7 7
Bike nut

Problems with Klaus Mueller's Aust Trail Bike Tours in the high country

I'll start this off by saying I've done his tours a few times with few issues after hearing horror stories. ie; leaving guys for dead & his anger issues. I understand he has a schedule but telling guys to keep riding after cracking a valve cover & continuously leaking oil & saying it's fine after adding 1L & only just registering in the sight glass & making a fella ride himself to the hospital after breaking his leg.. I was cautious....

Enter the last experience....

On a five day ride (one day being 143km of black top) we stay at the Thredbo alpine resort with lift tickets included in the tour price, unfortunately due to bad weather the lift is closed for the day which Klaus Mueller happily tells us he will try to get a return so we can use it for lunch/beer etc. when asked about this later he just grumbles & walks away..

Enter the next morning....

Whilst having breakfast he comes over & say's (I moved the car round to load your bags but didn't notice your bikes chained to the trailer so I moved them also) all good, no harm, no foul.

We come out to put bags in the car & saddle up to find he hasn't moved the bikes, he has dragged them all the way around the car park...

Damaging two sets of grips, one peg, one muffler, one swing arm, ground down one axle nut, axle, an inch off one set of bars, broke a lever & badly scratched all the plastics...

Two which he says 'I don't think I should have to pay for the damages'

He is given a day before he is confronted with a fair offer to pay for the damage at cost of parts to which he still claims he doesn't see it as being his fault & refuses..

End of the ride he quietly slips $200 dollars to one of the owners, still does not accept responsibility & says 'this is about good will'

We look into the lift tickets we were all supposed to be not getting back & he is getting a full refund which calculates to be over $410- do the simple math here & figure out what he has done...

Am I being silly to think this guy is a crook & should be shamed, not trusted & let other people know to stay away??

If anyone else has any input on Klaus Mueller's Australian Trail bike Tours

Good or bad, please feel free to comment.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm winging.

• Thanks 1

Fark that - now that i know i will let others know

He should have at least given you a refund

I wouldnt be happy if someone dragged my bike - & broke something without asking

What a crook

Im actually reading some horror stories about Klaus Hitler right now - from way back in 2006

This one from DBW

"Yep ,Ive been on a High Country Ride with him,I thought Klaus was a knob and would never go on another tour with him,this is why
1. He has no communication between lead and sweep
2.He dosn't carry a sat phone or eperp
3.He will ride off while everyone is getting there gear on and leave everyone behind
4.On the ride I was on two of the guys was suffering fron heat exhaustion because Klaus dosn't pre ride any tracks and got us stuck on a track where a storm had come through and had to lift 12 bikes over at least 60 large trees.
5.He dosn't give a shit about his clients and was happy to leave the guy with heat exhaustion behind.
6.Another guy I know went on a ride with him when they came across another trail bike rider broken down,the guy I know stops to help and Klaus tells everyone to leave him because his not with us.
7.His a arogant **** head
Have Funcheeky-smiley-031.gif"

• Like 1

High country isn't really my thing - but if I ever decide to do a hc tour it won't be with him!

I can't possibly see how dragging your bikes around the carpark wouldn't be his fault?!?!

• Like 1

yeah I'd be going after him for damages. Just start by sending a total invoice for all damage, less payment of $200. (that 200 is important, it accepts liability, at least in part).  Also if you ask for a refund on any part of the tour such as the lift fee, do that as a separate action.  

• Like 1

Looks like he dissolved the business a few years ago & runs it on the dodge tax free... the website was www.eatmydirt.com.au

I'm surprised to here he is still going he must be as old as the hills . Twenty years ago he had a shitfull reputation plus I've never understood why anybody would pay to go riding . I'd take him to the small claims to recover payment for the damages.

He’s 76 now & still has the same reputation I’ve found...

He even tried to pull his ex cop tactics about the damages. (He was a cop when there was a lot of dirty ones)

The more I look into him the worse stuff I find... he even made a guy ride with broken bones through the Hattah desert to get his own help...

yeah I'd be going after him for damages. Just start by sending a total invoice for all damage, less payment of $200. (that 200 is important, it accepts liability, at least in part).  Also if you ask for a refund on any part of the tour such as the lift fee, do that as a separate action.  

I have started by sending him an email regarding the lift tickets to show I’m onto him, letting him know I can inform the other riders & even get their bank details to speed up the refund. He has replied by sending me an empty email reply

Did a  four day tour with him in 1998 people skills were obviously still the same but we had no dramas so did not see true colors. 

• Like 1

Probably should have done a tour with one of your forum sponsors :rolleyes:

Tone said he chatted at our lunch spot... couldn't believe what we we're hearing! 

• Like 6

I thought he'd be old as by now as well,,, infact though he sold his business years ago

I did a tour with him in 1992 I recon,, 3 day from Mt Buller

first day some fella burnt his clutch out on a dt200 ..  I remember leaving the bike there, think someone dunk the rider out. 

I offered to help get the bike about 5 pm after the days ride was over,,,  and being dunk on the back of an xr600 from Harrietville to the back of Abbeyard somewhere

The XR towed the DT with me on it back to Hville very late in the night. 

I do remember the DT had a great headlight,,  both the others on XRs were  thankful to see anything with their candle headlights.

i did have a good time though

• Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 6:54 PM, Bike nut said:

Sorry if it sounds like I'm winging.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Klaus, BikeNut.  You're giving an honest review of his service, so it doesn't sound like you're whinging. It's a significant commitment of time and money to do a tour, so I think that it's only fair to let others know if there are certain operators to avoid.  

I have done a number of rides with Australian Trail Bike Tours over the years.  Klaus did not have radio communication with the sweeps during the ride, a back up vehicle, or an EPIRB,  which was problematic if there was a breakdown or an injury. In my experience, many of the incidents were out of Klaus's control and not his fault, such as: poorly maintained bikes which were never going to make it to the end of the ride; over-enthusiastic riders crashing and hurting themselves; and really bad storms which completely derailed the ride.  While I don't think it's fair to blame Klaus for any of those events, I do believe that it is his responsibility to plan for those circumstances, and to have the appropriate support systems in place to ensure the safety of injured riders; the safe recovery of broken bikes; and a guarantee to all riders that if something unfortunate happens that the ride can still be enjoyed by everyone else, and that no one is left to fend for themselves. Those support systems are critical, because when they aren't there, everything stops for everyone on the ride when an emergency occurs. 

In terms of the dragging bikes around the car park and the lift tickets, ...I have nothing.  The only thing that goes through my head is WTF?! That kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. I hope you guys are able to get some form of compensation for the damage to your bikes.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:43 PM, Bike nut said:

...he even made a guy ride with broken bones through the Hattah desert to get his own help...

Full disclosure - this rider was TheDoc (my dad).  TheDoc was a loving the sand and enjoying himself a little too much. He ignored numerous appeals to slow-TF-down, and ended up having a huge crash.  He tore every muscle off his right humeral bone, ruptured several ligaments, and shattered his labrum and cartilage.  He should have been immediately airlifted to Melbourne, but there was no sat phone or EPIRB, so we had to tie his hand to the handlebars, and he rode for 2 hours to get back to home base.  Had there been an internal injury, he would have been in serious trouble.  We were fortunate that the damage was only musculoskeletal, so he's made a full recovery and is back on the bike.  Again, I can't blame Klaus for TheDoc's foolhardy attempt at being Toby Price, but Klaus should have had the sat phone or EPIRB to get help when we needed it - it is his responsibility.

It sounds like the kranky bugger needs to put his feet up and give the bike tours away.  Hope you get some resolution with the compensation for the damaged bikes, BikeNut.  All the best guys.

Cheers,

Rus

• Like 4

Mathematically speaking the theory:

"Kranky cop = good tour operator" and "fn (Temperament / time) = positive"

is not likely I would have thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, BearMX said:

...and "fn (Temperament / time) = positive"

LMAO! Nice work

Probably should have done a tour with one of your forum sponsors default_rolleyes.gif
Tone said he chatted at our lunch spot... couldn't believe what we we're hearing! 

Don’t worry, A few of us grabbed a card off Tone.
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 11:59 PM, MBMA said:

Probably should have done a tour with one of your forum sponsors :rolleyes:

Yep I remember meeting Tone out there. Our group was feeling pretty down after Klaus dragged the bikes down the road AND made us ride 140km of bitumen the day before. It sounds like your crew are much better with not insisting injured riders simply ride themselves out to help. Or just expect the SES or someone else to rescue them because Klaus provides no support or backup. 

We didn't realise that if your bike breaks down then Klaus just abandons it... it is completely up to us to get it going again or organise our own rescue of the bike. Quite frustrated after the trip, we posted a Klaus Mueller review

Grouse Trail Bike Tours sounds wonderful - how can I get on one? Or they booked out for years in advance??

I went on a MBMA Tour a few years ago and had a great weekend..... and they never tried to drag my bike down the road once :)

• Like 4