1 1
ktm3002t

Ktm xc 300 2stroke

Hi there anyone's suggestions I want to put a 5oz flywheel weight on it to take the snappy power out of it a little 8as I cant with the yellow spring

Hi there anyone's suggestions I want to put a 5oz flywheel weight on it to take the snappy power out of it a little 8as I cant with the yellow spring

A Green spring will make it less aggressive .
I've never ridden with anyone that has put a flywheel weight on an Exc and I've ridden with lots of different ability riders .

Green tame

Yellow mild

Red wild

Where is the power delivery giving you trouble ? Tight sections ? Logs? Up hills ?

I ride mostly very slow and technical stuff with lots of big logs and plenty of hills . I use the green spring . I could prob use the yellow just as easily but that would involve changing the spring. I don't race and so if I get home in one piece and uninjured I'm happy .

Up hills second gear is much better for momentum and burn crap out of that clutch . First will alway lift the front as you twist in the steeper bits without superb clutch control.

Just like the four strokes your much better to keep the revs up around 2000 -3000 rpm and fan the clutch to slow down rather than dropping revs . If your clutch is out and you back off then twist it will want to flip in most circumstances on a hill . They have tons of bottom end torque and they will dish you rather than stall almost every time! Clutch it!

I put the green spring in when I bought the bike as in my last bike thats what I was using and was comfortable with and I wanted the change to be as seemless as possible. I have been thinking about changing the spring but I'm having such a great time the way it is I can't really see the point apart from maybe checking out the sump plug on my bike while laying down on the ground beside a log .

• Like 2

Another tip. If you can’t use 2nd and third gear on singles and hills you may need to look at jetting. I also run green spring and use the clutch heaps. You could also drop a tooth on the rear. Another idea is to add a map switch, this will help second gear singles, it takes out the punch, it’s no good for hills though.
I haven’t tried a flywheel weight yet. It could be a good thing.

Another tip. If you can’t use 2nd and third gear on singles and hills you may need to look at jetting. I also run green spring and use the clutch heaps. You could also drop a tooth on the rear. Another idea is to add a map switch, this will help second gear singles, it takes out the punch, it’s no good for hills though.
I haven’t tried a flywheel weight yet. It could be a good thing.
Do u know what jetting set up u have

Extra flyweel weight should help any 2 stroke for slow trail riding (even good for fast MX riding when it's slick).

If you get a weight I'd go with the heaviest weight you can get. If it's too much (unlikely) you can always get a bit taken off on a lathe whereas you can't add weight to one that's too light.

• Like 1

165 - 168 main.
38 pilot
Suzuki necj needle
is what you after I think.
Other will confirm.

2 hours ago, PeteV said:

165 - 168 main.
38 pilot
Suzuki necj needle
is what you after I think.
Other will confirm.

That needle is too lean on the 14's but will works well on anything 13' or under year bikes
Those jets will be perfect but run the NECW clip 3 due to the changed shape of the head design on the 14 & later models up to the carby 17's if you change to the 36mm Kehlin 

That needle is too lean on the 14's but will works well on anything 13' or under year bikes
Those jets will be perfect but run the NECW clip 3 due to the changed shape of the head design on the 14 & later models up to the carby 17's if you change to the 36mm Kehlin 

Thanks Jess . I knew it worked well on the 12/13 that's what I had , I knew the 14 was very simular but I wasn't certain it was identical .

Hey mate, I tried a 12.5oz weight and it works very well. I highly recommend them.
  • Like 2

I remember when i put a fywheel weight on my RM 125, it was holeshot City in 2nd gear, a couple of times i started in 3rd ended up 2nd into corner against 250's & this was in the sand @ Rosebud ;)

• Like 1