly. What's the deal.? I will try cleaning them with feeler gauges etc..but I've forgotten what the deal is usually with this situation? Safe to ride this weekend? Or .???

cd3938a1ca754758394b3cf303189b70.jpg8d1580e9a741b340a900e997f367b938.jpg

The dreaded WP low tension seal leak. The dust seals and fork guards are crap.

May come good with a clean. Clean and wipe the leg down. Drop the dust seal; gently feed a flat blade screwdriver between the dust seal and upper tube and twist the screwdriver to lever the dust seal down a little and work it off. Slide it down the leg and give it a good clean and wipe with a rag. Feed the feeler gauge in between the oil seal and tube and work your way round, withdraw wipe off and repeat. Can also make a more robust easy to handle tool cut from a regular soft drink bottler or buy a tool at a bike shop. My experience though is none of these work well on WP. Feeler gauge worked fine on my KYB forks but I've only had to do that once. With WP it's a lucky dip; I've pulled a WP leaking seal, cleaned it and reinstalled it with Simon's seal grease and not had it leak again.

Don't use any solvents on the seals. A rag and paint brush with light oil to clean (auto trans is good) is the go. And wipe down with a clean dry cloth to finish off. Travel the fork a few times a inches and wipe the leg clean plenty of times before you push the dust seal back in.

If its not the disc side your pretty right to ride this week end. The actual amount that leaks whilst looking bad is usually very small.

• Like 2

Leaking as bad as that a clean won't fix them plus buy your self a seal cleaner very cheap on eBay thay clean both ceal and dust ceal l clean mine at least 2times a year . Plus I cross hatch the legs to get ride of the shine I use a scotch pad but    A lot would not agree with that but I'm old school .

Bleed the pressure and run a cut up water bottle in between the seal and fork tube like Bear suggested, YouTube it for tips. I would bleed the air before cleaning so you don't push out too much oil and she'll be right for Monday the good news, it's not the brake side

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cobraone said:

Bit more detail please bear.:D

Yeah, I do like to ramble hey! Shoulda just said buy a KYB suspended bike (it was my first thought when I read the post).

When are we gonna see you on the trails?

All good mate ,it was funny.lol.already had 3 rides ,done 50k of st at green Dale last weekend.oh man it felt good ,I hope we all ride for as long as possible cos it was crap not riding.we will catch up very soon I hope.

• Like 1

All good advice but I reckon you can't go past paying the extra coin for a quality set of skf seals I've had them on my berg and in the 5 years I've owned her I've replaced the seals once and I probably clean them about twice a year