Tracey Pepstar

Help? Whats going on with my bike?

I tried to take my bike out Dissa today and it wasn't starting / running very well. Then it started making some weird sounds

Got it on Video here...

New starter? Valves clearances?

Its 10 years old, not ridden much in the last 6 years but has been getting some love lately!

I'd say old mate is on the money, bendix maybe rooted or the bushes it sits in maybe flogged out making the bendix not engage properly.

Hendrix doesn't sound good at all also how old is the fuel?
Fuel is fresh. I rode it 2 weeks ago at Beechworth, ran ok, was a little hard to start sometimes but not like today.

I did have an electrical issue at Beechworth with it shorting out at the ignition. My partner rewired it all, so we thought we had fixed the problem.

Seems like a different issue now.
Poor old Husky needs some love!

Yep bendix not throwing but if battery is down this will happen, you could put jumper leads from car and see how it goes. Yes if the starter is tired or dry you will have the same effect but at this stage I would make sure the battery is ok.

It is not a fuel issue

• Like 2

Yep bendix not throwing but if battery is down this will happen, you could put jumper leads from car and see how it goes. Yes if the starter is tired or dry you will have the same effect but at this stage I would make sure the battery is ok.
It is not a fuel issue
Yeah your right it's not fuel just thought it may have been old fuel might've explained the poor running
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tracey Pepstar said:
13 minutes ago, Hummdinger said:
starter clutch

Why do you say that?

I replaced one in a wr250f once that was behaving just like that,, i dont know if your bike has a similar set up, but a new starter clutch bearing fixed my problem , was like new again , rather exxy part though

I replaced one in a wr250f once that was behaving just like that,, i dont know if your bike has a similar set up, but a new starter clutch bearing fixed my problem , was like new again , rather exxy part though
Hmm ok, will keep that one in mind. Will rule out the cheaper options first.
Thanks for the info!

Flat battery??? Boss is at work so I pinched his multimeter!

12.6v when turned off

Lowest it went down to was 9.67 volts as it was starting. Then when running was sitting between 12.8 to 14.4 when running.

I dont know if this is normal or not, I just know how to use the multimeter

9f5ec72efca2028615de089de1abd0f1.jpg&key=75cba1f7aebc17af8e7bda778ef2910a3dff12b0c11995f986ff603293868230

01960fea6c6ebe73aaecb5aa0ac24265.jpg&key=f07a289be1ba41af272595aa1c2425c8fc69b67a6c1fa837e3743c9f40877f73

6 minutes ago, Tracey Pepstar said:

Flat battery ruled out...Boss is at work so I pinched his multimeter! 9f5ec72efca2028615de089de1abd0f1.jpg&key=75cba1f7aebc17af8e7bda778ef2910a3dff12b0c11995f986ff603293868230

Should be 13.4 Volts !

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tracey Pepstar said:
19 minutes ago, eagle said:
Should be 13.4 Volts !

Is that at 13.4 when the bike is running or off? Sorry, have added more info to my post above

The battery with nothing connected to it should read 13.4 Volts dc

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tracey Pepstar said:

Ok, I guess I will be buying a new battery! Thanks Guys emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Looks like your getting plenty of good advice.

I hate buying something if its not absolutely necessary. I'd still try the basics before I buy. Someone mentioned jump starting it. Also try 1. clean the terminals, it might not be getting charged fully and when you crank it it starts to drop limit whats getting through 2. Running it on a good trickle charger they not only recharge but go through a special ramp up and deep charge cycle. I've had car batteries that looked dead and have continued to run well for years after a decent charge.

My KTM once was running and starting fine on a desert ride in mid 30's weather. We stopped for a break. Bike was totally dead when we went to take off. Figured battery must have had a massive failure. Started pulling a donor as mine was estart only but when I took the terminals off mine there was just a hint of corrosion under one of the terminals and that's all it took.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I got a new battery, all seemed fine..
Then today my partner went to turn it on, it started ok, he took it for a ride across the paddock then a few mins later tried to start again and the starter made the same spinning sound.

After a few minutes he tried to start it again and it was fine! So its just happening randomly.

Tested the starter electrically and it seems ok. Should I be looking at the starter clutch now or are there any other ideas? Would a starter issue (other than electrical) also show intermittent issues like this?

I had an issue like this on my KTM, 1 of the brushes was tight & every now & then it would jam, took starter out pulled end cap off & lightly filled were the starter sits

• Like 1

ive had this issue with my 17 300 since new. i just put it down to 'one of those KTM things'. sounds like the starter isnt enguaging all the time which mine does at least once every ride, but when it does enguage my bike fires up almost instantly. yours doesnt.

suggest getting the clearances checked (which wont help the enguaging problem), i just plan to live with the intermittent start issues, when my bike makes that noise I get off the starter and then give it a couple of seconds, try again and its running.

I think the starters on 2 stroke & 4 strokes work differently, mine & Tracey's are 4 strokes which is why i'm thinking it maybe the same cause ?

What model is your bike?

If it's a pre-KTM husky (TE310, TE490, TE510) then it sounds like the one way sprag clutch for the start motor. Common problem.