2 2
ouzo

Hazelwood L2+ RCHGFA

Well what was to be an early arrival at unloading point didnt end up as planned as my mobile plan ran out on way there. After navigating blindly i arrived abit too late as the group had already unloaded and taken off. So while I was chasing the sound of distant roaring bike echoes, I bumped into a group of 8 riders which I thought was Dirtriderz but instead being a local cohort lead by a guy called Franky. So I tagged on with them and we undertook fast flowing tight  trails and afew hill climbs all day long.

Most of these tight tracks we're very faint'n' fresh & hadn't been broken into yet.

We even carved out new tracks thru dense forest. Franky told me that he maps these tight  tracks by walking around the forest with his dog during the week. I placed much trust in Franky's local knowledge & judgement & this paid out for the entire 64km course of the ride. The entry to most of these tracks were completely discreet & unrecognisable from the fire trails.

Although up to now I have cringed and been repelled by these goats trails / tight  tracks& this sorta technical riding- today I thoroughly enjoy them and loved jumping from one tight  track to the other. The group was also fun to be with and thank them for their similar lead, cornerman and Sweep system. As usual I can't remember all their names but I'll definitely be back to ride with Franky, Paul & co. again. Franky's Paul's and the rest of the group's care factor was very high and generous.

They gave me many good tips, one of them being to bring a dust mask & grippy front tyre next time I return back here.

Upon arriving back to carpark I met up with 2 remaining dirtriderz from Carrum Downs who'd already loaded and stories to tell. Thanks for the beer fellas.

Despite the initial setbacks the day can only be described as Serendipity.

1899fcbf32b733d4a3d746dd53913829.jpg&key=e585d12609d49b773222633ca2df09f2d29c556ace7555e51161e916b835890f9fd3b50231b9c81834c6c0c0cb784447.jpg&key=131e9801e481f0bf11194e54f41f3355d373accfc833ec473a8a9ff483547cd8

• Like 3

I have also riden with Frankie at hazel wood before with AMTRA. Frankie seems to know the area like the back of his hand and spends all of his time with his dog creating great flowing  trails. The day I road with him we covered about 80km of which all but 5 were tight  trails. I recon Frankie is in his 70s and still outroad me on the day.

Sounds like you had a great day.

• Like 1

Just don't mention 13 slices of Ham to Frankie
Don't know what that means
but just like I would for any other good helpful bloke I'm singing franky's song today.
Maybe I just might take 13 slices of ham to Hazelwood next time
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ouzo said:

but just like I would for any other good helpful bloke I'm singing franky's song today.

Yeah thats a great idea, Frank would really appreciate that :lol:.

Greasa led another another awesome loop of about 60kms very similar too last week, i reckon i know 7 other blokes who slept very well last night, i was absolutely knackered.Looking forward to the next one , thanks again to Greasa and the other blokes for making it a great day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

I really wouldn't do that !! it goes back a long way when he posted up that he asked for 12 slices & the girl gave him 13, it turned into a bum fight & he did a Jim Richards after a Bathurst type rant on another forum & has not been back since ;)

Ha ha ha

Yest he told me the story about something that happened a long time ago- a raffle- particular bike- accusations made etc.

But I make a point in life to never fight other people's Wars and battles as well as avoiding & omitting all politics from with forums.

But I must say that yesterday he was a complete gentleman and a great host of his ride. For someone like me to finish 60 km of fast goats Trails and  tracks is a major accomplishment and required much backing as I would never attempt to do these trails on my own

• Like 1

Had an awesome day but cut short due to lack of fitness.

Met up with Ausberg, Yamijim, katman, bigpete and stinky at Longwarry, thinking ouzo was meeting us at the unload point. So quick trip down there, get ready and no ouzo. There was another car there at the time but a couple of the guys said ouzo drives a blue ute, so we decide to head off.

With the ride listed as a Level 2 I actually kept it for once as was planned. The trails are certainly level 2 but you needed to have some fitness level to cruise the whole day for the 60km I had planned. Everyone was keeping a steady pace so only a few small breaks with a longer lunch break was certainly welcomed by me as well as the group. 

At one stage I thought my rear breaks were cactus but on closer inspection my clearance of trail trash, sticks and bark, had jammed in between the foot lever and peg even through the frame. I still didn't have much rear brakes though so spent most of the day on the fronts. I started relying to much on them causing a front end slide and dismount banging me up a little. That wasn't the only one though. Some how I managed to lose balance in a straight line in a quad bike size rut, which if it was caught on camera could almost be a funny home video.

Only heard of one other having some offs for the day, but in these trails a RM250 tuned for WOT would catch most of us out. With my last off having spent me a little too much I developed some cramping/stitch in my stomach muscles so we took the easy route back to the cars having clocked up 52km for the day. As katman said, I slept very well and looking forward to the 2+ coming up. 

Big shout out to stinky for offering and sweeping all day. While he didn't need to do much I bet he coughed up a lung or 2 of the dusty trails. I havn't seen it that dry ever. Bring on the rain.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Snowman said:

Sounds like a great day and I am looking forward to joining the l2+ in a couple of weeks.

Will post ride either tomorrow or Thursday 

• Like 2