DirtriderZ
HairyTrails

Ktm 250 exc for beginner/intermediate?

This is completly the wrong type of bike,don't go there.
Only suited for mx tracks and for very experienced riders.
Your riding will go backwards,far to much power,flame outs galore,overheating in tougher terrain or when your stuck on a hill or in a bog,harsh on the body,dangerous deflection off trail trash, rocks and tree roots unless a fair bit of suspension tuning is done .

100 %

5 hours ago, HairyTrails said:

Well I rode my mates brand new 450 sxf factory edition and didn’t really like it, felt pretty rough but that could have been the akrapovic exhaust and it was scary quick way to much power. The erconomics felt weird but could have been just becuase I’m not used to a different bike 

I never feel confident on KTMs. I've ridden a few over the years. Ergonomically they feel cramped when seated but are good when standing and putting around (but feel like your going to fall off when at speed) compared to the Honda MX bikes (or any Jap bike). The ergonomics are pretty much the same on the 450sxf you rode as the 250 2t. The exc will feel a little taller though in the seat because of the non link rear.

I have an 07 crf450r with stock suspension and I rate it over any KTM I've ridden be it an MX or enduro model. But the sxf you rode will be heaps stiffer and harsher than an exc.

The 250 2t enginr is nothing like the 450. They are a nice little docile engine that's easy to ride, light and doesn't steer you with rotating mass and power. For trails you should like it after the crf which is what your after.

9 hours ago, HairyTrails said:

Why is that? I want a bike that can put along fire trails and dirt roads with ease 

It’ll do the firetrails and roads, but 4T’s seem to cruise better.

One of my mates did 500km at tassie on the 250 2T and had no problems.

If you buy it, you’ll adjust and you’ll be fine.

you would find a 250/300/350 enduro bike would be a better choice for the fire trails.

i would highly recommend an enduro over mx bike, but each to their own.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scottland said:

It’ll do the firetrails and roads, but 4T’s seem to cruise better.

One of my mates did 500km at tassie on the 250 2T and had no problems.

If you buy it, you’ll adjust and you’ll be fine.

you would find a 250/300/350 enduro bike would be a better choice for the fire trails.

i would highly recommend an enduro over mx bike, but each to their own.

I’m deffiently going enduro bike, I’m currently looking at a 2015 fe350, would this be a good bike? I can’t seem to find any 4 stroke 250 enduro bikes under $8500 for something newer than 2015. 

I’m deffiently going enduro bike, I’m currently looking at a 2015 fe350, would this be a good bike? I can’t seem to find any 4 stroke 250 enduro bikes under $8500 for something newer than 2015. 

You need to stretch your budget to 10k at least for something decent ,and if you intend to ride every weekend with trouble free problems or you will be spending more time and money trying to keep that old bike going in the long run.

24 minutes ago, HairyTrails said:

Bro in law bought a 2015 ktm 350. Virtually same as fe350. Great easy to ride all round bike.

Couple of good buys on Gumtree at the moment for a fe350:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/silvan/motorcycles/fe-350-dirtbike/1207616953

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/neerim-junction/motorcycles/husqvarna-fe-350/1207367766

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HairyTrails said:

I reckon so.

But I’m riding a 350 ATM so I’m biased.

• Like 1

Yamaha WR250 is a good choice as well. Very comfortable, capable, reliable and lower cost. Excellent for a wide range of rider skill / experience and types of riding.

• Like 1

Cluffie is right, the mx bike is nothing like the exc. Basically not a lot changed with the exc around that vintage, just refinements from year to year. If it is genuine 500k then it is a good buy albeit at top of range for the year. Lots of riders take off the speedo do be wary. If yowant to mellow power you can change the spring in exhaust valve, mellows it right our

hey Happy trails.   I guess you name probably describes the kind of riding you want to do...but  over the next year or so do you want to ride fire trails/flowing single. OR L3 sweaty single's with thick mud & rocky hills?

Whats your  weigh & height?

Essentially your thinking to get away from the MX bike is spot on.(I had a cr250, it was harsh)   You rode the 450SX, its also a MX bike, stay away form anything MX or version of bikes from the MX line..... Yamaha FX or KTM XC XC-f.

Get a trail/ Enduro ride.  exc exc-f   wr.....etc

KTM 250 exc-f you mentioned., Ask when the Valves were last checked.  One telling point is if it starts immediately. 

A lot of good suggestions in this thread.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 9:09 AM, HairyTrails said:

Has a purchase been made? Lots of good rides will be coming especially with all the RCHA ones next month. I for one am curious on what you end up with.

If you don't get something soon you may need to check out the ultimate enduro racing machine and Cadillac of the bush that was recently put in the forum for sale. Yes, I'm sure you guessed it - the DRZ250! (I'm sure there's now going to be a flood of posts in total agreement!). And I'm only half kidding.

• Like 3