Pepperjack

Swag.??

Hey gang...I'm in the market for a new swag (never had one before!) .. I'm pretty tall (194cm/6'4").. any advice on what is good or what to avoid etc.?

I want one where I can move around..don't touch the sides(wet sleeping bag) and it can be torrential rain etc outside and I don't get wet in there. Am I dreaming?

Can you roll any of them up wet.? Ie the morning packup etc

I've camped in a swag for 20 years and still camping in the one that I bought back then. Biggest game changer is having a stretcher. Keeps off the cold ground and avoids finding those sticks and rocks at 2 in the morning.

Something like this would keep it off you.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/single-swag-escape-canvas-50mm-mattress-adventure-kings.html

I have a Darche swag which is fantastic but I have been contemplating passing that onto my son and getting myself a Kings double swag from 4wd supacentre so I've got a bit of extra space!

Couple things to consider when looking at swags, waterproof bottom that comes up the sides a bit 'bathtub style bottom' in case it rains and you end up in standing water. Fine mesh screening to keep out the smaller bugs, exterior center hoop because if it's inside it can cause the canvas to leak, 75mm mattress although most are only 50mm. Be sure to season it before using it. This place in Frankston is where I got mine https://techniice.com/camping-gear/swags.html. It only has the 50mm mattress but I set it up on foam padding, I recommend the XL it's plenty long and extra wide but not a double like the Kings..

Got a Bourke and Wills XL which gets used about once every 2-3 years.

i believe Darche are also very good.

• Like 1

If your tall you may want to look at a swent. You can sit up in these and its easier to get undressed/dressed.My brother has one from "southern cross canvas" and its great. Not cheap but a1 quality.
Swag may be a bit easier to use but unless your using it all the time or for on an extended trip it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

Im not tall but ive got 4 swags depending on where im going or wat im doin, got a bike swag for overnighters and a hunters swag thats a double so for hunting and just me and mrs camping then a week away swag my good old faithfull darche swag. I love swagging it and so do the kids

Aussie disposals have swags...'high country' brand...any thoughts on those versus oztrail.?

Aside from size.. what are the main points of difference ..kinda hard to shop for these without emotions..trying for logic. I saw Jeff Ballard's one.. quite funny, his video...so dead pan. He talks about the shoe mat... So stuff like that..what should I be evaluating them on..?

Aussie disposals have swags...'high country' brand...any thoughts on those versus oztrail.?

Aside from size.. what are the main points of difference ..kinda hard to shop for these without emotions..trying for logic. I saw Jeff Ballard's one.. quite funny, his video...so dead pan. He talks about the shoe mat... So stuff like that..what should I be evaluating them on..?

So swags are a needs vs wants scenario, i take my boots off when im in my swag with legs over edge, never had a high country branded swag but got 4 kids in oz trail swags that love em.

Oh canvas is a good talking point too thicker canvas is more heat retention

I hava a Aussie disposal swag as my parents own a Aussie disposal store so I often do stock take literally, I would recommend going in there and tell them your wants n needs and budget and see what they recommend.
I waxed the stiching as thats where they will leak if there going to leak
Oh and you can roll it up wet if needed just unroll asap to dry as mould will set in if left wet for to long
  • Like 1

I hava a Aussie disposal swag as my parents own a Aussie disposal store so I often do stock take literally, I would recommend going in there and tell them your wants n needs and budget and see what they recommend.
I waxed the stiching as thats where they will leak if there going to leak
Oh and you can roll it up wet if needed just unroll asap to dry as mould will set in if left wet for to long
Don't suppose you know if Aussie disposals will match oztrail on price..? Or do they Bahrain. The Ossie one looks good..it's like 350... The same kind in oztrail I can get for about 170.. oztrail seems to have the brand name but if I look at the specs the Aussie disposals one seems better...thicker canvas, thicker mistress etc

Reckon I'm going for either of these two...

1. $349 @ Aussie https://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/hi-country-howqua-swag

2. $149 @ tentworld
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/oztrail-mitchell-expedition-single-swag

Open to comments and ideas here...(on just these two options please)..they both seem so similar but 2. is like $200 less...!!!

Reckon I'm going for either of these two...

1. $349 @ Aussie https://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/hi-country-howqua-swag

2. $149 @ tentworld

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/oztrail-mitchell-expedition-single-swag

Open to comments and ideas here...(on just these two options please)..they both seem so similar but 2. is like $200 less...!!!

Dearer 1 has thicker canvas and matress and a slighty longer and higher head height

Don't suppose you know if Aussie disposals will match oztrail on price..? Or do they Bahrain. The Ossie one looks good..it's like 350... The same kind in oztrail I can get for about 170.. oztrail seems to have the brand name but if I look at the specs the Aussie disposals one seems better...thicker canvas, thicker mistress etc
If it was me and l could get same specs for cheaper its a no brainer, nothing to loose by going into aussies and see what they can do for you
  • Like 2

I bought a darche last year. It’s very well made and waterproof.  I have used it once out of the two times I have been away. Last time I went away I slept in the back of my wagon as it was going to be super cold and windy and I was going to be drinking a bit . Getting in and out of the car is easy... I get up a few times during the night to drink water and relieve myself and getting in and out of the swag is just plain difficult to say the least even with a big swag if it’s raining and getting the blankets back over your feet is near impossible unless your twelve . Putting boots on and off and crawling in and out of a swag in the rain is just hard work .  I must be to old ...

I am going to buy a pop up tent for $40 for warmer weather and car it when it’s cold . I like to be able to sit up to drink water in the tent and have somewhere to put my boots other than near my face when it rains .

I’m not a swag convert just yet...

I ended up grabbing the one from Aussie disposals...they dropped $100 of the RRP...suited me as it was in Sunbury and seemed a little better, spec wise. Let's see how it goes..!!!!

• Like 4

Our first try at a swag was a Darche double. It's big. The wife and I can easily sleep in the . Lay side by side and don't touch the walls or each other. We love it

If I was to look at them again. I would look more at end entry exit design. I don't like opening the top when it's raining.

As others have said. Season it and make sure it's dry when you pack it away in ya shed.

• Like 1

I have an 8 person 3 area tent. cost $249 

middle area is for changing and all things muddy. End rooms for sleeping.

Takes me 20min to set up and fits on the back seat of the car. 

Love it.

Rain Hail or shine it is great to be able to stand up.

Ok..... The wind can be an issue. But yet to let me down with keeping me dry.