2 2
eagle

Dirtbike riders busted Herald/Sun

Just thought i'd open the HS web page, top of page, Victoria's dark secret, dirtbike riders caught on drones etc racing deep inside state forest ;)

What a load of junk...my Mum sent it to me also. Just BS and hype designed to scare people off. Keep doing what you love..stuff the authorities. We're moving head on into a world where no one can do anything accept become a debt slave and a drone in society. +1 red pill.

The fact that they took a photo and put it in the media..shows what the real intent was.

Can we delete this thread..if we give it airtime...we are giving them what they want..

• Like 2

No need to worry mate. 99.9% here are licensed registered and insured and we stay on main tracks. We should all consider that when posting rides and videos depicting our travels in the bush.

• Like 11

The article itself, for anyone who has read it (not just the headline) is focusing predominantly on some unofficial events that have been conducted, allegedly, in a national park...

There is a certain element/degree of sensationalism in the article, including 2 photo's pertaining to show riders on illegal tracks - that look very much like firetrail - but the gist of it is about illegal activity..

As already stated by Frank, this site is frequented by members whom all obey the law and participate in social trail rides with the correct registration and license requirements in legal riding areas - as such, whilst we can all be frustrated by the name calling (Dirtbag Birtbikers etc) and the stereo typing bought on be the actions of a few, we can keep doing what we are doing without fear...

We all know what is and isnt allowed under the current laws (whether we agree with them or not) so lets carry on.....

(this thread will be deleted if it goes down the wrong path - keep it sensible please)

• Like 11

As its a "subscribers only" article, I have pasted the contents below so that anyone commenting is doing so from an informed basis - rather than speculating from the headline and/or other comments

Victoria’s secret dirt bike underworld revealed

DRONES and spy cameras have busted open the ­secret world of ­illegal ­motorbike racing deep in the Victorian bush.

More than 200km of ­illegal tracks have been found in one park alone ­during a crackdown targeting motorcyclists who sneak in to protected areas to ride in clandestine competitions.

Dirtbag dirt bikers have also been sprung in the act by stealthy rangers who map the trails and monitor their event plans before surprising them in the bush.

Fines totalling more than $30,000 have recently been dished out to riders thumbing their noses at the law, during a blitz on the illicit racing ring.

Whisperings of the secret meet-ups spread through word-of-mouth and hidden social media pages, enticing riders from across Australia.

The resultant damage to national parks is expected to take a decade to fix.

Authorities are now ­kicking their operation into a higher gear to catch the bush hoons, mounting surveillance cameras on trees to spy on the rogue groups.

Motorcyclists who flee police and rangers are then tracked down by drones ­flying overhead, filming their every move.

The Great Otway National Park on the Great Ocean Road has become a key focus, amid the discovery that riders were competing in an illegal version of a world-class five-day endurance race in Romania, known as the “Romaniacs”.

Rangers found signs and hundreds of kilometres of ­illegal trails snaking through protected bushland and creek beds.

It has become clear to authorities they’re not dealing with people unwittingly riding in the wrong areas but well-organised groups deliberately flouting the law.

Law-breaking tactics ­include covering numberplates with duct tape to avoid identification.

Trail biking is allowed on thousands of kilometres of designated tracks across the Otways and other parks and forests, but it is illegal to ride off-road on public land.

Whether parks should be used for recreation or for ­rehabilitation — and how to strike the right balance — has long been a topic of ­debate.

Riders have raised concerns about the impact of closing sections of the ­Otways as well as the closure of motocross trails at Barabool and Breakwater in Geelong, fearing a lack of trails would entice people to sneak into protected areas instead.

“Force everyone into being ‘outlaw’ riders. On the bright side, I always ride ­better when being chased,” one motorcyclist wrote on a dirt bike forum.

Law-abiding dirt bikers fear the behaviour of rogue riders could encourage authorities to impose more bans.

Otway Trail Riders club president John O’Dowd said most riders respected the law and the bush but those ­sneaking into protected areas gave the sport a bad name.

“There are plenty of areas across the Otways to ride — designated tracks,” Mr O’Dowd said. “It (illegal riding) is jeopardising the sport.

“It’s a great sport and we’re lucky to have the park on our doorstep so we don’t want to see it locked up.”

Parks Victoria ranger team leader Scott Nicholson said intelligence gathered during the ­operation had helped authorities know where and when to target illegal activity.

“The further we get into the operation, we’re finding people are getting a little more evasive or going to greater lengths to obscure numberplates,” he said.

“Not everyone pulls over (at roadblocks). A lot of the time they ride off.

“Because we’ve been mapping all the illegal tracks, we can know where they go.”

Mr Nicholson said rangers were confident they knew who the ringleaders were.

About 60 people so far have been slapped with fines of up to $1773 for various ­offences relating to illegal ­bike and 4WD activity, ­concealing plates and setting illegal fires. Another 25 are expected to be interviewed.

• Like 1

Never good when you have underworld word associated with you.i was just listening to Neil Mitchell in the car and he had a quick segment on it.been listening to him for few years and it's obvious he has never liked bikes ,that doesn't help.then about 4 or5 guys rang in to talk about the article.they all ride bikes.the first couple didn't do a real good job on our behalf.but the last 49 year old guy from Otway's did a great job explaining things .have to say I live on the edge of ballarat and 10 minutes from me in the bush there are so many spots ,some hard to get to of those push bike spots were they dig up huge holes to get the dirt to build those 20foot high square edge jumps,a and makeshift lean twos were they drink and party.then evevtually abandon them and leave a mess.never hear about that.just saying.

• Like 1

Who's the writer and editor... would like to confirm where they got their facts from

• Like 1

It's just frustrating I guess.i spend a lot of time when not riding in the bush and the biggest things I see is rubbish(lots around my area) massive 4wd bog holes ,oh yeah and soany burnt out cars.you can't even notice were bikes have been.and we are the biggest problem,yeah right.i love the bush as we all do,wish they would realise that.

• Like 2

There must be an election looming lol
Labor party looking like they know what they're doing... NOT@!

• Like 2

It reads like a media release from DELWP. I believe it might be a justification for the use of a drone and the great expense that the program incurs.  My experience with drones is that this type of aerial work would be fairly useless. The tree canopy, flight time restrictions, onboard camera resolution are just a couple of small elements that add to cost. Department of Treasury says "What the F......" So the quick and easy way to justify the cost is an old dirty trick, Viral media. The writer of the article is just a lazy crime reporter who has a word count that must be completed each day.

• Like 7

In other news, 150 south Sudanese

“Australians” found fighting and rioting, 15 elderly citizens seriously assaulted, 2 million dollars of damage occurred 32 members of the police hospitalized.

No arrests have been made.

Great work Mr Daniel Andrews.

• Like 9

I'm pretty upset about this.

"Dirtbag" used to describe dirtbike riders in general is an absolute disgrace that the writer and all the associates should be ashamed of and they should have a good look at themselves.I think an official apology is well justified.

I for one, ride a dirtbike, have spent most my life enjoying the outdoors with the utmost respect and i can guarantee you that i have put more into this country then they will ever do.

Such a shame to stoop to these tactics and put all of us riders in the same basket.

• Like 13

Just like not all soccer fans are soccer hooligans, not all dirtbikers are dirtbags...but pretty sure all murdochs are lying arsew...s

• Like 10

On 10/28/2018 at 9:06 AM, ScOtTTy said:

In other news, 150 south Sudanese

“Australians” found fighting and rioting, 15 elderly citizens seriously assaulted, 2 million dollars of damage occurred 32 members of the police hospitalized.

No arrests have been made.

Great work Mr Daniel Andrews.

I reckon you'll find it is not just dirt bike articles that the media loves to blow out of proportion. Every bit of news is "sensationalised", beaten up and made up to try to sell some newspapers as they are dying at a great rate. That on top of the fact Murdoch owns just about every bit of major news media in Australia and they just make the news whatever they want it to be.

Being in a profession that has got on the bad end of the Murdoch beat up train on an often enough occasion has opened my eyes to just how much stuff is just blatantly made up with only the slightest skerrick of truth behind it (or many times no truth whatsoever) and rolled out as news.

• Like 5