eagle

Closing down events MX races

Just looking on Heraldsun webb page, head line says closing of events due to pollution & has a picture of 80cc MX race ?

I'm not paying to look @ HS online so maybe someone else can shed some light on this ?

• Like 1

Text below:

Environment Protection Amendment Bill would be a protesters’ paradise

A BILL designed to cut pollution in Victoria has been dubbed a “protesters’ paradise” by critics who say they will lead to events and projects being shut down.

The Minerals Council of Australia has written to state MPs warning that the Environment Protection Amendment Bill could threaten jobs because of clauses giving new “community rights” to people wanting to hold potential polluters to account.

This would allow people to take matters to court if they believe the law is not being upheld by the Victorian Environment Protection Authority.

MCA executive director in Victoria, Megan Davison, says in her letter this could hurt the state’s competitiveness.

“The minerals industry has significant experience regarding third parties instigating appeals through court systems as a way to delay and disrupt projects,” Ms Davison wrote.

She told the Herald Sun this could limit the ability of companies to “create jobs and support the regional communities in which they operate”.

The Andrews Government has dismissed the concerns, and says the core objective of the Bill is to create a new environment duty that forces companies or individuals to con­sider and minimise pollution harm. The government says it is unlikely complaints could be made before an activity starts.

Energy Minister Lily D’Ambrosio said the third party rights “will allow Victorians affected by pollution to take action in the courts when they believe the law has been broken and the EPA hasn’t acted”.

But the Combined Firearms Council of Victoria is warning members of the risk to duck shooting or motocross events if protesters use the law — which passed the Lower House but is yet to be debated in the Upper House — to shut them down. In a blog about the “protesters’ paradise” Bill, it says an interim order could even be sought at court because of noise pollution.

“The effect of the Bill is to make it easy for such a person to shut down the activity they are complaining about, simply because of the risk that pollution might occur,” it says.

“The new laws could equally apply to the timber industry, the running of battery chicken farms, motocross — any ­activity which creates any form of pollution under the new definition.”

Environment Victoria applauded the government for creating “a legal right for the community to enforce pollution control laws”.

Environment Protection Amendment Bill would be a protesters’ paradise
Matt Johnston, Herald Sun
August 5, 2018 8:52pm
Subscriber only
A BILL designed to cut pollution in Victoria has been dubbed a “protesters’ paradise” by critics who say they will lead to events and projects being shut down.
The Minerals Council of Australia has written to state MPs warning that the Environment Protection Amendment Bill could threaten jobs because of clauses giving new “community rights” to people wanting to hold potential polluters to account.
Critics say that, if passed, the Bill could shut down motocross and other events.
This would allow people to take matters to court if they believe the law is not being upheld by the Victorian Environment Protection Authority.
MCA executive director in Victoria, Megan Davison, says in her letter this could hurt the state’s competitiveness.
“The minerals industry has significant experience regarding third parties instigating appeals through court systems as a way to delay and disrupt projects,” Ms Davison wrote.
She told the Herald Sun this could limit the ability of companies to “create jobs and support the regional communities in which they operate”.
The Andrews Government has dismissed the concerns, and says the core objective of the Bill is to create a new environment duty that forces companies or individuals to con­sider and minimise pollution harm. The government says it is unlikely complaints could be made before an activity starts.
Energy Minister Lily D’Ambrosio said the third party rights “will allow Victorians affected by pollution to take action in the courts when they believe the law has been broken and the EPA hasn’t acted”.
But the Combined Firearms Council of Victoria is warning members of the risk to duck shooting or motocross events if protesters use the law — which passed the Lower House but is yet to be debated in the Upper House — to shut them down. In a blog about the “protesters’ paradise” Bill, it says an interim order could even be sought at court because of noise pollution.
“The effect of the Bill is to make it easy for such a person to shut down the activity they are complaining about, simply because of the risk that pollution might occur,” it says.
“The new laws could equally apply to the timber industry, the running of battery chicken farms, motocross — any ­activity which creates any form of pollution under the new definition.”
Environment Victoria applauded the government for creating “a legal right for the community to enforce pollution control laws”.

The government's just trying to help  us!  Soon, instead of buying motorbikes and taking your kids riding, and teaching them to have fun safely and to be responsible for themselves and those around them, joining them up to a club etc, all you'll need to do is buy them some cans of spray paint and a crack pipe and tell them not to worry about coming home at night.

State elections coming up in November.  This bill and the push for the 'Great Forest National Park' will affect all of us. It may be a good

time to send an email or letter or call your local member, they get real sensitive around election time, they might lose their job!!!

Here's how to find them...

Find your district (local lower house) representative and region (upper house)representative here... https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/about/electorates

and contact details here. 

https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/about/people-in-parliament/members-search/list-all-members

I will be sending a letter to my local member today! 

Cheers, Simon J.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have already sent a message to my local member,she lost by a small margin last election and I have asked Matthew Guys thoughts on it as I know her and her family are keen fishermen and love the bush 

Good stuff Shane, I sent this to my local member, Robert Clark,  member for Box Hill (Liberal). Anyone wish to use any of this, please go ahead but add your own opinions and thoughts!

Dear Robert,

Just a short note to let you know that I am concerned about the push for the Great Forest National Park and also about the Environment Protection Amendment Bill 2018.

As a recreational motorcycle rider and user of the state forests in the Toolangi and Murrindindi areas for the last 40 years or so (!) I am concerned that my right and freedom

to use the state forests will be severely limited or even stopped completely if the GFNP comes to be, and if the EPA amendments go ahead.

Many of your constituents are hunters, 4WDers, recreational fishermen, campers, walkers and trailbike and mountain bike riders. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of businesses

In the eastern suburbs of Melbourne catering for these forest users.

The state forests provide an outlet particularly for young men to escape from the city and enjoy their chosen activity with some degree of freedom. The importance of this with regard to

enjoyment of life and maintaining good mental health should not be understated (and would be worthy of some study!).

I ask you to take my views into consideration when assessing your position on these two items of legislation.

Best Regards,

Simon Jamison

Contact details

• Like 2

Reply from Robert Clark. (MP) Member for Box HIll

Dear Simon 

Thank you for your email about these issues, and I’m sorry it’s taken me a while to get back to you. 

The Liberal-Nationals coalition are always very concerned to ensure that the legitimate uses of public land are properly taken into account whenever proposals for national parks are put forward. 

RE the Environmental Protection Amendment Bill, we believe it has serious problems that require a deal of work to get them sorted out before this Bill goes further.   We moved to have the Bill referred to a select committee for examination and public hearings, but the government rejected such a referral, and we then voted against the Bill.  Unfortunately, however, the Bill has been passed in both Houses with the support of the Greens and some cross-benchers, and the Bill is likely to go through the Parliament next sitting week. 

Regards 

Robert Clark. (MP) Member for Box HIll

• Sad 2