walkahz

Bike Washing!!

Bike washing! Its a chore that we all face after every ride (for most of us anyway).

No matter how I try I always find dirty spots once the bike drys and missed spots and the bike never really looks properly clean like some others bikes.

What products and processes does everyone use to get their pride and joy looking new again after a day of abuse?

Normally my bike wash goes like this.

• Remove air filter and plug intake, Put bung in exhaust.
  • Wheel it out onto the grass and wash it down with the hose to get off the big clumps and rehydrate the dirt.
  • Hit it with the pressure washer to remove everything i can.
  • Put some truck wash into the soap tank and rinse the bike with soapy water and then brush it down.
  • any trouble spots are hit with degreaser and extra scrubbing especially around the chain.
  • Spray with WD40 and remove bungs then start up the bike to dry out the water on engine components.

My biggest drama is once the bike drys dirty water has leaked out and dried making for dirty spots.

The other is that the bike always looks dull and not nice and shiny. Are there any products people use to make it all look nice again? Silicone spray?

• Like 1

Hey mate
I pretty much go through the same process. I use the pressure washer straight off the bat, get everything off the bike. The decreased I use is called Dabotex and it is amazing. Gets everything off.
I use the compressor to dry off all the spots that hold water and spray the chain. Lube the chain.
I used to use a silicone spray called SC1 which is amazing but I semi neglect it now. It shines the whole bike up. Spray the plastics, leave it for about 5mins and just wipe the plastics down with a dry cloth ca1b6c8bee4c62179cb1dd46da77e175.jpg

• Like 1

I use truck wash as well. It's better to leave it a few hours, the longer the better. Seems to clean and shine better but it's not practical when you're in a hurry. A quick wash with kitten wash and wax after it's cleaned up works well especially if your not going to ride it again for a while.

My mate uses a product I think called simple green; it's awesome, cleans straight away without scrubbing and even cleans light scuff marks from your boots off the back mudguard without scrubbing. It's quick and easy and seems to leave a better shine as well.

Armour all brushed on with a paint brush on the plastics works great too; brush it on thick and leave it on without buffing even if it looks a bit wet or streaky in spots. It'll dry in time and smooth out and gloss up nicely and seems to soak into the plastic doing it this way. The plastic beads water and still looks shiny when you wash it after the next ride.

Never use degreaser near the shock; it'll break down the bump rubber. Also keep it away from the swingarm / wheel / headstem / linkage bearings and countershaft sprocket. If you need to clean these areas wipe them down with a wd40 soaked rag.

• Like 1

I assume your using ct18 truck wash, try ct20, same as ct18 I believe but with wax in it. Helps protect and better shine.

• Like 2

After killing wheel bearings faster than a bog hole. . I now only use a garden hose for spraying my bike. It never gets real clean. But I'm happy with that. could always sponge it down if I wanted to. 

Spray on your favorite soap Leave on for about 15min Hose off. Air compressor to get rid of trapped water.  Then I am ready to service the bike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser said:

After killing wheel bearings faster than a bog hole. . I now only use a garden hose for spraying my bike. It never gets real clean. But I'm happy with that. could always sponge it down if I wanted to. 

Spray on your favorite soap Leave on for about 15min Hose off. Air compressor to get rid of trapped water.  Then I am ready to service the bike.

Best bikes that can handle a pressure washer are Kawasaki. Worst is KTM (and I'm guessing your Husky is the same).

• Like 1

After a ride i go to the car wash, spray it down with a can of degreaser, wait a couple of minutes, hit it with the pressure washer.

The drive home with it on the trailer dries up excess water, once home if i can be bothered i’ll remove air filter, plug intake, spray degreaser in the airbox and hose out.

Yes, i’ve spent enough on wheel bearings and degreaser to buy another house.

:cottonfioc-01:

And when i want her to look pretty i hit her with tyre shine.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cruiser said:

like Cruiser I just use a tap/hose for most of my bike washing - the exception being that on really muddy rides I'll take my weed sprayer full of truck wash (CT18 currently) with me and spray the bike once loaded on the trailer, I'll then stop on the way home at a car wash and give it a blast to get the bulk of the mud off (better there than in my yard!) but i avoid the bearings etc... I then give it a better go at home....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BearMX said:

Best bikes that can handle a pressure washer are Kawasaki. Worst is KTM (and I'm guessing your Husky is the same).

My 08 husky was the worst. I could go through a set of wheel bearing every week with my endeavors to clean it properly with a pressure washer. purely user error cleaning too hard around the bearing areas.

Hose the bike down if muddy, mix C18 and Simple Green and warm water in a sprayer, leave on the bike for about 15-20 mins but not in direct sunlight then hose down with a garden hose, finishing it off with WD on the chain and motor.

During summer or when l'm not riding for a few months then l would spend the time stripping the bike down and degreasing the entire bike, gumpton paste on the plastics for the scuff marks and old electric toothbrush for the chain then a bubble bath before it's bedtime:P

• Like 1