Jump to content
HairyTrails

Ktm 250 exc for beginner/intermediate?

Recommended Posts

I wouldn’t say im a full beginner now but I deffiently need a new bike my Crf250r is Beating me up something silly every ride on the trails and I’m starting to hate riding because of it. Close ratio/bad top speed/hard suspension/bad lugging etc

I’ve always loved 4 strokes but came across a 2011 ktm 250 exc with 700kms on it for $5,500 which I think is reasonable. Are these good bikes? I want something’s I can easily ride all day without it bashing me up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ktm 350 or husky 350! Maybe the choice or wr 250 Yamaha . I have a ktm 300. & not ridden the bike for long time so I definitely need to get my bike fitness up . I'm cone,plating selling my kato 300' to a wr 250. If I find it hard going ,leg cramps feeling beat etc he he .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a 14 husky 250, awesome bikes, but it wouldn’t be my first choice as a beginner/intermediate rider. They are awesome fun, but I found they can beat you up a bit and perhaps not as forgiving.

I also agree that a KTM/Husky 350 4T or even a Beta 350, sherco 300 4T etc would be better than the 250.

Alternatively, a 300 2T that you can lug around would be easier than a 250 in certain circumstances 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the same boat, i'm going down the other side of the hill so i need a bike that won't get me into trouble later in the day ;) , i rode a Beta 250 & 300 2 stroke & found the 250 had a MX type powerband great  fun ? But could wear somebody out if there not too fit, were the 300 i could lug around on & did not need to have my finger on the clutch thinking it might stall ;)

The other thing is, i find it strange that an 8yr old bike has only 700klm on it, is should look like new ! If it's been sitting around for a long time oil/petrol would have gone off, bearings could be shot & tyres past there use by date, so it probably would need a bit of work where i would be happy with it, plus i think it is overpriced !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 11 250 are a great bike with plush oc forks.
Obviously not as good as a 17 on but a good bike. Large 11.5ltr clear tank(2010 was black) also which is great.
With low km's this bike will last for years and do 400hrs plus on the bottom end and 80hr topends.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil 143 said:

Ktm 350 or husky 350! Maybe the choice or wr 250 Yamaha . I have a ktm 300. & not ridden the bike for long time so I definitely need to get my bike fitness up . I'm cone,plating selling my kato 300' to a wr 250. If I find it hard going ,leg cramps feeling beat etc he he .

Really don’t have the money my budget is 5-6k and all of those are old and beat up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cluffie said:

The 11 250 are a great bike with plush oc forks.
Obviously not as good as a 17 on but a good bike. Large 11.5ltr clear tank(2010 was black) also which is great.
With low km's this bike will last for years and do 400hrs plus on the bottom end and 80hr topends.

It’s very clean, I was also tossing up between the ktm 250 exc or this 2014 Husqvarna te250r I found the red one looks clean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That model husky has wp 4cs forks. Absolute crap and one of the worst fork made unless you are going to swap them out for a set of oc or cc wp's but at least another $1000 to do this.

It’s very clean, I was also tossing up between the ktm 250 exc or this 2014 Husqvarna te250r I found the red one looks clean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cluffie said:

That model husky has wp 4cs forks. Absolute crap and one of the worst fork made unless you are going to swap them out for a set of oc or cc wp's but at least another $1000 to do this.

Could be worse still .... is it a black and red husky??? If so, keep away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh sorry mate,my mistake. I didn't even think that it was a red and white husky.
Now on this bike ,it has good forks(not like 4cs) but the bike can be crap. Some were ok and some had horiffic reliability problems(many lemons). The bike itself rides and goes very well but it was regulary the bike that gets towed or disrupts group rides. Unless you know the previous owner or somebody can reliably vouch for the bikes history then it's a gamble.
The 2011 250 ktm is alot better choice of the 2 bikes you listed.
Thats only my opinion on my experiences so good luck with it.

Yes it is !
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HairyTrails said:

Really don’t have the money my budget is 5-6k and all of those are old and beat up

 

1 hour ago, HairyTrails said:

Really don’t have the money my budget is 5-6k and all of those are old and beat up

Frank only wants $5k for his 2014 Sherco 300i that would be a good bike @ a great price !

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, eagle said:

 

Frank only wants $5k for his 2014 Sherco 300i that would be a good bike @ a great price !

theres a lot to be said about buying a bike from a well known member with a good reputation....

if its still available it would be well worth you getting in contact with Frank (rwcfrank) and giving this some thought...

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HairyTrails said:

Yes it is !

A couple of mates had te310’s, they were great when they were running fine, but then they became horribly unreliable as they got older.

Id say don’t get a red/black husky.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eagle said:

 

Frank only wants $5k for his 2014 Sherco 300i that would be a good bike @ a great price !

This bike would suit your needs well and it's a terrific price. These are an easy bike to ride,are light,have excellent handling and are plenty fast enough.

Definately worth considering.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 9:04 AM, HairyTrails said:

I wouldn’t say im a full beginner now but I deffiently need a new bike my Crf250r is Beating me up something silly every ride on the trails and I’m starting to hate riding because of it. Close ratio/bad top speed/hard suspension/bad lugging etc

I’ve always loved 4 strokes but came across a 2011 ktm 250 exc with 700kms on it for $5,500 which I think is reasonable. Are these good bikes? I want something’s I can easily ride all day without it bashing me up

Hey bro. 

Stear clear of the te but definitely jump on the 250. You will learn heaps and they are a heap of fun to ride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Sink long  time. Thought you had moved off the grid living in a caravan in someones backyard with no net.:sudore-01:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 2:13 PM, Gypsy501 said:

+1 for the 250 2t , makes you a better rider and definitely more fun to ride emoji106.png

Soooo much fun to ride!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice is get a ride on one before you buy if you can. They're very different to your Honda. Plenty of dirtriderz on KTM that may let you have a ride on their's. If you haven't ridden KTM before, try one even if it's not the same model or a 2T. Also will cost more in maintenance and running cost but will likely depreciate less over time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, BearMX said:

My advice is get a ride on one before you buy if you can. They're very different to your Honda. Plenty of dirtriderz on KTM that may let you have a ride on their's. If you haven't ridden KTM before, try one even if it's not the same model or a 2T. Also will cost more in maintenance and running cost but will likely depreciate less over time.

Well I rode my mates brand new 450 sxf factory edition and didn’t really like it, felt pretty rough but that could have been the akrapovic exhaust and it was scary quick way to much power. The erconomics felt weird but could have been just becuase I’m not used to a different bike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 4:32 PM, cluffie said:
On 1/21/2019 at 1:51 PM, Scottland said:
Soooo much fun to ride!!

Except on firetrails.

Why is that? I want a bike that can put along fire trails and dirt roads with ease 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HairyTrails said:

Why is that? I want a bike that can put along fire trails and dirt roads with ease 

well theres your answer in a nutshell, get a 4 stroke , for the aprox. $5000 budget you have , maybe try one of these, has rec reg and is pretty clean , just an example, i think a japanese 250 enduro will get you the most bang for your buck , although having said that the sherco that some other members have mentioned sounds like a pretty awesome bike for the money , maybe at least arrange to have a look  or have a look at the example below, looks great in the photos , but you would want to check on whether the valves were replaced as these were an issue on these bikes

 

 https://www.bikesales.com.au/mvcajax/Gallery/?id=SSE-AD-5839417&currentSearchUrl=%2Fbikes%2F%3Fq%3D%28And.Service.Bikesales._.%28C.Make.Honda._.Model.CRF250%20X.%29_.State.VIC.%29%26sort%3DPremium&index=0   2004 Honda CRF 250X, water cooled, high performance dirt bike. Absolutely immaculate condition, plastics unmarked, never dropped, only ridden on fire trails. 1 owner since new (66 years old) only done 105 hours (3595 kms). Have supporting dealer service receipts for kms. Bike is currrently set up for off road use and was derestricted by dealer when first purchased. Bike comes with Owners Manual, Ego barkbusters, alloy sump guard, radiator guards, frame guards, heavy duty tubes and original Honda spares kit which includes second headlight and shroud, tail light assembly, blinkers, mirrors, muffler restrictor, spare brake master cylinder and original rear sprocket which will allow the bike to be road registered if desired. Also comes with 2 spare air filters. It has a trickle charger lead fitted to the bike and trickle charger is also included. The bike has been serviced every 300kms since new and the motor has been ultra reliable without any problems at all. This is a sensational bike to ride and has huge power for a 250. Would suit beginner or experienced riders. You will be amazed at the condition of this bike and is a viable alternative to spending more than twice as much on a new bike. Serious buyers only.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well I rode my mates brand new 450 sxf factory edition and didn’t really like it, felt pretty rough but that could have been the akrapovic exhaust and it was scary quick way to much power. The erconomics felt weird but could have been just becuase I’m not used to a different bike 
This is completly the wrong type of bike,don't go there.
Only suited for mx tracks and for very experienced riders.
Your riding will go backwards,far to much power,flame outs galore,overheating in tougher terrain or when your stuck on a hill or in a bog,harsh on the body,dangerous deflection off trail trash, rocks and tree roots unless a fair bit of suspension tuning is done .
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...