5 5
walkahz

1976 YZ 80C Resto

It was like a very expensive christmas yesterday.

Tracked down a few of the hard to get parts as well as an order from dcvmx and got it all sent to my US freight forwarder. All new cables, sprockets, engine bolts, gaskets, tank stickers, rear guard along with some other goodies. 20180528_165513.thumb.jpg.76bf8777553a48a050447d67a45399d0.jpg

Does anyone know why postage from the US is so damn dear? The package was 4kg and cost $120Aus  ive brought similar sized things from uk bike shops and it would be lucky to be $40!!!

It was like a very expensive christmas yesterday.
Tracked down a few of the hard to get parts as well as an order from dcvmx and got it all sent to my US freight forwarder. All new cables, sprockets, engine bolts, gaskets, tank stickers, rear guard along with some other goodies. 20180528_165513.thumb.jpg.76bf8777553a48a050447d67a45399d0.jpg
Does anyone know why postage from the US is so damn dear? The package was 4kg and cost $120Aus  ive brought similar sized things from uk bike shops and it would be lucky to be $40!!!

Airfreight is quicker = more costly
Seafreight the opposite

Not much shed time lately with a 2 month old that is being difficult but managed to sneak out for a few hours yesterday.

got the bottom end of the motor back together with new seals.

20180624_105748.thumb.jpg.cda8fcef4a22ee20648338c1467172b3.jpg

Some of the plastics and other bits have also been refitted.20180624_113251.thumb.jpg.5766f3410826063986074cd9ef700df7.jpg

Will be limited progress for a while as I need to extend the shed, need to make some more room for the 125 and 465 in there. Not enough floor space in 5x3!

• Like 2

Haven't checked your progress in a while but definitely lookin good!

Did you do anything with the shocks?

I feel your frustration on the phillips heads. Typical pre 85 Jap bikes (my 07 DRZ still uses them!). It's rare for them to unscrew using a phillips head as they're so soft. I usually chew 50% of them (and that's using an impact driver). I now don't bother trying and just drill them all in one hit and use an easy out; it's amazing how little torque you need with a spanner on an easy out when they were impossible with a screw driver or impact driver.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BearMX said:

Haven't checked your progress in a while but definitely lookin good!

Did you do anything with the shocks?

I feel your frustration on the phillips heads. Typical pre 85 Jap bikes (my 07 DRZ still uses them!). It's rare for them to unscrew using a phillips head as they're so soft. I usually chew 50% of them (and that's using an impact driver). I now don't bother trying and just drill them all in one hit and use an easy out; it's amazing how little torque you need with a spanner on an easy out when they were impossible with a screw driver or impact driver.

No progress with the shocks yet, just cleaned the dirt off and sat them on there to hold the swingarm in place. Will workout what to do with them later, most likely paint to begin with then buy some OEM looking china jobbies or there is a Mob in Adelaide that looks ok (YSS), not going to be ridden on the dirt so anything will do.

I managed to find a bolt kit for the engine that replaces all the JIS Screws with stainless socket heads. $30 well spent and I dont have to measure every bolt length then go to the shop!

I've got no experience on pre mid 80's shocks but if the shocks are steel bodies, unpressurised and aren't leaking and you know you can get the Chinese shocks you can always do an old fashioned fresh oil change and see if it works out - drill, drain, re-weld hole (or weld on a nut for a plug if there's room). Old shocks are pretty primitive inside and didn't have the air / oil separation systems of newer types. I think people like Pedders used to reco car shocks (back in the days when people knew how to reco things). Not sure how they did them but I reckon it was likely they got the bottoms off them (turned the weld down or cut the ends off if they were rolled) freshened up the internals (not much there as they were basic damper hole design) and then rewelded the bottoms back on.