1 1
Sheepy

Cheap as chips first enduro bike (pref smoker)

Hey guys,

Just got into riding recently and got myself a dual sport (DRZ) as didnt know what i wanted to do.

I am looking at getting a new bike to hit trails on and was after some advice? 

Ideally this is what I am after

Very Cheap - an old jap bike maybe? If it runs its probably fine it doesnt need to last me very long

2 stroke - probably least important but would like a 2 stroke as seems more responsive and nippy which sounds great fun on dirt. (also easier/cheaper to work on???)

150-300cc? (if anyone thinks otherwise as a beginner please let me know)

Enduro

Was looking at the yz250 however it seems its more suited to motorcross, is this true? Heard a few mods (like flywheel) are important.

I want something ill be able to improve on and test my skills - considering I have only been out on dirt a handfuls of times pretty much anything will do that xD

Opinions would be great thanks again guys

In short - cheap old jap enduro 250 2stroke recommendations?

Kdx 200 , dt 200 , yz cr kx rm 

Remember you get what you pay for. If its cheap theres probably a reason for it

• Like 5

RMX250 would be my suggestion (but I may or may not be a bit on the biased side!).... otherwise a KDX200 (as mentioned by mick) or if you can find one a YZ/WR250...

I've had both a 94 and a 98 RMX and they were both great bikes. 

I would definitly avoid an MX 2 stroke (YZ, KX, RM, CR) in your situation - you're much better off aiming for an enduro bike.

the dilemma will be when you choose your budget and then potentially start seeing newer Euro 2 strokes in the same range (by newer i'm hypothesizing you looking at a 98 RMX and seeing an 02 KTM as an example!).. in that sort of scenario I would recommend trying to stick with the slightly older jap bike!

one to consider (and I know i'll potentially get howled down here) if wanting to keep the budget tight but not go quite so old would be a red Husky WR250. the red Husky's didnt have the greatest reputation but the bulk of the problems i've seen with them have been on the 4ts. I've known a few blokes over the years that have sworn by the 2ts - Cruiser is a great example... HERES an example of 2009 build first sold in 2011 one for $3000... in comparison a quick search of Gumtree shows 6 or so "ADR" (1998-2001) era RMX's ranging between $2000-$3000....

side note - the "ADR" era RMX's are from 98 to 2001 (mid 97 build) and are the same bike - they only had plastics and graphics changes during that period. IF looking at one of these question the owner on the last rebuild and whether or not the power valve was cleaned, inspected and/or replaced.... and then regardless of the answer consider pulling it out upon purchase and inspecting it - they are known to crack and can cause major damage.....

12 hours ago, Sheepy said:

How much is cheap?

21 minutes ago, ohmygewd said:

How much is cheap?

thats a very good - and extremely relevant - question!

I really should have asked that before rambling on above!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sheepy said:

Hey guys,

Just got into riding recently and got myself a dual sport (DRZ) as didnt know what i wanted to do.

I am looking at getting a new bike to hit trails on and was after some advice? 

Ideally this is what I am after

Very Cheap - an old jap bike maybe? If it runs its probably fine it doesnt need to last me very long

2 stroke - probably least important but would like a 2 stroke as seems more responsive and nippy which sounds great fun on dirt. (also easier/cheaper to work on???)

150-300cc? (if anyone thinks otherwise as a beginner please let me know)

Enduro

Was looking at the yz250 however it seems its more suited to motorcross, is this true? Heard a few mods (like flywheel) are important.

I want something ill be able to improve on and test my skills - considering I have only been out on dirt a handfuls of times pretty much anything will do that xD

Opinions would be great thanks again guys

Unless you look at 2007 and above I said the drz better bike than buying an old 2t as the drz are little heavy compared to the new bikes but if you buy old bike   there not a bad bike and really good for a first bike 

4 hours ago, RIDER said:

Unless you look at 2007 and above I said the drz better bike than buying an old 2t as the drz are little heavy compared to the new bikes but if you buy old bike   there not a bad bike and really good for a first bike 

So basically you think an old 2 stroke will weigh about the same as the drz and I may aswell stay with my newer more powerful drz as itl beat it in every way?

whats a good entry level bike  would you say then?

Thanks for the thorough advice 2t4me, any reason you think stick with a jap a few older over a euro a few years newer? WIll definately check out the kdx and rmx, is there any difference between a wr and yz250?

It is relative thats why i said cheap as chips hahah to show i really meant cheap.

Ideally im thinking under 1500 and ill just run it into the ground

29 minutes ago, Sheepy said:

So basically you think an old 2 stroke will weigh about the same as the drz and I may aswell stay with my newer more powerful drz as itl beat it in every way?

whats a good entry level bike  would you say then?

The 2t are lighter but handling and ergo where not so refined back then so unless you look at new model I would stay with the drz and save your money as there not much gain buying a old bike

1 hour ago, Sheepy said:

Ideally im thinking under 1500 and ill just run it into the ground

I would think it'll be a struggle to find something that won't need work for this amount. You might have to settle for the best condition bike at that price rather than the best type of bike. Neither an enduro or MX bike will be much use if it's got leaking crank seals or worse. 

No estart means you need good balance, technique and timing when you try to get it started on a really steep hill.

On the tight trails the DRZ should be good; are you worried about scratching it up too much in the bush? I love my DRZ 250 in the tight trails but have decided to ride my KTM on them instead for this reason.

Out of the Jap MXers the KX250s (stock) are probably the best for offroad (light and easy handling / suspension, smooth / torquey motors and slightly wider gear ratios than the YZ / RM / CR). With a 13 ounce flywheel they'll climb anything and get great traction (flywheel weight even works well in MX) and are good in sand / ruts / rocks etc but too soft for MX unless modified.

• Like 2

$1500 ??? Are you after a push bike or a motorcycle?

Seriously mate you have to spend at least $5-6k for something decent.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I know I have a massive soft spot for the rmx but I'm having a hard time believing the ergos and the handling of a drz400 would be any better than the handling of an RMX....

The 2t are lighter but handling and ergo where not so refined back then so unless you look at new model I would stay with the drz and save your money as there not much gain buying a old bike
I didn't ride the circa 2000 katos etc so am only going from here say, but my understanding is the euros of that era werent the best handling bikes - I think it's fair today the Japanese bikes had them well covered at the time...

But with a budget around 1500 and the intent to ride it into the ground I'm thinking it's the old thing of not necessarily looking for a spfic model as such, more so just looking for the bike in the best condition (if that makes sense!)

I highly doubt you'll find the first of the yammi wr/yz 250 2 strokes in that price range as I think they have become a bit of a collector's bike, the difference between them and the yz was basically in softer suspension and wider gear ratios....

As above electric starts are great, and they certainly make life easier but don't rule out bikes because of not having them - let's face it, bloke have been trail riding for decades and buttons are only a wide spread feature of the last 15 or so years! Yes, it was apart of my reason for moving on from the rmx and I couldn't imagine not having one now BUT all my learning and early years of riding was without one!!

Good luck
  • Like 3

stick with the DRZ Sheepy

anything you buy for $1500 will need money thrown at it

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Agree with coggs.

If you already have a DRZ then ride that for a year until you've learnt a lot of the basics and starting to ride harder terrain before bothering swapping to a new, old bike.

My Dad and Uncle learnt on a KLX250S which is basically the same as the DRZ. They tractor through most things, only downside is they are heavy :(

But they do have shorter seat heights, good fuel range, low maintenance intervals.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BearMX said:

I would think it'll be a struggle to find something that won't need work for this amount. You might have to settle for the best condition bike at that price rather than the best type of bike. Neither an enduro or MX bike will be much use if it's got leaking crank seals or worse. 

No estart means you need good balance, technique and timing when you try to get it started on a really steep hill.

On the tight trails the DRZ should be good; are you worried about scratching it up too much in the bush? I love my DRZ 250 in the tight trails but have decided to ride my KTM on them instead for this reason.

Out of the Jap MXers the KX250s (stock) are probably the best for offroad (light and easy handling / suspension, smooth / torquey motors and slightly wider gear ratios than the YZ / RM / CR). With a 13 ounce flywheel they'll climb anything and get great traction (flywheel weight even works well in MX) and are good in sand / ruts / rocks etc but too soft for MX unless modified.

Yep beggers cant be choosers especially at that price.

Not at all worried about scratching it up its covered in scratches already, knocked off 4 indicators in the last two weeks and broken my speed sensor twice. I forgot to mention its a drz400 not a drz250, feels like a bit of a pig in tight trails. Taken it on some and it takes it out of me. 

Have been looking in to the kx looks about perfect for what i want, I find it strange that all the jap smokers are mxers

13 hours ago, 2t4me said:

I know I have a massive soft spot for the rmx but I'm having a hard time believing the ergos and the handling of a drz400 would be any better than the handling of an RMX....

I didn't ride the circa 2000 katos etc so am only going from here say, but my understanding is the euros of that era werent the best handling bikes - I think it's fair today the Japanese bikes had them well covered at the time...

But with a budget around 1500 and the intent to ride it into the ground I'm thinking it's the old thing of not necessarily looking for a spfic model as such, more so just looking for the bike in the best condition (if that makes sense!)

I highly doubt you'll find the first of the yammi wr/yz 250 2 strokes in that price range as I think they have become a bit of a collector's bike, the difference between them and the yz was basically in softer suspension and wider gear ratios....

As above electric starts are great, and they certainly make life easier but don't rule out bikes because of not having them - let's face it, bloke have been trail riding for decades and buttons are only a wide spread feature of the last 15 or so years! Yes, it was apart of my reason for moving on from the rmx and I couldn't imagine not having one now BUT all my learning and early years of riding was without one!!

Good luck

Once again very informative post!

Exactly! As long as it does its job im happy, for that price it wont be my dream bike.

I never realised the wr came as a 2 stroke, the more you know!

Lets be honest for 1500 i really wouldnt expect an electric start on the bike and if it had one I doubt it would work. but hey wouldnt be complaining

12 hours ago, Pygmygod said:

Agree with coggs.

If you already have a DRZ then ride that for a year until you've learnt a lot of the basics and starting to ride harder terrain before bothering swapping to a new, old bike.

My Dad and Uncle learnt on a KLX250S which is basically the same as the DRZ. They tractor through most things, only downside is they are heavy :(

But they do have shorter seat heights, good fuel range, low maintenance intervals.

guessing most of this post is irrelevant (shorter seat height oooofft) but its a drz400 not 250

18 hours ago, 2t4me said:

Good luck

My old man had one and can said it was a good bike  I like it I've even been thinking about getting one for hardcore adventure riding 

stick to the drz400.  Getting the suspension set up correctly is a *must* the stock setup is a deflecting and compression packing nightmare.  

Just don't fight the weight.  If you get stuck on a log, roll back and hit it again instead of trying to push it over, roll back down and give the hill a 2nd shot etc.  The engine has heaps of low grunt and doesn't flame out, so use it to the advantage and its a more than capable bike.