MrNoodle

Dakar 2019

No one else has kicked off a Dakar thread yet so I thought I'd better.

I've been watching the timing sheets and following all the happenings of Dakar 2019. This years Dakar is going to be held in Peru only so probably not as many km's travelled in liason stages but the conditions should still prove ultra challenging. The big fella Toby Price has lost a little a bit of time on Stage 3 but Dakar is a long and cruel race and can anything can change in an instant. Joan Berada Bort on his Honda went from winning stage one to dropping out in stage 3.  Xavier De Soultrait has proven to be fast on his Yammy and Pablo Quintanillaa is always quick on his Husky. Walkner dropped some time but is always thereabouts. So far Ricky Brabec has a 3rd and a 2nd in the first 2 stages and is smashing it on stage 4 after a bad stage 3, can a Honda break the KTM domination? Lets hope not with the main man Toby Price, even though he is carrying an injury, will still be putting it all on the line

Live timing at individual checkpoints can be found here
https://gaps.dakar.com/2019/dakar/aso/ukie

• Like 7

A great stage for Toby in the overall category. He finished 3rd for the day and now sits 3rd overall. Still lost a lot of time to Brabec on the day but made up a heap of time in the overall. Screenshot_20190111-070117.jpegScreenshot_20190111-070136.jpeg

• Like 2

Watched a bit of the high lights last night. Looks to be a couple of the top performers have come to some degree of grief. Just goes to show how little thing like lack of navigation can send you off the trail enough to put you out of the race.

Some interesting Stats on costs associated with doing a Dakar race. Really blows my mind how anyone other than sponsored riders/drivers can compete.

With a built bike worth between $25000 upwards of $50000 just so you can compete

Entry fee and so on getting there and having all the necessary equipment to compete we are talking upwards of $100000.

To actually get to the finish on a bike, you'll need between 70,000 and 250,000 USD. To do the same in a car the minimum starts at 200,000 USD and you could probably bankrupt a small town with what the top boys spend. Mind you, the minimum is the absolute, beans-in-a-can, regret-the-day-you-were-born, level. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the updates Noods, way to much crap to sift through on social media. Seems like they're purposely ignoring Price and he's the only rider I really want to follow. Have you ever thought of changing careers to sports writer?

• Like 4

Shame Barreda went out like he did due to thick 2m vision fog. Walkner and Brabec apparently also followed him down but were lucky they could turn around as they didn't go down as far. Brabec is a fast rider and in an interview he said that he was going to get right on it and it's working for him atm. Toby is a bit more conservative but his wrist injury worries me a bit. Hopefully he is a position to pounce at the end with still a long way to go.Did anybody hear an update on what actually happened to rod faggoters yamaha? I heard technical failure,clutch maybe but i doubt that would be terminal. Frustrating for Rod.

• Like 1

Looking good for Price early on at least for a podium.

Looking at his posts on Facebook he seemed like the wrist was giving him some dramas early on but hasn't mentioned it the last couple of days, Docs might have given him the good stuff.

Shame about Rod, Apparently the last time he DNF'ed Dakar with technical failure it was a broken crank so who knows, reading some other sites though it seems one of the lead yammies Van Beveran did struggle with clutch issues as well. 

2 other Aussies still in the hunt. Tough day for James Ferguson who broke his road-book switch after 20k and had to ride the rest of the day scrolling manually, If he cant get it fixed he will have to ride 3 days like this as the marathon stage is coming up. In 20th in Malle Moto and 101st overall.

The other Ben Young I haven't heard much news but is in 78th.

There is another 2 crazy blokes doing the race in a Commodore Ute! Look out for number 409 the last i saw they were in 57th.

• Like 4

The green ute is Riles's brother Steven Riley 409 and they are going well. Their ute sounds mint with the foot planted. Toby Price is wearing a cti wrist protector which would be a bit of a hinderance but we all know how tough mentally and psyhically TP is. A podium finish would be an outstanding performance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The green ute is Riles's brother Steven Riley 409 and they are going well. Their ute sounds mint with the foot planted. Toby Price is wearing a cti wrist protector which would be a bit of a hinderance but we all know how tough mentally and psyhically TP is. A podium finish would be an outstanding performance.
And being how tough he is he won't be letting us know how bad it actually is until after the race. I've listened to a couple of podcasts of Toby ran by his mates that go for a couple of hours. He goes into depth about how under prepared injury-wise he has been in the lead up to big rides.

And being how tough he is he won't be letting us know how bad it actually is until after the race. I've listened to a couple of podcasts of Toby ran by his mates that go for a couple of hours. He goes into depth about how under prepared injury-wise he has been in the lead up to big rides.
Most riders at this level live on the edge and are usually carrying injuries of some sort.
Always remember motorbikes bight hard and it's usually not if but when if your pushing yourself up your pace.
  • Like 1

How's the fesh fesh? wow, absolute crap that stuff,the pits.
A few engine repairs/rebuilds on the rest day i'm tipping.
Don't know exactly what happened but i seen steven riley's window smash and they were all covered in dust.
Any updates on this riles or anybody?

1 hour ago, cluffie said:

How's the fesh fesh?
Any updates on this riles or anybody?

Lots of tough sand, It’s good to watch on TV!  Cluffie, brother Stephen  smashed a diff half way through day 3, limped home and fixed it but I heard on day 4 (yesterday) at 80km the clutch went. Got towed in and I think if they can fix it organisers will let him continue but at the back of the field. He said they are confident to rejoin and try and do some more of the event. Here are some snaps from  their work area, day 3, evening (2am). 

1AB30941-F84B-416B-9D74-887C64476156.jpeg

FADBCE87-118C-4F1D-9D01-5E6B6E2C99AC.jpeg

06A46AFA-BD00-4A8C-823D-0D4F5A6EE3F1.jpeg

B47ACA1B-AD05-4C68-B1D5-EFF2A4BA8DBF.jpeg

572D7682-A244-48E1-9F9D-61509496CB8A.jpeg

9EF50C69-FBCF-4916-A7B6-3D35DEC925CB.jpeg

• Like 12

Thanks riles. I found out that a tow strap/snatch/tow hook or shackle broke and went through their windscreen while performing a recovery.
Good they can keep going after the well earned rest day.

• Like 2

Thanks riles. I found out that a tow strap/snatch/tow hook or shackle broke and went through their windscreen while performing a recovery.
Good they can keep going after the well earned rest day.
I don't know if it will work but here is a link via facey of that recovery

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2163474690378493&id=104027932989856
  • Like 2

Thanks Noodles,   It was also on SBS last night, snatch strap it was. Here are some pics from today’s rest day. 

6FDB01EC-8F9D-4BC1-8082-FAB0EF6282C8.jpeg

F4AEA317-9EBA-4FF4-AA99-A950B53966BC.jpeg

0EFB2FE0-5BCB-4231-B7E3-FF6FB9211ED3.jpeg

0752EFD0-6F7F-4A29-92E6-6FF6CC0416F0.jpeg

0EBA0171-99C7-44EC-A5F5-1F97E5DA2626.jpeg

C1F5C7AE-8127-4B07-B025-CA1191EFCDEF.jpeg

8475499B-EF3B-4F00-8F5F-33CE1C4F441C.jpeg

A12935D8-DD18-452E-8B47-22411D87FD5C.jpeg

• Like 10

Steve looked like he coped the full force of that landing. He was saying he wasn't feeling too good afterwards. Any updates on that situation?

Steve looked like he coped the full force of that landing. He was saying he wasn't feeling too good afterwards. Any updates on that situation?
They hit a sand wash very hard and unfortunately they are out. Steve was apparently airlifted with severe back pain. Hope his ok. Not exactly sure on the co pilot but i think his ok, just sore.
Great effort guys,it's a super tough gig.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Holy heck, the Honda of Brabec, current overall leader has blown its engine 54 kms into todays stage! Toby was already pushing and was leading at CP1 before this happened and is now up by 2 odd mins over the next competitor. Better news, on adjusted time at CP2 Toby is leading the Dakar overall by 2.30! Can't wait to see how the big fella is going in the morning.

Screenshot_20190116-005626.thumb.jpeg.3442cee04db802ddc598690d3de2c5fb.jpegScreenshot_20190116-005705.thumb.jpeg.c680d3c82c5855cbc2e12d2ccac46142.jpegScreenshot_20190116-005712.thumb.jpeg.7f0d43c8b13bbee37d11658b52dc21fd.jpeg

• Like 5

Walkner wins the stage and Quintanilla makes up some timeback with Toby finishing about a minute behind. Van Beveren dropped a lot of time and Tobys consistant riding has bright him to the top of the overall!

Go PriceyScreenshot_20190116-064353.jpegScreenshot_20190116-064418.jpeg

• Like 3

TP is a machine. I can’t fathom riding one day with a broken bone in my wrist let alone race for 2 weeks straight. Just imagine how he would go if he was 100% fit!!
Bad luck for Brabec but as the old saying goes, to finish first, first you have to finish.
Fingers crossed for a trouble free finish for TP

• Like 3

Stage 9 is set for more dunes and a start consisting of groups of 10 leaving at a time. With all the main contenders in the top 10 it appears they were sandbagging at first and waiting for someone to make a break. This allowed the second group of 10 riders to set the fastest time through the first couple of CP's but the big guns are now firing and all within 30 seconds of each other at CP 4. Sunderland and Benavides copped 1 and 3 hour respectively overnight for the previous day effectively ruling them out of contention.

• Like 3