1 1
rwcfrank

Modifying roadworthy bikes

Hoping to tap into the greater knowledge of this group since the Vic roads website is crap. Can you modify a bike, say an older XT600 for example and add different forks wheels and brakes? Will it pass a roadworthy after it's been modified? I understand it needs to be in good nic and have ADR compliant lighting, reflectors etc but I can't find anything on making changes to the frame running gear etc? Looking to start a project but need to know the rules first. Cheers

• Like 1

Hoping to tap into the greater knowledge of this group since the Vic roads website is crap. Can you modify a bike, say an older XT600 for example and add different forks wheels and brakes? Will it pass a roadworthy after it's been modified? I understand it needs to be in good nic and have ADR compliant lighting, reflectors etc but I can't find anything on making changes to the frame running gear etc? Looking to start a project but need to know the rules first. Cheers

If u modify any vehicle from manufacture specs. It will require a engineers cert.
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rednutz said:

If u modify any vehicle from manufacture specs. It will require a engineers cert.

What he said Frank

• Like 1

What he said Frank

I do Rwc on trucks,cars and motorcycles. Vicroads are the heaviest Rwc state in Australia. And make it hard compared to other states. SA is slack atm. Only mater of time they catch up.
  • Like 1

Any major modification to frame, brakes yes will require an engineers certificate. We live in a nanny state where such mods normally get shelved because of bureacracy, although in saying this I have seen vehicles modified being used on roads that are outright dangerous, without following the rules you run the risk of getting an unroadworthy rendering the vehicle useless. The boys in the States and the Kiwis make me very jealous at times. You could go and speak to the person you intend doing the roadworthy and ask what they will let you get away with  but be warned they may change there mind on seeing mods!!!

• Like 2

Not the answer I was hoping hear to hear but the one I expected. I guess I there's always push bikes

So I guess putting an RD350 2 stroke motor in a Honda CBX250 is a no no? Hell, I got away with it in California.c38222e306712ec7b7c94b6a4feaa310.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dazzrmx said:

Any major modification to frame, brakes yes will require an engineers certificate. We live in a nanny state where such mods normally get shelved because of bureacracy, although in saying this I have seen vehicles modified being used on roads that are outright dangerous, without following the rules you run the risk of getting an unroadworthy rendering the vehicle useless. The boys in the States and the Kiwis make me very jealous at times. You could go and speak to the person you intend doing the roadworthy and ask what they will let you get away with  but be warned they may change there mind on seeing mods!!!

I noticed a HD with handlebars that high the rider was @ full stretch, how can this be Road Worthy ?!

• Like 1

I noticed a HD with handlebars that high the rider was @ full stretch, how can this be Road Worthy ?!

I guess what you do is mod the bike and never sell it hence no need for a rwc. Pretty much negates the value to about nothing.

RD350 cool, have ideas myself, XT660, scrambler wheels and 1974 DT250 tank. Retro Yamaha. I not a bike builder the problem. Note seeing the 350 prompted me to post.