1 1
DoubleVee

Another newbie from Melbourne

Hi all,

After giving up my dirt bikes 25 odd years ago, I've now come full circle and bought myself a CRF250X.

I'm in the middle of a head rebuild at the moment, but once I'm done I'll be looking to do some trail riding around Victoria.

I could use some input into whether I should get full rego or just rec rego. Is the extra money worthwhile?

Also I'm interested to know whether there are any recommendations for getting parts and doing work on the CRFs. around the south eastern part of Melbourne.

Looking forward to meeting you out there on the trails.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard DoubleVee! Great to hear that you're inspired to get back on the bike after 25 years.

My bike had full registration, but I realized that I didn't need it because I don't ride on the road at all, and I don't ride interstate. If you think that you'll be doing a high amount of road and/or interstate riding then it might be best to go for full registration, otherwise, rec reg should be fine.

Sorry I can't help with any advise about parts or doing work on the CRF - I am technically "challenged" in that regard:wacko: The other DirtriderZ guys and gals will be able to point you in the right direction.  

Hope you enjoy the forum DoubleVee. Catch you out on the trails some time, mate!

• Like 2

Welcome double vee , rec reg is all you need so many many places to ride around vic , for parts & service you cannot beat scottys in Ringwood. I realise it's in eastern suburbs but very good on price and good advice .

• Like 1

Welcome mate. The 250x is a great bike with ample power and is very capable. Showa suspension is great and the bike is reliable and easy to get parts for. Valves were an issue and needed regular attention but your bike should be fixed by now with better aftermarket valves.
Rec reg is ok for most posted forum rides but if doing pub or high country rides full reg is the go as you will be riding into and through towns.
Start with a level 2 ride found in the organised rides section to get a feel for your riding level. It will be more fun for you and others.
Level 3 and 4 are big steps so take your time and get some ride fitness under your belt.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

I can't wait to get going.

Still undecided on the rego. I think I might get started on rec reg and only upgrade if it's limiting my options.

I commute by road bike, so it would be nice to have another registered bike just in case.

We'll see...it might depend on how complete my box of ADR parts is.

I had mine rec reg, then i wanted to go out on it to work on the odd occasion or ride to the servo etc so decided full reg was worth it just to have that option. Is it worth the extra rego costs? Ill decide when its renewal time

250 full rego is cheaper also at $505 compared to larger bikes which is good value.
Full rego is handy for heating up the seperate gearbox oil on the hondas with a ride around the street when you're doing oil changes.
It was below $500 but they put it up.

Well, it's no surprise from what I've been reading about CRF valves, but I think it should run better with some new ones......!

IMG_20180214_221311.jpg.6365b03b96f43b5eab98c568eb586157.jpg