katman

Linkage needle bearing replacement

I decided that since it doesnt get ridden much through the wet and slippery part of the year it would be a good time to service the linkage and swingarm bearings on my 2008 rm250.A close inspection showed the whole lot needed to be replaced so i bought  kits for both to replace everything.All went well except for the very last linkage bearing  which i damaged, so i pulled it out and went and bought a genuine one from Suzuki.I got this one fitted ok but as i was removing the bolt i had used as a presss it caught on some of the needles and they fell out.Now the very simple task of getting these needles in has me absolutely stuffed. The last one just doesnt fit, it sits slightly higher than all the rest and for the life of me i cant figure out the solution.Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Try and clean off as much grease on the last needle bearing position and fit that last needle bearing dry....it should press in with a bit of pressure on the bench.

Worst case scenario is to unpack 1/4 of the cage, clean off any grease in there and on the needle and reassemble...it's the compression of grease between the needles that are causing your issue.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. i had wondered if it had anything to do with the amount of grease i had packed in there.

• Like 1