cluffie

Cleaning up riding trails for the safety of yourself and others.

Just thought i would ask what other people do regulary,have done before or have never done while riding out on bush trails and tracks?

For me, (if i've got time) i will move,break off,make a diversion around an object that i feel is very unsafe and could cause a major injury to myself or another rider. If it's really bad i will stop no matter what and try and rectify the problem the best i can. My thinking is, if i hit an object or have a near miss then somebody else will also and eventually another rider will get stung. Doing this gives me some pleasure as i have done my bit.

Some examples of this are -      Removing elevated sticks that are facing an oncoming rider (like a spear).

Making a stump or branch more visible if it is at knee height on a turn or is a danger to upper body and head.

Stopping and moving a large loose rock off the middle of the track on a limited vision corner.

I know some people don't really care,tear arse flat out everywhere and think it is what it is.  I wouldn't mind hearing from a few members on what they do or think and getting some productive feedback.

For me motorcycles are dangerous and need to be respected so i try and make it as safe and enjoyable as i can, within reason of course. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Yeah the bloody sticks coming straight at you in a corner are a problem , and should be moved!:o

• Like 2

good job cluffie,          i like  to drive down single track in my dozer and make them into lovely smooth firetrails.

sorry , couldn't help myself bit of misplaced humour there

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, orangeboy said:

good job cluffie,          i like  to drive down single track in my dozer and make them into lovely smooth firetrails.

sorry , couldn't help myself bit of misplaced humour there

You would probably do a better job then them. The contractors they use are pretty ordinary and make unnecessary destruction and so much mess and the work itself is sub standard imo, speechless.  There's purely a lack of good supervision also to let them get away with it and sign it off.

Other examples that can need attention are -   Bundling up or moving old fencing wire lying on are near the main track.

Bending over or breaking off random star pickets that are in the riding path.

Placing a long stick or small log in a random hole to stop riders hitting it.

• Like 1

does my head in when they bulldoze 200mtrs of single track ,cut down trees to block them off every 50mtrs dig big trenches and basically desecrate the bush to safe it from us dirty disgusting dirtbike riders riding along a single track that basically just  resembles a game trail

• Like 6

I thought everyone did this.

A bit of clearing is part of looking after your mates and the trks we want to ride. Spear sticks are the first thing I like to get rid of. Had my fair share of near misses while out riding. And a couple of good contacts on the helmet or chest. 

• Like 7

does my head in when they bulldoze 200mtrs of single track ,cut down trees to block them off every 50mtrs dig big trenches and basically desecrate the bush to safe it from us dirty disgusting dirtbike riders riding along a single track that basically just  resembles a game trail

These guys should be charged and find for what they do to the Forest.
  • Like 3

I can't remember who got knocked off the bike at Dissa about 6 months ago, copped a stick in between the arm and chest! Had a bit of luck he was laying on his arse, and the bike went down the embankment, just a little bruising.  

• Like 2

Good thread - I snap off the 'spear' type sticks where we stop for a rest or help a rider, but don't go out of my way to jam on the brakes, turn around, find the spear and snap it off.

• Like 3

I also stop and maintain trails sometimes as needed, more on social rides as I struggle keeping up on the faster rides at the best of times. Also on social rides when not leading or sweeping I tend to be jumping off the bike a lot mid pack at obstacles that could cause dramas so as everyone is safe or assisted if needed. The bush trails are always evolving from one ride to the next so if we can help maintain them then we are looking out for ourselves and one another in the future.

• Like 7

Great topic!!!

I've been laughed at many times for stopping and doing the odd bit of track maintenance like clearing a fallen branch lying in a bad angle up a steep greasy hill or putting in a kicker before a large log instead of digging a trench in front of it or filling in deep ruts/ water erosion's with rocks or covering wombat holds with branches.

As much as l love obstacles on a trail, it really irks me that a technical trail is ruined by multiple ruts by inexperience riders digging trenches when they can't get over things instead of stopping, thinking about it an maybe ask for assistance or just bulldog it over it - over time these multi ruts turn into deep water erosion's and the track is ruined!!

Edited by ohmygewd
Excellent grammar :P
  • Like 7

Good thread - I snap off the 'spear' type sticks where we stop for a rest or help a rider, but don't go out of my way to jam on the brakes, turn around, find the spear and snap it off.
Maybe you should turn around if you nearly hit it and it is bad. Next ride you or somebody else may hit it.
Another thing is to keep it in your mind and fix it up on the next ride on that track. Good work.

Great topic!!!
I've been laughed out many times for stopping and doing the odd bit of track maintenance like clearing a fallen branch lying in a bad angle up a steep greasy hill or putting in a kicker before a large log instead of digging a trench in front of it or filling in deep ruts/ water erosion's with rocks or covering wombat holds with branches.
As much as l love obstacles on a trail, it really irks me that a technical trail is ruined by multiple ruts by inexperience riders digging trenches when they can't get over things instead of stopping, thinking about it an maybe ask for assistance or just bulldog it over it - over time these multi ruts turn into deep water erosion's and the track is ruined!!

Great work,well done.
I've come across this unnecassary trench digging and trail destruction many times,it's so frustrating and sometimes heart breaking. Once i was riding along a regular trail that i knew well but hadn't been there for a week or two. I rode over a larger log to find that some joker had dug a axle deep hole on the other side while he was attempting to get over this log,wtf? The log had reasonably clear access both sides so there was no excuse for this.
Anyway,my front wheel went in this axle deep hole and i went over the hangers and landed on the top of my head compressing my neck and i was not feeling the best. I got up in amazement on what these others riders had done.
Purely no idea or respect for other riders and another hazard for unsuspecting riders.
It's amazing how quick track conditions can change and this is why you should always ride at 90% or below unless your under controlled race conditions. For me,It's all about living another day and being able to ride the next weekend injury free.
  • Like 6

I thought everyone did this.
A bit of clearing is part of looking after your mates and the trks we want to ride. Spear sticks are the first thing I like to get rid of. Had my fair share of near misses while out riding. And a couple of good contacts on the helmet or chest. 
Awesome stuff cruiser,this is what i like and want to hear.
The more years,places and times that you ride you see and come across a wider range of circumstances and i think this makes these potential hazards more identifyable to yourself.
Getting older and wiser also helps. (there's got to be one advantage,lol.)

This post is about awareness to forum members and improving all riders safety.
Look after your mates and yourself and do your bit.

Good subject for discussion Cluffie.... I usually carry a Bahco folding handsaw, great for removing dangerous head height branches, or clearing a path around an impassable fallen tree... about $20 from Bunnings, weighs nothing and comes in KTM orange...... 

As well as keeping an eye out for the fixed obstacles on the trail, I try to keep the possibility of oncoming riders in mind on the faster sections, saw a nasty head-on years ago, not nice..... plus the 'roos and 4wd's, maybe it's safer to stay in bed! Cheers,

• Like 3

I also stop and maintain trails sometimes as needed, more on social rides as I struggle keeping up on the faster rides at the best of times. Also on social rides when not leading or sweeping I tend to be jumping off the bike a lot mid pack at obstacles that could cause dramas so as everyone is safe or assisted if needed. The bush trails are always evolving from one ride to the next so if we can help maintain them then we are looking out for ourselves and one another in the future.
Great work noodle.
Yeh, sometimes in a faster group ride it's a bit hard but it's all about doing your best. You can always keep the hazard(or type of) in your mind and address it if you return to that riding area or if you come across a similar hazard at a different ride area.
Cruisy rides are great and definately make it easier to remove hazards but also completely different hazards can imerge when you ride faster and take different lines.

I went extons rd a while ago and it’s disgusting how much rubbish is left behind. But I blame the council how hard would it be to put a bin there? Seriously 

• Like 1

Good subject for discussion Cluffie.... I usually carry a Bahco folding handsaw, great for removing dangerous head height branches, or clearing a path around an impassable fallen tree... about $20 from Bunnings, weighs nothing and comes in KTM orange...... 
As well as keeping an eye out for the fixed obstacles on the trail, I try to keep the possibility of oncoming riders in mind on the faster sections, saw a nasty head-on years ago, not nice..... plus the 'roos and 4wd's, maybe it's safer to stay in bed! Cheers,
A foldable saw is a great idea. Those head high branches are something to keep an eye out for but every now and then they will get you and they can pull you off the bike or compress your neck.
I get so annoyed with myself for not seeing it when i hit one,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Awesome work simonj.
  • Like 1

I went extons rd a while ago and it’s disgusting how much rubbish is left behind. But I blame the council how hard would it be to put a bin there? Seriously 
Extons rd is regulary like this,it's hard to understand for me.Total disrespect for the bush and the riding community by giving us a bad image. These offenders are usually only "claytons" riders and are not in it for the long haul,so don't care..
A bin can make it worse as some people start to dump household rubbish next to the bin.
It simple,"you take it in,you take it out".
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, HairyTrails said:

yep - rubbish left behind in the bush is a big problem - particularly at our parking spots as it really is a poor reflection on us as a community.

Whilst it would be nice for there to be bins I agree with Cluffie that it can lead to bigger problems, but i'm sorry mate, blaming the councils for the rubbish left behind due to there not being any bins is a joke - try blaming the lazy disrespectful ignorant c**ts that bought it in without taking it home....

• Like 4

Without going back through all these great posts and pulling quotes I will just add my bit.

Track "maintenance" is something that I do, especially in areas where I ride regularly.

Mostly for safety but sometimes just to make something flow better. I know the more experienced riders like as many obstacles as they can find, the harder the better.

BUT, probably 80% of trail riders aren't at this level and sometimes even a smallish obstacle ends up getting a heap of ruts dug on both sides of it. To me this starts to just wreck the track.

As mentioned above, a little kicker on a log, removing a slippery angled branch or big rocks on a hill keeps the track in a better overall condition for a longer time.

A folding pruning saw fits nicely in the bag. Sometimes I see where someone pretty keen has gone for a walk with one of Stihl's finest.

Don't get me started on the amount of damage done by the dept of forever changing name to try and close a track or the absolute pigs that come into the bush to dump their shit.

• Like 7

Awesome thread!

I often stop to fix up things like this but should do it more, Awkwardly placed branches or head height branches are my main targets.

Ive built up a few kickers over logs in the past as well but this can take a bit of time so normally only do this on solo rides.

I like the idea of a small saw. Might be a good one to fit in the tool bag.

• Like 2

Big blade with a decent lock on it makes it easier 20190124_204646.thumb.jpeg.125756bdd4dc3e871c2b0a15d8474bfd.jpeg20190124_204631.thumb.jpeg.4f51c960957a666b199e2747c8bcd940.jpeg

Far out Noodles , I promise il never say a bad word about you.
  • Haha 2