5 5
Pepperjack

Wombat play - 14th L1++

SO.. I put this down as L1++ ... meaning it would be quite cruisey and perhaps some hard bits, maybe. 

Arrived EARLY (for once) and no sign of @Roland or @BearMX .. I was early. but I often arrive on time and feel like I'm late so I got there early. anyways.. not long after Roland rocks up with a schmicko lookin' Sherco.. and then so does BearMX in the Avalon with the Yellow Fever on the back. 

chit chat.. on the pegs. off down nuggety, slight diversion along the way to warm up.. down a more challenging track.. we're hardly warmed up at this time! .. it went down down down.. rutted.. rocky, worse.. one of those hills where you think.. do I have to come back up this..??

anyways.. Roland said he knew it and there was an end in sight with a nice view so we headed up to that. 

This was NOT L1 at all.. I'm going for L2/3.. quite challenging - but fun. 

then we stopped to enjoy the view.. back down and up that bruddy hill.. a few new clutch plates later we were at the top.

some more nuggety then up to blue gum - BearMX says.. jees, my back is a bit wishy washy.. FLAT tyre. His alibi was that everything on his bike was Jap the only Euro thing was the tube and therefore that was the issue.... yeah, right. Took us ages, Micheal worked up a nice sweat while Roland and I added little value aside from humor and lever passing. Put it all back together and there was another hole.. the decision was made to just limp back to the cars and tbh I was more shagged in a shorter time that I had thought I would be.. that hill.. was a workout for sure. Plus.. I had two solid ADV ride days Fri/Sat .. that's my story anyways and I'm sticking with it. 

always good to ride with the BearMX and great to meet another local in @Roland hope to see you more mate. 

Pics...1229feb308dc7597d7ea325608e6ba3d.jpg325fdfb76b56172c9f154488cd174fce.jpgacc542836810f9bd2d2b6d21b8d983b5.jpg

• Like 8

Loved the L1 hills!!?!!? Glad i didn't take the road / trail tyre shod DR650 on this ride. Thanks Pepperjack!

I keep hearing people say they like hills, all i know is I had to hang on to the DRZ tractor with a tight grip as it pulled me along; I guess it's better than walking (but not much). Getting up lookout hill with the steep rocky bits was something different but the view from the top was great. Coming back down I had the same thoughts as Pepperjack; how we'd get back up the earlier hill. Credit to the guys, we all eventually made it up without too much drama but I'll admit I was pretty stuffed by the effort as well.

The flat was a bummer and finished the day too early. I like the photos but not sure you quite caught the look of disgust in my eyes. I hate working on tyres with thick tubes at the best of times. Apparently I swore a bit working on my Pirelli thick tube fitted wheel. I now especially hate Pirelli thick tubes. I was thinking a ceremonial "Burning of the Pirelli thick tube" would be satisfying when I got home but in deference to the environment decided against it. Maybe a few swings at it with a sharp axe might suffice?

Thanks Pepperjack for getting me off the couch and good to meet and ride with Roland; look forward to catching up again on Andy's Wombat ride in a couple of weeks.

• Like 7

Hate to burst your bubble mate but Pirelli tubes are made in Indonesia. But knowing you the ones you have are from the 70’s and probably euro.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rwcfrank said:

Hate to burst your bubble mate but Pirelli tubes are made in Indonesia. But knowing you the ones you have are from the 70’s and probably euro. emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Euro brand is close enough for me and my prejudice. Even the Pirelli stickers are starting to lift; yeah, I know, they're probably made in China.

It wasn't an old tube; I horde all the good 70's stuff for the KXs and CRF.

I like how eccentricity develops with age.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dazzrmx said:

I think I know that hill, well done getting up it, if its the same hill its a solid level 3.

Yeah, it wasn't actually that bad but was expecting a cruisy L2 ride at most on the day. The rock wall at the top of lookout hill was definitely the toughest thing I've come across on the DRZ; pity the camera wasn't rolling for it.

Yeah, it wasn't actually that bad but was expecting a cruisy L2 ride at most on the day. The rock wall at the top of lookout hill was definitely the toughest thing I've come across on the DRZ; pity the camera wasn't rolling for it.

Spewing i missed the ride Michael,looked like a lotta fun
  • Like 1