tony13

Which gps

Hello guys just wondering what gps most of you run on your rides?

I want to get one which has maps etc. Easy to use, as my sense of direction is poor. So what's a good brand to get and does it have

Built in maps? Appreciate your input, cheers Tony!

i have a garman 300 with oztopo maps . hooks up with sats fast and dose not drop out even at bottom of gulleys .you can get a ram mount to go on bars .works very well and batterys last all day

Are the maps preloaded? Or do you have to buy them

Separate? And what do I expect to pay for one?

mine didnt but you can now .the 600 has maps preloaded

I also has the Garmin Oregon 300. It's ace.

I paid 200 bucks for Garmin Australia Topo maps. The Shonky system was/is no where near good enough for what I use it for, but it's understandable that 200 dollars is 200 dollars and that heaps are fine with free mappage like Shonky.

Edited by Hoobz904

I can confirm that Motoz text me today at 4.55pm about GPSeseses. Specifically the Oregon 300 and 550.

[insert spooky and eerie Twilight Zone theme moozick here]

Guest noidea

Garmin 60CSX with RAM mount

+1.

I got my maps free from the internet.

I could probable link where from If I wanted.

can i get some more info off you guys with the garmin 60csx?

1. what did you pay for it? recommend it?

2. what maps do you have on it? are they good quality? i ride mostly in the vic high country (dargo/licola area), is there good maps of around there?

3. so RAMs mount hey? you mean on the bars? got a pic? does it stay put and not wobble around when you ride?

im in the market for a GPS, and want to mount it to my bike on the bars preferably. going to use it both on and off road, so want a good one. i will run a rams mount on my road bike with the gps, you never know when it might come in handy ;) (if i need to make myself scarce haha).

Garmin 62s. Sits on the bars nicely, waterproof, very strong signal, barometric altimeter, magnetic compass that works when you are still, colour screen. I am very happy with it though the base map that comes with it is virtually useless. I have downloaded a Meridian Maps map of Wombat that cost me $25 on a CD and is excellent. I'm very happy with this unit.

Just found on ebay this garmin rino 650 gps uhf combo . sound good ?

Check Johnny appleseed I saw a price for 2 x rhinos at a sweet price - can't remember but it was tempting - until I remembered all the other things I need to spend my money on - tyres, sprockets oil, filters, chain sliders. etc. etc.etc

I have a garmin oregon 550, doesnt come with maps though, the're 200 or u can get them elsewhere. RAM bar mounts for around 50. Can see the screen more easily in the sun than in shade and the touch screen works with gloves on.

Yep, I installed one recently and it is heaps better than the original Garmin one. Bought it direct from RAM online and I got it within 2 days!

starting to use my garmin 62 sc and it seems very easy to read and use apart from my lack of gps knowledge.

mounted to the bars on a ram mount but it seems to stick out a bit more then i like. i have the double swivel ball set up and was wondering how i can get it closer to the bars and further away from me for if i go over the bars i don't want to hit it. are there more compact mounts that are any good or has any body modified there mount somehow? also i still need to be able to see it as i'm riding.

any ideas or pics on your setup would be great.

I haven't got a pic Cluffie, but what I did for a while when I was using it on the bars was to zip tie it flat onto the bar pad.

I don't use one there anymore, I've got a Garmin Oregon, I usually pop one running in my camelback on rides where I have no idea where they are taking me :)

If I'm out on my own checking things up in detail I use my iPad (massive screen, but just whip it out of my camelback when I need it) with MotionX, it's brilliant for details using google maps. Or I also have been trying to use my Motorola RAZ/M with the Maverick App using the Microsoft hybrid maps. It seems good to me so far.

Anyone know of any other real good android GPS apps?