brucektmguy

Warning re spiked tracks Toolangi State Forest

From 4WD Victoria FB page

Spiked Tracks In Toolangi State Forest
We have received numerous social media and news reports of steel spikes being placed on tracks in the Toolangi area. A number of vehicles and motorcycles have had multiple tires spiked by large steel spikes hammered into the track surface and covered by leaves and debris to hide the spikes.
The two tracks involved were Martins Track and Breako'day Track. More tracks may be involved.
Local rangers and Police are involved but they really need to catch the culprits in the act to apprehend them or make a prosecution, 
The spikes are designed to maximize damage to tires and destroy the tire rendering the vehicle un-drivable.
This extremely dangerous practice can affect all road users from bushwalkers, horse riders, motorcycle riders and any vehicle including CFA and Rangers. People visiting Toolangi are asked to report any suspicious activity they may witness to Police, local Rangers or Four Wheel Drive Victoria and everyone is asked to be vigilant when using the area.
photo courtesy Pat Calinans 4x4 Adventures

29E02967-714C-4035-A4B8-AF8A6020A0E3.png

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Damn greenies! They have absolutely no idea of how many lives they are putting at risk! I ride there fairly regularly and on one of those tracks if I see anyone doing that god effing help em!

• Like 5

Wonder what crime this would fall under and what penalty could apply in the unlikely situation of someone bothering to catch someone who is doing it. If there was a commercial interest rather than recreational interest I'm sure our pollies would be all over it and these loonies would be caught (like in spiking strawberries).

Having watched CSI over the years it makes me question where these spikes can be purchased, to determine who actually purchased them?
Sad to see such dangerous acts against innocent people enjoying our forests...
Will the government protect us from these unlawful dangers and prosecute those that choose to place people lives at risk accordingly?
images.jpeg-31.jpeg

10 hours ago, BearMX said:

Wonder what crime this would fall under and what penalty could apply in the unlikely situation of someone bothering to catch someone who is doing it. If there was a commercial interest rather than recreational interest I'm sure our pollies would be all over it and these loonies would be caught (like in spiking strawberries).

CRIMES ACT 1958 - SECT 23

Conduct endangering persons

A person who, without lawful excuse, recklessly engages in conduct that places or may place another person in danger of serious injury is guilty of an indictable offence.

Penalty:     Level 6 imprisonment (5 years maximum).

S. 24 substituted by No. 10233 s. 8(2), amended by Nos 49/1991 s. 119(1) 
(Sch. 2 item 12), 48/1997 
s. 60(1)(Sch. 1 item 16), 7/2008 s. 4.

Actual likely penalty? A stern slap on the wrist.

I'm sure the local police would like nothing more than to charge the offender, but would be almost impossible without a good eye witness or direct information of the offender's identity.....

Was up at Toolangi yesterday... didn't see anything out of the ordinary...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That end of toolangi has been redone recently. Roughly graded and new gravel. The authorities are out there all the time. So maybe they will be more vigilant and have a descent look around and not just aimlessly just cruise around to satisfy their timesheet.
I saw some 4bys had already ripped the area up and played in the mud leaving deep ruts in a sensitive area which is very dissapointing. These guys don't help to keep the peace with all users.
There is no excuse for the setting up of mantraps so hopefully these people are caught or they realize how serious an offense this is and stop before somebody is seriously hurt or killed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simonj said:

CRIMES ACT 1958 - SECT 23

Conduct endangering persons

A person who, without lawful excuse, recklessly engages in conduct that places or may place another person in danger of serious injury is guilty of an indictable offence.

Penalty:     Level 6 imprisonment (5 years maximum).

S. 24 substituted by No. 10233 s. 8(2), amended by Nos 49/1991 s. 119(1) 
(Sch. 2 item 12), 48/1997 
s. 60(1)(Sch. 1 item 16), 7/2008 s. 4.

Actual likely penalty? A stern slap on the wrist.

I'm sure the local police would like nothing more than to charge the offender, but would be almost impossible without a good eye witness or direct information of the offender's identity.....

Was up at Toolangi yesterday... didn't see anything out of the ordinary...

Another appropriate charge:

CRIMES ACT 1958 - SECT 26

Setting traps etc. to cause serious injury

A person who sets a trap or device with the intention of causing, or being reckless as to whether or not there is caused, serious injury to another person (whether a trespasser or not) is guilty of an indictable offence. 

Penalty:     Level 5 imprisonment (10 years maximum). 

S. 27 substituted by No. 10233 s. 8(2), amended by Nos 49/1991 s. 119(1) 
(Sch. 2 item 14), 
48/1997 
s. 60(1)(Sch. 1 item 11). 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, brucektmguy said:

From 4WD Victoria FB page

Spiked Tracks In Toolangi State Forest
We have received numerous social media and news reports of steel spikes being placed on tracks in the Toolangi area. A number of vehicles and motorcycles have had multiple tires spiked by large steel spikes hammered into the track surface and covered by leaves and debris to hide the spikes.
The two tracks involved were Martins Track and Breako'day Track. More tracks may be involved.
Local rangers and Police are involved but they really need to catch the culprits in the act to apprehend them or make a prosecution, 
The spikes are designed to maximize damage to tires and destroy the tire rendering the vehicle un-drivable.
This extremely dangerous practice can affect all road users from bushwalkers, horse riders, motorcycle riders and any vehicle including CFA and Rangers. People visiting Toolangi are asked to report any suspicious activity they may witness to Police, local Rangers or Four Wheel Drive Victoria and everyone is asked to be vigilant when using the area.
photo courtesy Pat Calinans 4x4 Adventures

29E02967-714C-4035-A4B8-AF8A6020A0E3.png

Looks like i’ll be altering sundays plans.

4 hours ago, brucektmguy said:

Another appropriate charge:

CRIMES ACT 1958 - SECT 26

Setting traps etc. to cause serious injury

A person who sets a trap or device with the intention of causing, or being reckless as to whether or not there is caused, serious injury to another person (whether a trespasser or not) is guilty of an indictable offence. 

Penalty:     Level 5 imprisonment (10 years maximum). 

S. 27 substituted by No. 10233 s. 8(2), amended by Nos 49/1991 s. 119(1) 
(Sch. 2 item 14), 
48/1997 
s. 60(1)(Sch. 1 item 11). 

Good call Bruce! The setting traps is more specific, but I say throw the book at them anyway and let the court sort it out.... Cheers..

• Like 4

Any of these dickheads caught with anything remotely looking like these spikes on their possession ie in the car . Better have a rock solid reason for carrying them. And even then their names recorded for alibi checking if further instances like this happen. I will make sure the trip to court is worth it if i see them in the act.

• Like 6