I've decided in the next few months to upgrade my leaners bike, Honda CRF230F, I've ridden this bike for 3 years and I've outgrown it.

On rides I have ridden; Yamaha WR250F, KTM 350 EXC-F,  KTM 450 EXC, all of which has made my choice harder!

I've been looking at the following bikes; Honda CRF250/450X, Yamaha WR250/450F, KTM 250/450 EXC. Just wondering if anyone has any pro's / con's about these bikes, or if I should add something else to the mix. Unfortunately I won't be purchasing brand new, and my budget is around 4-6k.

And should I be worried if bike's I'm looking at have top-end/bottom-end rebuilds? And roughly how many km's can a bike do before a top/bottom end needs a rebuild?

I don't ride MX tracks, so happy to stick with an Endro bike.

The japs should be pretty much bullet proof, especially the 450’s, but will be a bit heavier and harder work if you start riding technical terrain.

I prefer the KTM, but I’m very biased. The biggest thing for me is the hydraulic clutch

• Like 4

I can't give you any advice on. Specific models that you've mentioned...

As I'm sure you're aware it's always a "risk" (for want of a better term) buying second hand bikes in a price range where the bikes will be older than 12-24months old...

In theory the Yammies and Honda's in that price range offer "Japanese reliability.. but again there will be a certain amount of pot luck with what ever you buy..

This isn't meant as a sales pitch, but in my mind, when a fairly active member lists their bike for sale on the forum, knowing that a fellow member may well buy it, I would generally assume they are confident that what they are selling is not a time bomb...

With that said, have a look at Nasty's 350EXC - it has highish K's/hours on it but it also has a hell of a lot of extras and it's an honest ad - obviously not all of them are (surely not every bike has "a fresh top end" like most that are advertised seem to have!). Have only ridden with Nasty a couple times but he comes across as a legit bloke and his bike is always well presented!

Look at it here https://www.dirtriderz.com/topic/15743-2012-ktm-350-exc/

Good luck with your search

I have a mate with a WR250F, 2018 model who leant it to me for some ad-hoc cattle mustering about a month ago.Only about half an hour though as the cows went back over the fence.

I am not a good rider, after watching the grading videos, maybe level 2.5 ish, but with 9 stubbies on board, workboots, shorts and sunnies as safety gear, this was light and powerful enough, great brakes, brilliant horn, low centre of gravity and really confidence inspiring.

You wont do the Finke on it expecting a place, but I reckon it was an absolute balltearer. Only thing that freaked me out was the engine braking. Maybe the 30 odd kilometres on the odometer, (my modern is a 2005 CRF450X) or the gearing, but this was sweet.

I'm guessing that quantum leaps have not occurred between year models, meaning a 2016 is likely similar, but you will need to research this.

On 4/15/2018 at 5:47 PM, Andylee321 said:

I've decided in the next few months to upgrade my leaners bike, Honda CRF230F, I've ridden this bike for 3 years and I've outgrown it.

On rides I have ridden; Yamaha WR250F, KTM 350 EXC-F,  KTM 450 EXC, all of which has made my choice harder!

I've been looking at the following bikes; Honda CRF250/450X, Yamaha WR250/450F, KTM 250/450 EXC. Just wondering if anyone has any pro's / con's about these bikes, or if I should add something else to the mix. Unfortunately I won't be purchasing brand new, and my budget is around 4-6k.

And should I be worried if bike's I'm looking at have top-end/bottom-end rebuilds? And roughly how many km's can a bike do before a top/bottom end needs a rebuild?

I don't ride MX tracks, so happy to stick with an Endro bike.

My story with dirtbikes:

I started with an 86 XR 350, tractored everywhere, heavy as hell, still sitting in the shed, will never part with her then I bought.............

A Honda 06 CRF 450X with unknown km's on it and bought it relatively cheap, owned by bogans before me (I am a bogan so all is fair!). This was my dream bike being a Honda head growing up so I wanted to get it "RIGHT" and this led to spending a hell of a lot of money trying to get it right and doing everything to it to renew it. I spent close to the cost of a new bike over 18 months but I did do a hell of a lot of unknown kms riding most weekends with dirtriderz when it wasn't getting fixed. I loved her but when I got lucky and had the chance to upgrade I got away from the 450 and was super happy with my decision to move onto a 13 Husaberg (KTM) FE 350.

The 350 was noticeably lighter (as you would know from your test rides) and would do everything from gnarly creek beds to wide open desert speeds with the same gearing of 13-52, thats a very versatile bike! I would just add fuel and learnt how to ride with Chads Offroad Suspension helping me look good. That thing climbs and finds traction where it shouldn't and made me look like a better rider than I am. They are a very predictable bike and could be safely ridden by a beginner or raced by a pro.

As time has gone on I have always been interested in what life was like with 2 less strokes in my dirtbiking life so I am hoping to buy another new bike in the next year or so. This is how the 17 KTM 250 EXC accidently ended up in my possession and decide which way to go in the near future..............2T or 4T.

I did top end, cam chain, valves, headwork, carby stuff, you name it I did it to the CRF except bottom end and related work. I did all this straight away so the bike would be good to go. I read way too much on the internet and that would be my next project before the next weekends ride! I did a top end at 160 hrs (maybe 4000km's)  on my Berg but it looked mint and didn't really need it at the time. I was advised that it would only need rings and good to go but didn't want to go back in there for a while so new top end and happy days. There is always a chance to be concerned if it has had any work done to a bike as this might be the reason they are offloading their bike. Way too many adds say fresh top end and low hrs, that doesn't read right to me, why would anyone do that way before service intervals? Also you never know the skill levels of the people doing the work on the bike. I do almost all my own work as then I only have one person to blame if something stuffs up (I dont touch my suspension except the clickers).  I've ridden lots (all the ones you've mentioned above) of bikes and always loved them and appreciate where some are better than others in different situations, but I was always really happy to be jumping back on my Berg 350.

I guess my advice is a 450 is a lot of bike if you like tighter stuff but the newer they get, the lighter they also get. If you ride a lot of firetrails or desert rides than 450's are perfect. Some people can punt around 450's no worries in the bush but they do fatigue you more as the day goes on than a 350.  I do have my Berg sitting in the shed looking a little sad but fully kitted out with almost a year of rec reg on it and about 315 hrs, but I don't think I can part with it...........yet I don't know when I will ride it next!

plenty of fantastic advise above.

of the 3 models you mentioned I would go for the KTM250. spare parts and maintenence costs will be higher but the bike will be lighter and you get a hydro clutch.

The answer is and always has been, you need more than one bike now back to reality where most of us can only own one at a time. You may be putting the horse before the cart by looking for the perfect bike without knowing what type of riding you’re going to go most. All of the bikes mentioned above are good choices but each one has its strengths and weaknesses. You can wrestle a 450 on single track but it’s not fun and you can ride deep sand and the high country on a 250 but you’ll be wishing for more power. So, try your best to decide what type of riding you’re going to do and search for a bike from there. I think of all the bikes out there Noods is right, the 350 does a pretty good job in every situation. Good luck and be sure and let us know what you end up with.

• Like 5