Chasing Gypsy's Wombat

MrNoodle

The wet weather ruined my plans so a last minute browse of dirtriderz and a message to Gypsy and I was heading to Wombat for an early start. After missing the last ride I was going to do with Gypsy by sleeping in I wasn't going to do the same again. I was in bed about 8.30pm and woke up dreaming that I had slept in several times before midnight! In the end I was up early and left home about 5 to arrive at the unload under a full moon before 6am.  Probably riding by 6.45 but no idea as its too dark to read anything!

The first half hour odd was reliant on KTM headlights and we all know how great they are. We came to one little short, sharp uphill climb and I could not see anything. Gypsy was already up so I knew the general area to point the front wheel but not a line, rut, log or rock could be defined and the previous days solid rain made the ground super slick. In general that little climb is very easy, add those conditions and I only just got up it! I ate some dirt when I clicked into 3rd and the rear wheel successfully overtook the front wheel on some super slippery clay. After about 7 km's we started being not so reliant on the headlights and the ground looks slick and lots of water around. 

A great climb out of a creek was a good warm up and I was going pretty good till I lost a bit of momentum near the top and got to watch Gypsy come flying past at a speed I wish I was going. Another gully and I was struggling to get the 250 up some loose, shaley rocky, wet climb. I had a few goes before I swap bikes with Gypsy so he can have a go at getting up. This was a bad mistake as man that 300 TPI is one sweet bit of kit! It just did what I wanted with ease and I rode it too the top and listen to Gypsy try get up while I snacked on a sandwich. I decided I'd better go back and help when I remembered that I had been playing with the bike after last ride and made some changes but hadn't finished them off. Changed power valve spring but left the screw right out so the rear kept lighting up. Gypsy had figured this out and wound it in and rode her up.  This and his not liking of the x30 rear tyre meant we changed plans for the day which was fine by me, I was just happy to be out on the trails.

Gypsy was doing some suspension testing then comparing mine to his so I unfortunately had the joy of riding the 300 TPI. Yeah that bike needs to be in my shed. I have ridden Wombat quite a bit over the years but had never been to the lookout before and it is a great climb to get there. Lots of people camping at the campgrounds which was great to see and heaps of cars with bike trailers on the back in various carparks but we only came across 2 adventure riders on our day. All done by just after 12 and home before 2 and beating the rains. Cheers for having me Gypsy and thanks for letting me slow you up. The only time I reckon I was keeping up with you was when I was riding your bike..............Lucky I'm broke!

bd50983d9b00a5d421152ce23fe06585.jpg82f5702018e4ac4a21477ba207e18914.jpgd5b08398187c33118e9975d2f49fa6ef.jpge08d295616d141e5651008b52e94fe3b.jpghttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b5f0427c592a/MOV_4426.mp4

• Like 18

Thanks Noodles for coming out and having a play around.

Early start early finish , bike washed and serviced and still had half the day to spend with the family, win win.

I couldn’t believe how much water was out on the tracks as we didn’t get much rain during the week. As Noodles said heaps of campers and dirt bikers out and about, good to see people aren’t scared of the cold weather and wet conditions.

We didn’t do the usual loop , was still fun to be out on the bikes and swapping bikes around .

Till the next one, Rock on

Ps- Noodles piss that Intermediate tyre off and save it for the dryer months

• Like 10

Hi Mick

I'm curious, to what Noods had on the rear when you say piss off the intermediate tyre.

I have been running a sc5 medium on rear of the 300rr, seems ok but just put a new mx3s on and haven't been out yet want to see what the difference will be.

Cheers

Gary

Oh by the way Sicko is very happy with the 18 3fiddy he got from you.

Hi Mick

I'm curious, to what Noods had on the rear when you say piss off the intermediate tyre.

I have been running a sc5 medium on rear of the 300rr, seems ok but just put a new mx3s on and haven't been out yet want to see what the difference will be.

Cheers

Gary

Oh by the way Sicko is very happy with the 18 3fiddy he got from you.

Hi mate , yeah the Bridgestone X30 are a crap tyre in the wet.

IMO the only good tyre for Bridgestone are the X20 front & rear , and for the Michelin Starcross the only good tyre is the front soft , imo, I had bad experience with the rears soft and Intermediates.

Keep in mind I run 4m UHDT at 8psi on the rear,they maybe be different with Tubliss at 0-2 psi.

You will be very happy with the Dunlop Geomax MX3S I haven’t heard not one person say a bad thing about them, heaps off traction.

I nused a Dunlop Geomax recently, It has great grip but appeared to small on the rim- wouldn't lock into the bead evenly around the rim.

I swear it was too small in circumference - Very strange

I generally run the Starcross soft or medium 10-11PSI in the front and 8-10 in the rear seems to be the sweet spot for me

21 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

Keep in mind I run 4m UHDT at 8psi on the rear,they maybe be different with Tubliss at 0-2 psi.

There is no way you can run that pressure in the Starcross 5 tyre even with tubliss system, would be stupidly to soft 
IMO never drop below 6psi in the rear or go below 7-8 in the fronts even if you run the fatter 90 profile and using Tubliss
On the MX3s or any other stiffer sidewall tyre you will get away with 2psi but on the Starcross 5's you are asking for trouble and you will get it 

• Like 1