1 1
PeteV

Garmin 64. $265 new with Aussie warranty

Ebay have 20% off lots of items at the moment for Father’s Day using the coupon  code “Parent “ 

i bought a Garmin 64 ( normally $334) from  Ryda.com.au Ebay store for $264 delivered 

Bargain! BD666AC3-7AC5-4003-81C0-A56689E93E5D.thumb.png.80c59c00ae47ed39551d8f5e27e0caa1.png

• Like 3

Ebay have 20% off lots of items at the moment for Father’s Day using the coupon  code “Parent “ 
i bought a Garmin 64 ( normally $334) from  Ryda.com.au Ebay store for $264 delivered 
Bargain! BD666AC3-7AC5-4003-81C0-A56689E93E5D.thumb.png.80c59c00ae47ed39551d8f5e27e0caa1.png

Looks great Pete hard to find the mounts for em though and there even more expensive than the garmins themselves.
Had you found one that holds the unit in without it sliding out?

You could buy an Etrex20 just as easily and prob get 20% off the normal $258 price $207 Mounts for them are cheap as chips .

I haven't looked for a mount for it yet . If a cant find what I want at a good price I'll make one out of cable ties and bits of junk in my shed.

• Like 1

Blackview..bv6000s...$194. Locus maps. Aymazing unit

Try both side by side ..see what you think

• Like 1

I did see your post the other week pepper jack. 

Phones do not run 16 hours unless you have them on a power source . 

Ive been running a phone app for years from my pocket  (MotionX) . Very  happy with it but I need something  more rugged on my bars so I can follow a track easily . MotionX is useless for followings a certain track,  great for recording them or looking at multiple tracks .  If I mounted a phone on my bars I’d expect to smash the screen sooner than later . 

• Like 2

I did see your post the other week pepper jack. 
Phones do not run 16 hours unless you have them on a power source . 
Ive been running a phone app for years from my pocket  (MotionX) . Very  happy with it but I need something  more rugged on my bars so I can follow a track easily . MotionX is useless for followings a certain track,  great for recording them or looking at multiple tracks .  If I mounted a phone on my bars I’d expect to smash the screen sooner than later . 
True, normally. Very true. Having used the BV6000s now a fair bit I am very impressed with the battery. I thought I would have to wire in a USB charger but not so.. it lasts all day easily (running with screen on and with the GPS app mapping). I would say you'd get 16 hours out of it.. might test that.!

It is tough as ?uck.. watch this video.. the nail test did it for me

The main thing really is, aside from ruggedness and battery life, the app - Locus Maps. It is truly excellent. Lots of stuff on YouTube. Might see if I can record my screen next ride I do.

MotionX is for iPhone. Locus Maps is for Android.. iPhone apps are usually a lot more simple (apple encourage this(and it is usually a good thing)). Locus Maps can be used for simple stuff but it also has tons of functionality which an iPhone equivalent just wouldn't have. Granted also..there are some truly ugly Android apps.! ..this is not one.

Not trying to start a religious discussion here.! If you love your iPhone, great..if you love Garmin..great. personally, as a ride leader and track planner - I've owned many Garmin's and iPhones and when it comes to computers I run only apple Mac's but for phones..for mapping.. Android and Locus Maps all the way. Just putting it out there because this package is a diamond in the rough that most people would never consider, they'd just 'go buy a Garmin'.

• Like 1

Never been on a flowing ride with people going off a phone. Garmin all the way in my eyes, plus with the Basecamp program it's awesome

• Like 1

Jonny Appleseed has the cheapest mounts for the Garmin range

I purchased a mount from them... not very sturdy

MotionX is for iPhone. Locus Maps is for Android.. iPhone apps are usually a lot more simple (apple encourage this(and it is usually a good thing)). Locus Maps can be used for simple stuff but it also has tons of functionality which an iPhone equivalent just wouldn't have. Granted also..there are some truly ugly Android apps.! ..this is not one.

My major issue with motion x is this 005f735ecc078db0d092ec4fcf202874.png

You can’t follow a track ..., you don’t know which way you followed it last time ..,
The same track in viewranger gps (. Android and Iphone) 80e897200201b1b93afb5b98bc99eecf.png

It shows the route with arrows ..,

Ok. So it arrived in the mail today and I've installed OSM and the Garmin topo . V4 maps

Is that what everyone is running ?

I walked the dog round the block .. And recorded a track and specifically crossed over my track a few times to see if I could retrace my track and know which track to take at a crossover .

Initially I couldn't but a little tweaking of the display 850800c9ad3c0eacbd2a1a0f8f2a3050.jpg&key=77a175a562c087dcf608c14921f11d9c9939a61869b0a0c6743240ca4738ef9f

to show the "pointer ". Has my issue resolved and I was able to walk our other dog around the block retracing my original loop .

My question is. What items do everyone else have in the 'data fields' and what do you find works best ?

I like using only "two small" as I'm really struggling with the screen size compared to the theatre screen iPhone I've been using to date.

Cheers Pete

Enjoying the information in the replies as this thread has got me to the point of purchasing my own Garmin.

Pete - Is your initial reaction to recommend this GPS unit? 

I've found this mount that seems to be the most suitable... Anyone have experience with these?

5 hours ago, maccastrewth said:

Enjoying the information in the replies as this thread has got me to the point of purchasing my own Garmin.

I've found this mount that seems to be the most suitable... Anyone have experience with these?

I have that mount, indestructible but does protrude a bit and takes some mucking around to get in a good position on the bars.  But good flexibility unlike some of the other mounts. Get the shorter arm length.

The roller bar at the bottom of the GPS holder has a habit of coming loose and falling off, I've replaced it with new longer screw and lock nut and no further problems.  There is a post somewhere else on that fix.

I've also got a cord attached to the unit which I loop around the bars when I install it.  Only ever came of the GPS holder once for me, and that was because I didn't install it properly, but the cord saved it.

Also, the word is the GPSmap 64S version is better, supposedly more accurate than the plain 64 version as well as a few other things, but more expensive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skunna said:

I have that mount, indestructible but does protrude a bit and takes some mucking around to get in a good position on the bars.  But good flexibility unlike some of the other mounts. Get the shorter arm length.

The roller bar at the bottom of the GPS holder has a habit of coming loose and falling off, I've replaced it with new longer screw and lock nut and no further problems.  There is a post somewhere else on that fix.

I've also got a cord attached to the unit which I loop around the bars when I install it.  Only ever came of the GPS holder once for me, and that was because I didn't install it properly, but the cord saved it.

Also, the word is the GPSmap 64S version is better, supposedly more accurate than the plain 64 version as well as a few other things, but more expensive.

Thanks for the info!  That's about all I need to confirm the purchase.  The ebay sale ends on the 30th, so I'll get the order in.

Fathers day is a good excuse to drop $500 isn't it?!

• Like 1

No I hate not having a touch screen for entering text - It’s like going back ten years - and the screen is minuscule compared to a phone. A friend highly recommends the etrex20 .

I’ll get used to it though . I’ve only had it a a day and need to learn how to use it..

Well after having used the BV6000s now for 4 rides..both adventure (1) and trail(3) with the quadlock holder I'm a full convert.

Battery life is excellent. Screen is great, so easy to zoom in out, drop waypoints, move around etc. The thing is tough as nails.. indestructible. IP68 rating for water and dust also.

And.. the unit is $190 .. that's an accross the board winner for in my mind.

• Like 2

interesting read - shows that we are spoiled for choice for so many things these days! 

I don't use a GPS (i'm old fashioned and not the greatest with technology!) but figure at some point I may give in and look at giving one a go.... I reckon Pepperjacks option looks appealing for anyone (like me) who's not convinced they would use it that often!

On 8/24/2018 at 3:57 AM, Pepperjack said:

It is tough as ?uck.. watch this video.. the nail test did it for me

that is pretty impressive... i've had lifeproof cases for my last 2 phones (Samsung S5 and Google Pixel) and as good as they are they definitely dont provide that level of protection!

I was thinking of doing GPS/NAV courses.. and maybe some nav challenges.. wonder what the interest level is.

NAV/GPS...seems to me it either something you're into....or you'd just rather follow someone who is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pepperjack said:

I was thinking of doing GPS/NAV courses.. and maybe some nav challenges.. wonder what the interest level is.

NAV/GPS...seems to me it either something you're into....or you'd just rather follow someone who is.

or option C - you use your memory!

It is something i'd be keen to learn how to use - I know a few guys that have done "GPS" rides that sound like a blast!

On 8/29/2018 at 8:49 AM, maccastrewth said:

Gday mate be careful with that ram mount as it does have a roller at the bottom that does come off... I nearly lost my garmin 64 and haven't used it since hhmm once bitten twice shy

3 hours ago, TRAILZ said:

Gday mate be careful with that ram mount as it does have a roller at the bottom that does come off... I nearly lost my garmin 64 and haven't used it since hhmm once bitten twice shy

Thanks Trailz, I noted that from another comment and found this thread:

Apparently a near $100 mount needs a further $10 of shed ingenuity before it's safe to use :wacko:

Rule of thumb is attach a tether strap and cable tie it to your bars so you dont get back to cars and go "Ew wheres my GPS?"  With all the bumping and stuff going on if its not surprising a few have been lost.  Tightened bolts vibrate loose on dirt bikes and fall out.  Something clipped in is vulnerable on a dirt bike end of story.