2 2
Josha

KX Paint

Where is a good place to buy paint for a 1989 KX80 frame. I'm building an engine for a mate and he can't find a paint supplier for the frame.

5 minutes ago, Josha said:

Where is a good place to buy paint for a 1989 KX80 frame. I'm building an engine for a mate and he can't find a paint supplier for the frame.

Depends if youre after OEM colour or not which is Lime Green KAW002

As close as possible. It's not a concourse build, more of a family fun bike but we want it to look as good as it can.

PJ1 used to make spray cans of epoxy enamel in KX lime green which were a perfect match and good quality. One can would do a frame easy. I see they've still got them in the States but not sure about the local bike shops. The frames on the 89 500's were powder coated a satin black and top coated with green paint from the factory, I'd assume the 80 was the same. If the blacks gone you'll need to undercoat it as well.

Never tried it myself but was told Holden Lime green is a good match - people are still painting old Holdens in their original colours so a auto paint seller will probably have the codes / formula for it and be able to mix it. If you use basic paint (not enamel or 2 pack) it's not as tough but is heaps easier to paint, sand and polish imperfections and get a decent gloss glass finish, touch up small sections in the future without having to do a full strip and repaint, etc. You can also mix in a bit of clear for a super deep and shiny look.

Dulux used to also make a Lime green enamel spray can (I think they still have it), not as good a match (it's not as strong a green as the KX) or as tough but if your not fussy it's ok.

If using spray can enamels make sure the frame / surface is super dry (sit it inside and close to a heater) and warm up and shake the can before painting (sit the can in a pot of hot water).

This KX65 i did with a Supercheap Lime Green - Export rattle can

KX65-1.JPG.fdcf5865a55394a5cb1b65972ea443b5.JPGKX65-2.JPG.01fd18d636d545e1a550987b0ff78ece.JPG

Sabre that looks good enough for me. Cheers

That came up super neat btw

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Josha said:

Sabre that looks good enough for me. Cheers

That came up super neat btw

One of my pastimes - restoring dirt bikes - i did that when i worked for Sale Honda many moons ago

PJ1 used to make spray cans of epoxy enamel in KX lime green which were a perfect match and good quality. One can would do a frame easy. I see they've still got them in the States but not sure about the local bike shops. The frames on the 89 500's were powder coated a satin black and top coated with green paint from the factory, I'd assume the 80 was the same. If the blacks gone you'll need to undercoat it as well.
Never tried it myself but was told Holden Lime green is a good match - people are still painting old Holdens in their original colours so a auto paint seller will probably have the codes / formula for it and be able to mix it. If you use basic paint (not enamel or 2 pack) it's not as tough but is heaps easier to paint, sand and polish imperfections and get a decent gloss glass finish, touch up small sections in the future without having to do a full strip and repaint, etc. You can also mix in a bit of clear for a super deep and shiny look.
Dulux used to also make a Lime green enamel spray can (I think they still have it), not as good a match (it's not as strong a green as the KX) or as tough but if your not fussy it's ok.
If using spray can enamels make sure the frame / surface is super dry (sit it inside and close to a heater) and warm up and shake the can before painting (sit the can in a pot of hot water).

Bear, do you think they carry KTM Orange?🤣
  • Haha 1