1 1
HairyTrails

Ktm 300 exc or ktm 250 exc-f?

I’m looking at buying a proper trail bike after coming from a Crf250r which is painful in the bush. Would I be better off with the 300 2 stroke or the 250 4 stroke? Always like 4 strokes and not sure if the 300 is to much.

what do you think? Any particular model I should look at

Well it depends, if you’re a MAN with huge nuts go the 300 2 banger...

If you like leather underwear and frequent male toilet blocks go the 4 stroke.

:figo-01:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

If you do bit of everything I said 250 f or if your interest in st only go 300 as I'm running the 250 2t and love it but when it come to big hill and high country I hate it and feel to 4t are better over all but it hard st your thing go 300 

• Like 2

from the posts you have put up it sounds like your feeling your way in the sport of offroad trailriding , if that is the case then go the 250 4stroke it will allow you to gain experience riding all types of terrain, especially if you are a lighter guy if you weigh 120kgs then maybe not . after you have hit the trails  for a while on your new 250 4stroke and decide  that extreme enduro is your thing then update to a 250/300 2 stroke later. 250 4 strokes are confidence inspiring and are easy to ride fast and don't tire you out as much as the bigger bikes can do

ktm,  husky, yamaha all make excellent 250 enduro bikes as do sherco with their 300 4 stroke which could also be an option for you, i am not familiar with beta 4 strokes so not sure there. cheers hope that info helps

• Like 9

I agree with orangeboy, pending on the riding your doing depends on the bike you should get. I sold my CRF450R this year as it was just way to much bike in the bush for me. I have brought a FE350 and I love it, it has all the right power when needed it and I have now started to build a lot  more confidence in the bush. I'm a level 2-3 rider so I like the tight stuff but also enjoy some of the faster open stuff, so I find the 4 banger suits all the terrain. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 2:13 PM, HairyTrails said:

I’m looking at buying a proper trail bike after coming from a Crf250r which is painful in the bush. Would I be better off with the 300 2 stroke or the 250 4 stroke? Always like 4 strokes and not sure if the 300 is to much.

what do you think? Any particular model I should look at

Mate i went from a yz450f riding maybe 10 times a year. Brought sabos old 300exc thing was a monster the down low power you cannot compare and being 110kgs it felt like the bike for me, went and done some proper riding and a big crash broken nose fractured eye socket, figured that it was to much bike for me alot of people told me go a 300 due to being able to have no power and all of it at the flick of the wrist my ego came into the picture so i kept with it but finally bit the bullet pissed it off went a 16 350excf and i love it im a better rider faster rider on the 350 dont rush come for a ride and jump on my 350 you will be quite surprised, i will go back to a 300 just want another 100 hours under my belt before i make the swap good luck

• Like 1

YZ250FX is a seriously capable bike. Not suggesting you should get that, but modern 250cc 4 stroke bikes are seriously capable bikes, more than they get credit for.

I would have absolutely no regrets buying a 2019 KTM 250 EXC-F.

I would add the Beta RR 200 2T to your list too.

Go organise a test ride.

YZ250FX is a seriously capable bike. Not suggesting you should get that, but modern 250cc 4 stroke bikes are seriously capable bikes, more than they get credit for.
I would have absolutely no regrets buying a 2019 KTM 250 EXC-F.
I would add the Beta RR 200 2T to your list too.
Go organise a test ride.

100% 2019 ktm 250 EXC F is a great bike in the bush just got myself one and absolutely loving it
  • Like 4

100% 2019 ktm 250 EXC F is a great bike in the bush just got myself one and absolutely loving it

Sabo & Marko have the new generation 250excf and are really happy with them aswell, but I think the 250 2t is were it’s at , imo .

• Like 5

Probably should have added, I have ridden both a CRF250R and a Husqvarna TE300.

I found the CRF250R easier to ride than the TE300.  So if you struggle with throttle response on the 250R, the 300 2T is certainly more aggressive.

You can lug the 300 though due to massive amounts of torque right off the bottom so I guess it depends what it was that you didn’t like about the 250R.

At the time they were both brand new models back in 2015 so non-tpi on the 2 stroke. Not sure how different the tpi 2 strokes are.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses guys, pretty sure I’m going to get a wr250f the new model. Was even concidering getting new, the bikes used are only a couple grand less than a new one. I looked at a Husqvarna fe250 but they were to expensive around $12,500

On 12/30/2018 at 5:15 PM, GRANT_KTM_250_EXC-F said:

How much did you pay for it ?

Probably should have added, I have ridden both a CRF250R and a Husqvarna TE300.
I found the CRF250R easier to ride than the TE300.  So if you struggle with throttle response on the 250R, the 300 2T is certainly more aggressive.
You can lug the 300 though due to massive amounts of torque right off the bottom so I guess it depends what it was that you didn’t like about the 250R.
At the time they were both brand new models back in 2015 so non-tpi on the 2 stroke. Not sure how different the tpi 2 strokes are.

A 2018 TE TPI is a hole complete different bike then a 2015 TE
  • Like 1

If you are only after rec reg i would go a Yamaha 250 grey import, a mates got 1 & i'm pretty sure it was under $10k with rec rego & he hasn't touched a thing & he loves it !

• Like 1

HairyTrails have a look at Sabo’s 2018 350excf it’s in great condition and at a bargain price, a better all round bike then a WR250, you can put around on it or you can ride it hard , better on fuel and weighs less aswell then a WR ,and most of all it’s a KTM.

• Like 1

If it's a KTM it must be good!!

It’s taking awhile Browny but your slowly learning
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 8:46 AM, eagle said:

If you are only after rec reg i would go a Yamaha 250 grey import, a mates got 1 & i'm pretty sure it was under $10k with rec rego & he hasn't touched a thing & he loves it !

Where can I buy one from?

1 hour ago, HairyTrails said:

there used to be a mob called Sumoto in North Melbourne that appears to have morphed into Motoink?

looking at their site they dont list any WR250's but do list the 450 - theres no info though to confirm if they are the same mob but against WR450 it lists "rec reg available" with no mention of full reg so id say the bikes are grey? might be worth a call to find out if they do the 250?

http://motoink.com.au/motorcycles/

scratch that - if a WR250F is what your after then I reckon you'd be hard pressed to beat this bargain - plenty of extras and only 255k's (allegedly*)

https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/details/2018-yamaha-wr250f/SSE-AD-5753987/?cr=2&psq=(And.Service.Bikesales._.(C.Make.Yamaha._.Model.WR250F.))&pso=0&pss=Premium

1 hour ago, HairyTrails said:

Motoink in Coburg is where the mate got his, i think he talked them down abit so don't say yes to there first offer !

4 minutes ago, 2t4me said:

scratch that - if a WR250F is what your after then I reckon you'd be hard pressed to beat this bargain - plenty of extras and only 255k's (allegedly*)

https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/details/2018-yamaha-wr250f/SSE-AD-5753987/?cr=2&psq=(And.Service.Bikesales._.(C.Make.Yamaha._.Model.WR250F.))&pso=0&pss=Premium

Gee that does look like a bargain !

That’s Belly’s old bike off MXtv isn’t it? He has the number 300 on his bikes and it’s got the mxtv sticker kit.
It’s definitely got all the bling on it but I doubt the mileage would be legit.
  • Like 1

I'm assuming its him/them (Belly/MXTV) that are selling it??