Husky310

Hoffs Dissapointment.

6 hours ago, hoff300 said:

Yeah Cruiser my bike was silent in the end but my mouth wasn't!! I would have ran the piston a little longer but have the top end stripped down with the new piston ready to go "when I get off my arse".

Got off my arse today. Stripped the bike down. Just waiting for the shops to open.

P1040818.thumb.JPG.8ee9cb342171ea1a26ec23b4978094cc.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

ok so no one flagged my vid or pressed the dislike button. 

I will assume it is safe to try again. Once again no sound and probably was set on wrong resolution and fps so will iron this out for future vids and see if we can make it a more enjoyable experience.

Seems we spent a fair bit of time in the valleys. 

• Like 12

I always enjoy sitting back on a Sunday night and having a read of the ride reports, and this one didn't disappoint !

Looks like some nice trails were enjoyed by all.

I appreciate the effort Cruiser went to on his videos, but think he needs to sack his sound technician. 

Also glad that Hoff's bike was only a minor freak loose bolt problem.

Great stuff

• Like 6

I put the piston in yesterday bike is running so all good. I still have to contact my dealer and talk about the bolt coming loose, it's been flopping around in there chewing up the thread in the cases. The 45 mm bolt that came out of the hole was to short to use, so I cut a longer bolt down so I had a 5 mm longer bolt. It does up to 10 nm but I don't trust it!!

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 6:01 PM, cruiser said:

bit of Loctite 243 might give you peace of mind hoff

Yeah I've used some Loctite thread retainer so I think it will be right. I think it is holding in there by about 4 to 5 mm, and holding 10 NM of torque" BUT".   I've spoken to the dealer and the workshop manager, he told me to email the photos I have of the bent bolt and the wear marks on head of it , and one of the hour meter. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, hoff300 said:

I've spoken to the dealer and the workshop manager, he told me to email the photos I have of the bent bolt and the wear marks on head of it , and one of the hour meter. This is where I'm not confident! Statements like , It's done a few hours! That's about 3 years of riding for most! Didn't you hear the bolt rattling! When and where was the bike service last! The bike is over 6 month old it's done a bit of work! It goes on. The bike is around 7 months old. In my view a crankcase bolt shouldn't come out, it wasn't torqued enough while being manufactured in the factory. I am not holding my breath with the dealer, but you never know!!! End rant!

Soooo frustrating for you! Why do they do it? If they don't want to back their products they should either build em right or do something else preferably something that has nothing to do with motorcycles. Hopefully they'll surprise with a higher level of enthusiasm once they've had a look and a chance to mull it over. I've had bikes last decades of racing and riding on them without any problems of loose crankcase bolts.

If it's not common problem your fix sounds like it'll do. If it's a 6mm thread you've got a 1mm pitch so your getting 4 to 5 threads of depth for the hold (I generally consider 4 threads is the minimum for load strength) and the loctite will stop it loosening. If the loosening is a common problem (if it is it sounds like they're not going to tell you) I'd consider wiring it as well if it's not to hard to get to.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 9:33 PM, hoff300 said:

Yeah I've used some Loctite thread retainer so I think it will be right. I think it is holding in there by about 4 to 5 mm, and holding 10 NM of torque" BUT".   I've spoken to the dealer and the workshop manager, he told me to email the photos I have of the bent bolt and the wear marks on head of it , and one of the hour meter. This is where I'm not confident! Statements like , It's done a few hours! That's about 3 years of riding for most! Didn't you hear the bolt rattling! When and where was the bike service last! The bike is over 6 month old it's done a bit of work! It goes on. The bike is around 7 months old. In my view a crankcase bolt shouldn't come out, it wasn't torqued enough while being manufactured in the factory. I am not holding my breath with the dealer, but you never know!!! End rant!

Yeah totally agree with you about the bolt hoff. If that's their opinion then for one they're admitting that their product is sub par and secondly where does it say in the workshop manual that the motor requires a full dismantle/reassemble after the warranty period is over?

• Like 2

Okay all I have been contacted by my Husky dealer today!!! Good news mostly they said they would see what they could do for me, and Husqvarna / KTM have said they will supply part's which is good in my view. The bolt is holding up okay but how long for? Then I've noticed that there is a big vibration through the engine now, not rideable!! Maybe the tiny keyway on the counter balancer has stripped from the bolt locking up the counter balancer. Anyway I now have the motor out for the dealer to strip it down to see what's going on, this is a good will repair so I will pay the labour costs which I've cut by taking the engine out, then I will reinstall it!!!

So great brand to deal with and the dealer, has been very helpful Firstclass in Lilydale, I hope all goes to plan!!!:unsure:

• Like 13

Job done Husqvarna / KTM has warrantied my bike!!! I have new cases and the stripped key on the counter balancer shaft has been replaced. They also checked the crank for balance. I'm very happy that Husqvarna backed their product, and Firstclass made it happen!:D

• Like 19

24 minutes ago, hoff300 said:

Job done Husqvarna / KTM has warrantied my bike!!! I have new cases and the stripped key on the counter balancer shaft has been replaced. They also checked the crank for balance. I'm very happy that Husqvarna backed their product, and Firstclass made it happen!:D

That's awesome!.  Great to hear a good news outcome and a bike company and dealer doing the right thing (dare I say for a change?). All kudos to them. I'm glad there action will have you feeling pretty good as well.

• Like 1

That's great news Hoff good to see them backing up there product hopefully we can get out soon for a blast

• Like 3

Job done Husqvarna / KTM has warrantied my bike!!! I have new cases and the stripped key on the counter balancer shaft has been replaced. They also checked the crank for balance. I'm very happy that Husqvarna backed their product, and Firstclass made it happen!
Awesome stuff hoff. First class are a good mob.
Now for a test ride tomorrow.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, hoff300 said:

That’s great mate! Firstclass is one of the best bike shops around. They have always gone over and above with service for me. :adulazione-01:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hoff300 said:

Firstclass also turn it around pretty quick!!! I'm stoked!!!:D

They couldn't refuse a Zebra now could they.

H.T.

• Haha 1

Yeah out on it for a little play around tomorrow, a little check over then wait for the next cooler day then let's go!! I will even put the Zebra gear on.:happy-05: Oh and I still owe Nathan a tow rope!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last post from me about this! Bike is rebuilt perfectly thank's to Don the service manager at Firstclass!! I totally miss read him at the start, great guy who gathered the information he needed and did his job perfectly. Bike is great but my riding wasn't the best yesterday, need a little fitness.

• Like 10

I don’t think your fitness is the issue.
That Pudmud bloke is dragging you down to his skill level

• Like 1
  • Haha 1