KTM 150 XCW '18 Jetting

Has anyone figured the best jetting for around Victoria?   I road 55km today hit reserve, used 10 litres. Float seems correct. 

Jetting is as per the manual recommends for Elevation 300-850meters:

Air 2 turns ij30 Needle 43-74 Pos2 MJ470

Much appreciate any info!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After reading that ADB review it prompted me to give a Dirtriderz review of the same bike.  I had the chance to ride a brand new Husqvarna tpi 150 a couple of weekends ago at Noojee. Back to back with

Incase any '18  150 carby owners are in the dark as I ws heres a update... Going to a 42-74 needle fixed the loading up issue. Clip 2nd from top.   (tried 3 from the top = did a plug) Becaus

Probably as often as you have sell a TPI and buy a new one before they blow up

Posted Images

Put a Lectron carby on it

I use then on all my machines and they're awesome, self adjust for elevation and I get 2.5-3 litres less use for the same amount of KM per tank

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Incase any '18  150 carby owners are in the dark as I ws heres a update... Going to a 42-74 needle fixed the loading up issue.

Clip 2nd from top.   (tried 3 from the top = did a plug)

Because it occurred during idle I was changing pilot's which did not help.   For around Melbourne's local hills the 30 pilot seems to be the go during winter.

Also using Motorex, It does burn the cleanest..

I lug a lot, so also I went to a cooler plug BR8EIX 5044. 

Anyway, maybe help any novices like me...Thanks to those who helped me!

• Like 6
On 7/30/2018 at 6:54 PM, Huski said:

Put a Lectron carby on it

I use then on all my machines and they're awesome, self adjust for elevation and I get 2.5-3 litres less use for the same amount of KM per tank

No good on a 150 if you want it for racing or performance but teriffic if you ride firetrails and open terrain stuff. On a 300 their ok as a 300 can afford to give up a bit but still you need to richen them right up for hard enduro type riding otherwise the engine runs far to hot then the economy benefits diminish dramatically. The new H series lectron is apparently alot better in this area but i have no experience with them so can't comment. Elevation changes are not an issue for us where we ride so thats no benefit. No overflow helps with fuel loss and is a great feature of the lectron. 

• Like 3

Good to hear you got the bike sorted mate.   br8eix is a hotter, not colder plug Benny. Stock oem plug is a 9 heat range.

Clip 3 is to rich for trailriding and not needed. 470 main is a good all rounder. These engines love a big main if your chasing top end or riding sand and can easily handle up to a 500 mainjet size.  

Mikuni is fine once it's sorted but ktm did a poor job and definately didn't deliver them sorted. The Keihin is more consistent and better for bottom end running especially in a 36mm version. Some stock oem reeds on certain bikes are horrible also and need to be checked for twisted or non flat reed blocks and large non sealing air gaps between the reed petals and the reed block which make correct jetting impossible. If found faulty, i recommend the v force 4 as a replacement and not oem.

I run both our 150's at 40 to 1 premix ratio now. I was originally using a 50 to 1 ratio but i wasn't happy with the amount of residual oil or the wear rates at rebuild time. 

• Like 3

Thanks a lot Cluffie! Appreciate you sharing your knowledge, I can only imagine how many hours it took to acquire.

Oh crap good to know about the plug.  

I'll take a look at the Reed pedals, was thinking may have an air leak..

Im happy the bike is running acceptable.  Its using less fuel, appears to be a little less than a 19tpi when I compare at days end.

Having the jetting acceptable also takes the pressure off ponying up the cash for a 150tpi. prefer to wait and see.

Stoked Mick form Neerim picked up a 150. He'll also be a good source!

Catch ya on the trails.

• Like 3

Yeh,the 150tpi is a bit of a rip off with a huge price increase and a hefty weight gain. The starter is still very average and the motor will need a new case redesign to improve it,thus the kicker being left on the bike. Bit of a shame really but ktm have to start somewhere. Once the kicker is dropped you know the starter is good. The 150i apart from that should be a good bike but not a great bike. I'm sure it will be awesome to ride. Reliability of the engine being supplied with oil injection has me worried with the minimum support of the piston due to the 150's massive exhaust ports in the aim of ktm chasing horsepower for racing teams and chasing the magical 40hp barrier for a small bore. Time and rebuild times will give the true story and i'm hoping it's ok with the prices of parts and especially cylinders here in AUS. A new cylinder every top end rebuild or every 2nd top end would be a deal breaker for many.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

My 150s reeds were knackered , I have a keihen 36mm , vforce4 reeds , and the TSP head going in this week hopefully,  also noticed my powervalve ihas a sticky spot  , common problem apparently,  looking into some aftermarket powervalve arms from F1 moto , will post up in a week or so with the results 

20191005_100145.jpg

Screenshot_20191005-102749_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Few problems for you there mick. Reeds are hit and miss so pull them and check. My sons 2017 were bad so fitted v4 and my daughters 2019 were good so we are running the stock ones. Replace if needed. The pv arms come good after a few hrs and is a non issue imo. You can pull them out and polish them up a bit and slightly round off the sharp edge to run them in quicker if it's an issue.
We run the stock head and it works well. Higher comp head will add extra strain to the already piss weak poor design starter but at least they have a kicker.
Pull the pipe and check piston regulary and run no more then 40:1 and not the recommended 60:1. Jet to suit and they run awesome.
My sons only getting 30hrs out of a piston and it's done.
Trailriding you'll get more but keep an eye on it especially around 40-50hrs. Any signs of wear and replace the piston or the cylinder will need recoating to keep it running at 100% which the 150 needs.
Weight is the biggest killer of the 150, so you have to make sure you don't load them up with every extra available and travel light. My kids are only 65kgs so they fly with them aboard but they are lethargic with me (113kg fully geared)on them if you're not on the pipe. They will lug down low but have poor mid range which is the design the 150 bike (mx motor) so can't complain about that.

• Like 3
Just now, Gypsy501 said:

Mick Mick Mick emoji86.png

Ive got a new  long hillclimb,  so far the 150 is by far the quickest to the top out of the 300s ive ridden up it,

that's with it running like crap , TPIs Beware !!:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Ive got a new  long hillclimb,  so far the 150 is by far the quickest to the top out of the 300s ive ridden up it,
that's with it running like crap , TPIs Beware !!

How many times do you have to stop and change Jets & adjust your air strew before you get to the top
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

How many times do you have to stop and change Jets & adjust your air strew before you get to the topemoji23.png

Probably as often as you have sell a TPI and buy a new one before they blow up:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
On 8/28/2019 at 12:38 PM, cluffie said:

55 minutes ago, cluffie said:

Few problems for you there mick. 

All sorted .lve got a new carby and reeds , lower comp tsp head with daves recommendations, should be a totally different bike ,

• Like 1
Probably as often as you have sell a TPI and buy a new one before they blow up

Hehe I’m sure if that’s the case we would of heard about that buy now.

Btw I’m moving away from hill climbs and riding creeks now, I want to be a extreme hard enduro rider
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, hoff300 said:

I can't believe some of them still come out like that! 

Makes me wonder what my 300 reeds look like , but it runs crisp (38pwkairstyker) so ill leave it for now

• Like 1
12 hours ago, cluffie said:

They will lug down low but have poor mid range which is the design the 150 bike (mx motor) so can't complain about that.

I found the midrange quite usable and meaty , just chasing a better cleaner bottom end , ive got no interest in riding it on the pipe , im only 80kg wet so im really hopeful that this with be my main bike ,

• Like 2
Cmon mate , starting sound like a 4t owner :sorriso-07: , you just worry about your $16k time bomb

81b56bd6bcfff07202ff61ac303b847a.jpg
Your spot on there

I’m seriously thinking of buying The 150tpi, it’s taken a few years for me to get it through my thick head (hair) but I’m a big believer now “less is More” .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2