2 2
maccastrewth

New member from Melbourne

Hello all!

New member here from Melbourne.  I've been out of the dirt bike game since I was 17 years old when I used to race/trail ride.  Been riding street bikes ever since but always longed to have my motocross bike back.  Now I'm 34, got myself into shape and have made a purchase that I'm very happy with.  I've just bought a 2008 CRF450R.  

Have been stripping her down for the past week, finding parts that need replacing/maintenance and plan to put in a couple of solid months of restoring before I make it out for a ride.  Call me crazy but I missed the maintenance side of things quite a bit while riding street bikes.  The bike I've purchased already has rec rego so I can't wait to join some rides in the next few months.  I'm looking to join some level 1 rides to gauge my ability and go from there.  Have had some broken bones and injuries since I was young so I don't plan on thinking I can ride like I used to.

What a fantastic forum so far... Been lurking around and enjoying what I've found.

• Like 7

I wonder if anyone could give me some input on this...

Could anyone recommend a spot that I could navigate to in order to test ride my bike.  I am not looking get lost in trails or be out all day.  I simply want to know if there's an area I can take my bike for a test ride.  Closest area to me is Kinglake west.  I want to just rock up, unload the bike and test her under a few different conditions.  Would you recommend going to somewhere like Kinglake west, or heading to an MX club instead?  Bike has current rec reg (without mirror fitted).

If there is a trail area you could recommend, could you perhaps also indicate where I should park the car.

I have not ridden off road in Victoria therefor I'm not sure where to start.  

Thank you

Macca. In kinglake take extons road until it becomes dirt. Go another half k or so and there is an unloading area on right hand side. Plenty of tracks right there. Should also be licensed to ride there however.

• Thanks 1

Macca have a look at the ride grading videos and then post up a ride at your chosen location looking for a lead . You will have the best day you've had in 20 years ! Welcome to the forum . You've done the best thing possible to improve your riding experience by joining Dirtriderz! Jump on a ride or just create one! Cheers Pete

Macca im in the same position as yourself, from Melbourne with an untested bike looking to get out on the dirt and find my feet.
I’m free Sunday and Wednesdays usually if you’d like some company?

21 hours ago, PeteV said:

Macca have a look at the ride grading videos and then post up a ride at your chosen location looking for a lead . You will have the best day you've had in 20 years ! Welcome to the forum . You've done the best thing possible to improve your riding experience by joining Dirtriderz! Jump on a ride or just create one! Cheers Pete

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the advice.  I went out to Kinglake on the weekend and was able to have a little ride.  Found a few things that need repair and I should be good to have a proper ride next weekend.  I'll look at posting up a ride.  Kinda keen to jump on/create a level 1 to begin with and go from there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim743 said:

Macca im in the same position as yourself, from Melbourne with an untested bike looking to get out on the dirt and find my feet.
I’m free Sunday and Wednesdays usually if you’d like some company?

Hi Jim.

Going to send you a PM.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I'm still waiting for my piston and valves to arrive from the US, otherwise I would have been keen to join also.

On 02/03/2018 at 3:56 PM, DoubleVee said:

Hey guys,

I'm still waiting for my piston and valves to arrive from the US, otherwise I would have been keen to join also.

We're a few weeks out from organising something.  I'll keep you in the loop/post up the planned ride when we sort something out.  How long till your parts arrive?

• Like 1

Fingers crossed they will arrive this week. Probably need minimum 2 weeks to get it all buttoned up and rec rego done.

I can't do midweek, but I should be able to get a leave pass on Sundays.

1 hour ago, DoubleVee said:

Hi Macca, I was looking into the idea of heading to Toolangi and came across this. 

Thought you might be interested.

Trail Bike Riding – Toolangi and Black Range State Forest

DoubleVee,

I did actually come across that before heading out the other day.  The fire trails seemed very well marked and open and easy to navigate.  Had a good hours ride without getting too deep as I was on my own.  Felt great to have a rip around on the bike and get a feel for how she handles.

I've definitely be keen to complete the signposted loops on that map with a riding buddy or more! 

I got my engine back together last night after a looong wait for my piston to arrive.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to get her fired up tonight and then I just need to get the rego sorted out.

I can't wait to get out there.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:24 AM, DoubleVee said:

I got my engine back together last night after a looong wait for my piston to arrive.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to get her fired up tonight and then I just need to get the rego sorted out.

I can't wait to get out there.

Hi mate!  Great news about the bike.  Did you manage to kick her over?

Jim743 and I went for a ride to Toolangi yesterday.  Was absolutely great.  Got a little lost on a couple of the trails.. Had to descend what I'd imagine to be a level 3 hill, had a few minor falls, got the feel of our bikes and generally had a rad time.

Let us know when your rego is sorted and we'll see if we can put something together and perhaps post it on the Organise Rides page.

All the best!

Cheers mate. Sounds like you're having a blast. 

It's alive. Running a bit rough at idle, but hoping that's just a matter of dirty pilot jet or mixture screw adjustment.

Booked in for the 4th for rec reg inspection, so should be in action after that.

I needed to go through the carb and give it a good clean, but it's running well now.

It seemed like a good idea to head to the MX track for a first test. First time on a track in 30 years came as a bit of a shock. 

Anyway the bike and I both survived, so rec reg next week and then I'll be looking for some trails to get started on.