Dakar 2018
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I haven't seen it discussed yet as I've been pretty busy in holiday mode but its that awesome time of year.............DAKAR

Toby started easy and finished the first day (a short day) in 14. He moved upto 10th on the second day which  was the first full day of navigation. On day 3 he was leading the day by WP4 but Quintanilla is setting a cracking pace and blowing everyone away. As Toby sits at WP7, overall he is now sitting 5th in the Dakar about 6 minutes behind Quintanilla which is great with a long race ahead. I hope the great man can get to the finish with what he went through last year.  Other Aussies in the race are Rod Faggoter, sitting 22nd and Scott Britnell in 99th
Tracking can be followed on this link    https://gaps.dakar.com/2018/dakar/aso/ukie

• Like 2

Not sure what is going on with that penalty.

Apparently it was applied at the end of the stage then removed. Now some news pages are saying its back on??? not sure what for?

• Like 1

Not sure what is going on with that penalty.
Apparently it was applied at the end of the stage then removed. Now some news pages are saying its back on??? not sure what for?

Penalty was not enforced.

Tough day today in the dunes. Sunderland out of dakar and airlifted with a back injury and Cyril Depres hit a rock car looked like there done.
Awesome job by yamaha and Van Beveren to take the overall lead,his looking great on the bike.
  • Like 2

Wow, the bikes category is changing hugely every day. Barreda Bort had dominated the day with second place walkner about 9 mins back. Toby was 6th 12 minutes and Quintanilla was 25 mins back in 15th75573e634b52797ba455a8b3d11e7445.jpg

• Like 1

Great to see J.Aubert in the top ten and A.Meo in third. Both awesome riders and Meo having the experience from the 2016 Dakar will keep them honest up the front. So many terrific riders so it's getting exciting with many riders that could win this.  Each rider has almost lost time from navigational errors, so it's pretty tough out in those massive soft dunes.

• Like 1

On stage 6 they cancelled half of the special stage (not sure why). Toby was leading at one point but ended up 3rd on the day and has moved up to 5th overall and getting some time back981ac877b061db4ce4c30604281f2c39.jpgac475814ae63a76a2af851d6117c41b8.jpg

• Like 2

Rest day tomorrow. Very well deserved guys and girls,it's been a tough one so far in those dunes.
Now there at high altitude,staying at 3500mtrs and riding up to 4500mtrs with snow,lol.

Its a very interesting year for both cars and bikes. Im enjoying the coverage (and carnage).    I’m hoping Toby Price finishes well or even wins the bikes but I think the French Yamaha’s look the business and will take it.  

After Toby finished 4th on stage 7, we had to stage 8 and at WP4/CP2 Meo is flying tough Toby coming 2nd by 40 seconds. A big 500km stage so plenty of riding ahead of them yet. From what I can tell Toby has caught Benavides who started 3 minutes ahead of him and Van Beveren who started 6 minutes ahead and they are opening the road now as Barreda has lost 10 mins and might be suffering from a knee injury.

74785da68715431774866074d8e74777.jpg

• Like 1

Another great stage for Toby getting time back on his opponents. Looks like he rode most of the stage with the 3 riders that started in front of him. Meo gets another win
1669640b9cc0077e9e793655085be121.jpgd04da3d225bc1f3eef58b2a132e9aa14.jpg

• Like 1

Meo is riding very well,he's a champ. Brabec is a great and fast open desert style rider so no surprise of him being up there once the terrain opens up a bit.  Barreda must be a tough bugger to ride that far and at that pace with that stuffed knee,wow,respect.

Toby is well in contention and just where he would like to be, going just to plan.  :drz(77):

• Like 1

Massive things happening in stage 10. Van Beveren crashed badly with 3km to go and all the main players were lost. Toby lost at least 50 mins, only Walkner finished so far.
11d1689df5065035b2c80ac844768ca5.jpg826ff1319e39826a7f522967b826533a.jpg5271388b448266502363b2304b2fc222.jpg

• Sad 1

Big high speed crash by AVBeveren .  It was a big one and he might be out of the dakar by the look of it,he wasn't moving.  Bike and him tumbling a fair distance,wow, such a shame,he was killing it.   Really bad luck for him and all the yamaha lovers out there.  :(

Great news, Toby gets his first stage win for this edition of Dakar! He also made up 11 minutes to a cautious Walkner. Barreda has retired from the race and with his state win, Toby had moved up to third outrightaa693b74e81c46e56210e1f943fb0208.jpgba15e9ac771dcbf5512ed4d1d3be6b7e.jpg

• Like 1

Pity Barreda stacked and hurt his knee a few days ago. Such a great rider to watch,one of the best.
He must be a tough bugger to keep going as long as he did, as he rooted his knee big time.
Toby has decided to pull the throttle stop out after yesterdays navigational. stuffup.
11 mins made up is a great effort. Keep it on 2 wheels Toby and 2nd or 3rd will be a remarkable effort and some luck may see a win. It is dakar and anything does and can happen.

Yep Barreda and Sunderland both I thought showed great body english on there bikes, a joy to watch. Toby's riding has matured and I think barring mishap he is an excellent chance at taking this years Dakar out, has left lots up his sleeve and just needs to stay in touch for a late sprint. 

And now i've heard tomorrows stage is cancelled too due to weather. 

Walkner must be relieved as that doesn't leave much competitive running left to reduce that 30min Gap.

I think Toby would have to be pretty happy with a podium after last years Disaster!

• Like 2

Yep,tomorrow cancelled. Less time for Price to catch up,bummer.
Looks more and more like ktm is going to get an another ktm and an Austrian rider onboard over the line first.

Another stage win for Toby Price on stage 13. In an interview he said he taking it easy (obviously trying to manage his injuries) in the first week but now it's in full on attack mode. Benivedes kept a similar pace and only lost 2 minutes. Walkner riding really conservative losing 11 minutes. Tomorrow is the final stage after yesterdays stage was cancelled for the bikes due to safety reasons (couldn't fly helicopters or something). Not a long stage tomorrow so not a lot of chances for position changes but it is DAKAR. The easiest race to lose. Good luck Tobyfcb7ef69ebfa1c648d908adda4dc224e.jpgddb791d11f4b7b0232ba53b5a2105bc1.jpg

• Like 1

When I was watching tonight’s coverage I thought it looked like a Finke stage. So I wasn’t surprised to see Toby Price riding well and to a stage win. Good job.  If he rides well tomorrow it means a well deserved Podium finish.   Yes, Cluffie, I was going for Yamaha’s likeable and very capable sand rider Van Beveren. Such a shame he broke his collar bone in that big fall. That’s the Dakar!    Tomorrow nights final stage will be good. 

• Like 2