1 1
BIGGIE

garmin etrex 30

think ive posted this before, ive had a good search but cant locate it.

so a while ago i bought a garmin etrex 30. ive used it on 4 rides, and all of them i cant get it to do what I want it to.

ive worked out how to drop the pin but cant work out how to leave lines/marks where ive ridden.

Example: drop the pin and start the ride. the little marker moves as I do but no markings on the map the direction ive come from. So it will help me find my way back to the pin by giving me a general direction but if I wanted to hit a track ive ridden previously there is no marking on the map what so ever.

Ive watched plenty of youtube vids but cant find what im looking for. im sure the device has a capability.

thanks in advance

@andy350 has one of these,.. I just showed him how to do it. He's yet to do it in anger but I think you will have a mate in Andy very soon to help out!

it does take tracks by default - you probably just don't have them showing up. (settings)

@andy350 has one of these,.. I just showed him how to do it. He's yet to do it in anger but I think you will have a mate in Andy very soon to help out!
it does take tracks by default - you probably just don't have them showing up. (settings)

I may initiate GPS frustration proceedings this weekend.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

I may initiate GPS frustration proceedings this weekend. emoji3.png

We'll do some GPS challenges this weekend Andy - Saturday is going to be wet as so maybe some 4wd'ing is in order!!

But...., when you see how cool mine is in action - for $180 ....  you might want to >>> https://www.kathmandu.com.au/help-centre/returns-and-exchanges/change-of-mind

mine is : http://www.blackview.hk/blackview-147/

... I love it. Rugged, long battery, great screen.. and I use Locus Maps (which really is very excellent) : http://www.locusmap.eu/

:-) :-)  

• Like 1

thanks guys but if anyone knows where I need to go to select the correct setting that would be awesome :D

I've found the best way for an old bloke like me is to find someone who is super tech savvy and has the best equipment; people like Pepperjack. Then, l get onto their rides and follow them. Seems to work great!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, ohmygewd said:

Do you want to record a track or simply waypoints?

not too familiar what way points are. I just want it to mark where ive ridden and have a marker where ive started (unload point).

14 hours ago, BearMX said:

I've found the best way for an old bloke like me is to find someone who is super tech savvy and has the best equipment; people like Pepperjack. Then, l get onto their rides and follow them. Seems to work great!

lol good plan. I want to lead more rides in future, that way I can ride the locations I want, and because im so slow and unfit I can dictate the pace and how often we have breaks :D

3 hours ago, BIGGIE said:

not too familiar what way points are. I just want it to mark where ive ridden and have a marker where ive started (unload point).

Waypoints are basically marking a point of reference on your GPS..it doesn't tell you how you got there or how to get there just marks a location:

What you want to do is turn on the track log function which allows you to record the track you are current riding and then you can use the track back function to follow it back.

• Like 1

Thank you Pepperjack for your day course in GPS (etrex 30x) usage and found a Geocache on the way. With a bit more practice this should remove those one or two dead ends with 20odd riders behind you.

yep i thought they were a bit pricey before I ordered them but once I got them I reliased why. worth every dollar!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Efraim said:

Hey Biggie which holder is that on the photo

they are call RAM mounts, this is what I got for my bike:

RAM Mount Cradle Garmin eTrex 10, 20 & 30 GPS

RAM Mount M8 Motorcycle Triple Clamp Mount Kit with Short Arm

RAM-B-186U-A

RAM-HOL-GA48U

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 8:05 AM, Marko_FE250 said:

2 for $5, had this GPS holder for last 2 years with no problems emoji108.pngad0be525f78a859de2739b91f81e8e2c.jpg

I've been using the same Marko and still have the spare one somewhere which I thought I would need being that these are made for pushbikes

• Like 1