Rec Reg.
2 2

18 posts in this topic

G’day all!

I’m currently setting my bike up to be rec reg. and on the VicRoads site it mentions having to have a “white number plate lamp” ??

Is this actually the case or are they just creating unnecessary frustration?

Cheers in advance!

G’day all!
I’m currently setting my bike up to be rec reg. and on the VicRoads site it mentions having to have a “white number plate lamp” ??

Cheers in advance!

For the $10 on a trailer number plate light and ten minutes dicking round I just did it .
The booking fee is $50 isn’t it? Every bike I’ve rec regd I’ve made sure it ticked every box . So I’m no help am I?

For the $10 on a trailer number plate light and ten minutes dicking round I just did it .
The booking fee is $50 isn’t it? Every bike I’ve rec regd I’ve made sure it ticked every box . So I’m no help am I?

Haha hate to say it Pete but that leaves me in the same spot I started!
The problem I’ve got is that I don’t have to patience to run a full wiring loom, indicators and relay plus the crappy oversized number plate holder that the bike all comes with! Especially seeing as everyone I know just has the number plate screwed in the the rear guard or similar and no number plate light!
This is starting to give me grey hairs hahah

Is this a new thing "white number plate lamp" ?

never had one on any bike ive rec reg'd - usually they dont even look at the bike or ask you to start it up

Is this a new thing "white number plate lamp" ?
never had one on any bike ive rec reg'd - usually they dont even look at the bike or ask you to start it up

Yeah that’s the one Sabre
I called 3 different dealers this morning all said no don’t need so took a chance and waiting at VicRoads now

Probably wiring up a new light as we speak  :smile-08:

• Like 4

What an absolute headache!
So after 6394729 different answers from dealers, mechanics and stores... the answer is yes I “MUST” have a light, even though there is nothing stopping me from removing it after it’s registered.
Luckily enough a certain store have lights for $10 that simply stick on and with a bit of rewiring do the job. Saves having to add the whole bloody factory kit!
So that’s this afternoons task as tomorrow is the day of rego!
I’ll add some photos of the end result!

Cheers fellas

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheMightyBigFella said:

So after 6394729 different answers from dealers, mechanics and stores... the answer is yes I “MUST” have a light, even though there is nothing stopping me from removing it after it’s registered. emoji848.png

Bit like the mirror - as soon as you get rec reg - watch that baby fly

I just had mine inspected this morning. I had everything wired up including a cheap LED number plate light from ebay.

None of it was checked though.

I guess the question is whether you want to risk the inspection fee.

So all that piss farting around for a 10 min job, all in and works a treat! And whilst I was feeling handy I checked a new bash plate on! FIGJAM!

Haha you’re not wrong there Sabre!

Oh shit hot Double! Which branch did you go to?

5e1b2c2e8d50b1a49587228c0bba4d42.jpg
e06aed152237668dded46426805f6d10.jpg
84db28707a48c6fee8b90509a257cc44.jpg

Well done for getting it sorted BigFella. I did mine at Heatherton.

Feels good to have it done. Can't wait to go riding this weekend.

G’day all!

Cheers in advance!

Mine didn't and passed

So all that piss farting around for a 10 min job, all in and works a treat!

I did say that ....I looked at it like this - You take half a day off work, load your bike on a trailer/ back of Ute , drive to the rta , go line up , take a ticket , pay the booking fee, you would be insane to not spend extra $10 on the light and 10 minutes pulling off the seat and jamming it in the tail light connectors to keep them happy - just in case .

Glad you got it sorted ....

I did say that ....I looked at it like this - You take half a day off work, load your bike on a trailer/ back of Ute , drive to the rta , go line up , take a ticket , pay the booking fee, you would be insane to not spend extra $10 on the light and 10 minutes pulling off the seat and jamming it in the tail light connectors to keep them happy - just in case .
Glad you got it sorted ....

Haha that you did Pete, and that’s why it’s on there now, cheers champion!
  • Like 1

I set my yz 2 stroke up last year for rec reg. Had everything working after stuffing around and trying to get different globes working for the headlight. Finially had it all ready to go ,even the licence plate light even though i was putting it on the back guard after it passed. 

The night before the big appointment i started it up to check everything was still working (only works when its going) the # plate light wasnt working . I couldnt get it working . I figured after reading online id try my luck and hopefully get someone that wouldn't really go over it by the book.

Loaded it up after leaving work early, i parked out the back and went in, talked to someone that didnt really know anything about rec rego. They said go out the back and I'll be out in a minute. I was waiting near the bike on the trailor when they come out with a folder and torch  lol

They got me to unload it and fire it up as they checked everything and ticked it off. After id turned it off and thought I'd passed they said " oh i just need to check the licence plate light to" . I told them i had to fire it back up because nothing works unless its going ..okgreat im thinking ive just wasted 50 bucks and a few hrs stuffing around . i fired it up and they had to get down low near the guard and muffler to try see it because of the angle  ..... right next to the exhaust that was giving off some nice 2 stroke smoke. They tried to see it but gave up and said that will be fine after getting a few lungs full of smoke lol... 

I was rapted. Had a smile ear to ear as i walked out with my new rec reg plate.

1 hour ago, RayYZ250 said:

I set my yz 2 stroke up last year for rec reg. Had everything working after stuffing around and trying to get different globes working for the headlight. Finially had it all ready to go ,even the licence plate light even though i was putting it on the back guard after it passed. 

The night before the big appointment i started it up to check everything was still working (only works when its going) the # plate light wasnt working . I couldnt get it working . I figured after reading online id try my luck and hopefully get someone that wouldn't really go over it by the book.

Loaded it up after leaving work early, i parked out the back and went in, talked to someone that didnt really know anything about rec rego. They said go out the back and I'll be out in a minute. I was waiting near the bike on the trailor when they come out with a folder and torch  lol

They got me to unload it and fire it up as they checked everything and ticked it off. After id turned it off and thought I'd passed they said " oh i just need to check the licence plate light to" . I told them i had to fire it back up because nothing works unless its going ..okgreat im thinking ive just wasted 50 bucks and a few hrs stuffing around . i fired it up and they had to get down low near the guard and muffler to try see it because of the angle  ..... right next to the exhaust that was giving off some nice 2 stroke smoke. They tried to see it but gave up and said that will be fine after getting a few lungs full of smoke lol... 

I was rapted. Had a smile ear to ear as i walked out with my new rec reg plate.

Only to be nabbed by the coppers next time youre out in the bush  :D