Bike Suspension

TRAILZ

As I'm getting a lil better with my riding I've noticed the rear on my 250 excf has been bottoming out.

IE the rear tyre guard is worn cut thru and the inside of my muffler has tyre marks on it.

Is there anyway that i can avoid this? Apart from riding flat surfaces lol

Tips welcome

TrailZ

If your suspension has already been set for your weight you now need to start increasing your compression dampening as you are riding harder, initially perhaps go 2 clicks and see how it feels and if still too soft go 1 click at a time. Visually keep an eye on the shock shaft, if you get to the point where the shaft stays dirty for the last 5mm of travel even after big hits you have gone too stiff on the compression dampening and need to backed it off.  

Bikes are ok to bottom out every now and then on big hits and when jumping off drop offs. As long as it is not bottoming out hard it should be ok. If choice did your suspension then your springrates should be ok. Just remember for each 10kgs over 85kgs(geared up with backpack) you need to go up one springrate on the front and rear for the average trailrider and pace or your wasting your time.
If the tyre is rubbing on the your muffler the mount,muffler tag or subframe is slightly bent from a crash or your swingarm bearings have excess play in them. Could be a combo of a few things or one. Just give it a good check over as it shouldn't be able to hit.
I recommend to drop the shock out (10 mins) and move the wheel up and down by hand while on a stand to check. A slight mudscrape is ok.

• Like 2

are you actually bottoming out or just using 90% of travel with a big tyre?  bottoming out will feel like a bit of a thud.  is it after a jump or hitting square edge bumps at speed?

If its air time you are chasing, you will need heavier springs, if you are smashing through chop maybe find smoother lines?  If you get the setup made stiffer, you might lose compliance and comfort the 98% of the time you are not bottoming out.

• Like 1

are you actually bottoming out or just using 90% of travel with a big tyre?  bottoming out will feel like a bit of a thud.  is it after a jump or hitting square edge bumps at speed?
If its air time you are chasing, you will need heavier springs, if you are smashing through chop maybe find smoother lines?  If you get the setup made stiffer, you might lose compliance and comfort the 98% of the time you are not bottoming out.

I can't feel it completely bottoming out but can see that the muffler has tyre marks on it
I'm guessing that the tyre is not aligned correctly maybe within 2 -3mm causing the rear tyre to scrape the muffler. Or the muffler needs to be aligned...
I’ve found Gilesy from Choice is awesome, if you haven’t already, maybe a quick phone call might save a lot of hassle .

Thanks Scott gonna see em Thursday