1 1
deanp

Goughs Bay, The Pines - Camping/riding xmas

Hello all,

Has anyone ever camped (& ridden) at Goughs Bay between xmas & new years? I'm considering going there from the 27th of Dec to the 30th of Dec (won't be there for new years eve).

What's it like?

Does it get packed, is it hard to get a spot etc??

Should I look at somewhere else, what's people experiences like.

Thanks heaps.

Dean.

Extremely busy mate!!!

Heaps of campers with caravans, boats or  jet ski's and with the lake level relatively high, you might have to travel a fair bit in to get a decent spot if you want a bit a space between you and your group and other campers - majority will camp down close to the water so you might find the campsites closer to road less crowded.

We've camped out during the times you are planning on many occasions and we've always been prepared to travel further in and never been disappointed heading the the furtherest camp grounds called Maintongoon North and South (or the area we call the wastelands:) ) as there is less traffic meaning less dust.

Anyway, prepare for dust and super hot weather, wood is becoming hard to find unless you go up the 4wd tracks and find some dead trees and cut a few trailer loads for the time you are staying (if there isn't a TFB)...as for riding, get up earlier and ride out like 7am or 8am latest, if the forecast is for 30+...better off heading out at 6am to 11am then grab the camp chair, sunnies, sunscreen and ya esky and sit in the water!!!

• Like 3

Extremely busy mate!!!

Heaps of campers with caravans, boats or  jet ski's and with the lake level relatively high, you might have to travel a fair bit in to get a decent spot if you want a bit a space between you and your group and other campers - majority will camp down close to the water so you might find the campsites closer to road less crowded.

We've camped out during the times you are planning on many occasions and we've always been prepared to travel further in and never been disappointed heading the the furtherest camp grounds called Maintongoon North and South (or the area we call the wastelands:) ) as there is less traffic meaning less dust.

Anyway, prepare for dust and super hot weather, wood is becoming hard to find unless you go up the 4wd tracks and find some dead trees and cut a few trailer loads for the time you are staying (if there isn't a TFB)...as for riding, get up earlier and ride out like 7am or 8am latest, if the forecast is for 30+...better off heading out at 6am to 11am then grab the camp chair, sunnies, sunscreen and ya esky and sit in the water!!!

Cheers mate, I had feeling it might a bit nuts. If the weather forecast was going to be hot was going to give it a miss.

Maybe we’ll go elsewhere!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, deanp said:

Cheers mate, I had feeling it might a bit nuts. If the weather forecast was going to be hot was going to give it a miss.

Thanks again.

You’ll be right...if you riding with a group of no more than 4 and keep moving even in the technical stuff, you can ride in 30+ weather, bit of conditioning and it OK.

The place is huge and there are plenty of camp spots, majority of peopl will pack the front part but drive in 16-20kms and you’ll find great spots...check my post in this section and it explains it all.

PS. Great fireworks during that time:P

• Like 1

You’ll be right...if you riding with a group of no more than 4 and keep moving even in the technical stuff, you can ride in 30+ weather, bit of conditioning and it OK.
The place is huge and there are plenty of camp spots, majority of peopl will pack the front part but drive in 16-20kms and you’ll find great spots...check my post in this section and it explains it all.
PS. Great fireworks during that time

Ok thanks, probably only a couple of us riding. See how we go.
Thanks again your a legend.
  • Like 1

Thanks again.

There is nowhere else better then Goughs bay
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

There is nowhere else better then Goughs bay emoji3.pngemoji106.png

Apologies, I miss read your post mate, thought it said there is somewhere else better than goughs bay!! cheers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deanp said:

Apologies, I miss read your post mate, thought it said there is somewhere else better than goughs bay!! cheers.

Oh there is but to mix camping, 4wding, swimming and techincal, hilly riding...there is no better place than the The Pines!!!

• Like 3

Oh there is but to mix camping, 4wding, swimming and techincal, hilly riding...there is no better place than the The Pines!!!

Yeah I’ve never been there, but heard a lot of good things. Hopefully I’ll get there soon. Just getting over a hand injury