2 2
Pepperjack

EPIRB..PLB..why haven't you got one.?

Just picked this up from Johnny Appleseed in St Kilda..$286.50

It's tiny.

They used to be expensive..now, a VERY cheap, ultimate lifeline.

Stop admiring my surgeons hands(ok, IT geeks hands) .. added for scale3f8d448879999c51069e3916e7c4c4e9.jpg

• Like 2

Being cheap and ignorant I rely on riding with people who know what they're doing and have all the gear GPS/epirb etc and hopefully spare tubes/levers/plugs etc. But I also ride alone.....will have to look into one of these. Can you post model details?

• Like 2

I always ride in a group . 000 works - Would an epirb get an emergency service (Ambulance) to the site faster? And how much faster I'm uncertain of as isnt the service required normally need be discussed before a service is dispatched?

Its not an EPIRB you are looking for just a PLB (personal locator beacon)/

Get an EPIRB for your boat Maratime. Get the PLB for land. 

Little quote

"Satellites cannot detect beacons through mountains, trees or buildings. If your beacon has not been deployed correctly with the aerial vertical in a clear open area or you are located in a valley, geostationary (GEO) satellites are unlikely to see you. In these cases, you must wait for polar-orbiting (LEO) satellites to pass overhead, which may take several hours."

PLB  notifies the police (eventually) who then respond by making enquiries. starting with trying to ring emergencey ph numbers.

You would only ever use one if you had no other form of communication on hand for a 2 way conversation.

A PLB will send out a location alert of imminent danger. But will give no specifics. Therefore activating a beacon will not automatically see an ambulance heading to that location. Be prepared to wait a long time for help to turn up if you are really remote.

• Like 5

Its not an EPIRB you are looking for just a PLB (personal locator beacon)/

Get an EPIRB for your boat Maratime. Get the PLB for land. 

Little quote

"Satellites cannot detect beacons through mountains, trees or buildings. If your beacon has not been deployed correctly with the aerial vertical in a clear open area or you are located in a valley, geostationary (GEO) satellites are unlikely to see you. In these cases, you must wait for polar-orbiting (LEO) satellites to pass overhead, which may take several hours."

PLB  notifies the police (eventually) who then respond by making enquiries. starting with trying to ring emergencey ph numbers.

You would only ever use one if you had no other form of communication on hand for a 2 way conversation.

A PLB will send out a location alert of imminent danger. But will give no specifics. Therefore activating a beacon will not automatically see an ambulance heading to that location. Be prepared to wait a long time for help to turn up if you are really remote.

So the best solution is to to get to a spot with service and then dial 000 and discuss your requirements.. With all newer ( less then 5 yrs old ) phones they will roam all available networks not just your service provider when using 000. In the past you had to dial 112 for this to work. 112 still works to maintain the international emergency support number. When dialing 112 it will do exactly the same as dialing 000.

• Like 1

I had an early model spot for years with a tracking subscription, worked very well tracking every 15 mins but missed some gps pings because of the terrain. It still gave a great reading of where you have been, and it had many options on it. Lost but okay message or broken down need assistants that goes to a friend or family, or SOS for a rescue, which I think would be like ambulance and police maybe??? But I would think that when you make a phone call for an ambulance the police come too, so I would say it should be the same for the SPOT. The new models can be programmed better, but yes you are relying on satellites!!! My model packed it in and I haven't replaced it, so my advice is see what the latest and greatest PLB can do and maybe ask someone like the emergency services if they really work! I'm not sure how good they really work, but my wife could track me pretty good, and I wouldn't rely on Optus out there! Now my wife tracking me maybe not sure if that's good!!!! Also GPS's rely on satellites and work well, SO DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH ON WHAT WORKS THE BEST FOR YOU!!! Telstra I think may have the best bush coverage. Now do what you all want and stay safe over Xmas, ENJOY!!!:D

• Like 2

Hmm, this topic can be both simple or it can be hard - I think in all honesty, the people that would take the most from this thread care the least for details of this, that, the other etc.  So I'll just say a few things and be a little vague on the detail. I'm going to suggest also, that when it comes to this stuff - I do know what I'm talking about. Not many people understand exactly how they work at a technical level but have also actually spoken to the IERCC in Houston or RCC Canberra or chopper pilots who attend these jobs. Its one thing to watch YT vids and do some googling versus having an in depth understanding with real world experience - you can be the judge :-)

For the conversation - ELT/EPIRB/PLB are all essentially the same, just different form factors and specs - they connect to and send their signal via a non commercial government military grade system of satellites and ground stations called COSPAS/SARSAT. This system IS 'the shiit'.

ELT - goes into AirCraft
EPIRB - For Boats/Ships
PLB - for bushwalkers, dirtbikers etc. 

Pepp's simple rules..

If you ride solo - you are nuts if you're not carrying a PLB. 
- Carry a PLB - I got my PLB1 for $286.50 from Johnny appleseed - they price matched ebay.
- Have a Telstra Phone Service. If you are Voda or Optus etc HAVE a telstra pre-paid SIM as backup and stick in your phone if needed. 

If you have a loved one at home who is keeping an eye on you and cares etc..   AND you are riding in a group
- have a Spot OR InReach tracker
- Have a Telstra SIM or Service.

If unsure - carry a PLB..!!!!!!  $286 .. why are we even having this discussion :-)  

Having owned 2 Spot's and 2 Inreach's I can say InReach is now the better choice - IMHO it never use to be. 
- InReach is two way - that's cool.
- InReach Mini is very cool - new device. 

Those Cable guys, in Warrnambool.. they would have pressed the button on the PLB (if they had one) and I would say in about 25-60 mins they would have had HEMS4 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambulance_Victoria ) overhead with a guy coming down on a winch cable with a stokes litter. if HEMS4 wasn't available they'd like use a Police 4wd coming to them or failing that SES would come out. 

Moral of the story.. get a PLB. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1