SUICIDE AWARENESS
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I was going to post this up in the depression thread.

But figured its worth its own thread, due to the importance and the realness of this topic.

I have noticed a lot of posts on various levels of social media in the last few weeks regarding suicide. Even read the stats of male suicides per week, and the figures were staggering and sad.

Similar advice below that was given in the depression thread, but if you have a mate, you suspect might be a bit down, or going through a tough patch, reach out, give them a call, take them out for a feed or a beer.....

This time of the year also, leading up the Christmas, can be a hard time of the year for many, missing a loved one that is no longer with us, etc etc etc...

Be there for your mates, brothers, sisters, family!!!!!

Below is the suicide hotline phone number,

Below is the link to lilfeline,

https://www.lifeline.org.au/

Cheers

• Like 9

Make sure your teenagers are travelling okay!!! Many of them struggle with this part of life, this time of year can be hard for them to cope.

• Like 3

Good post Geoffro and Hoff. A lifetime family friends daughter ( teen) tried to hurt herself just a few months ago after copping a cavalcade of online abuse from a crappy ex boyfriend. Online abuse is a horrific thing and often onlookers are too frightened to say anything for fear they may become the hunted. Sadly this silence works as fuel on the fire and has people questioning themselves and their self worth.
If you see it happening and you don't have the courage to speak up in arena - send the person a message and say yeah that was wrong - at least then they know they aren't completely crazy. Something is better than nothing!

• Like 4

Excellent topic mate and one we should all be aware of.

Truthfully I had paid little attention to this until a very dear friends son - Who I had looked after as a little boy and in many ways treated as my own son took his life three months ago at just 23. 

I will never ever not act when someone tells me they are struggling again.

8 people a day take their own lives in Australia. Over 3,000 a year.  - Just let that sink in for a moment... 

The government has a policy of not reporting suicide as there can be an effect that makes others more likely to follow suit once they hear others have done it so it is often hidden and not discussed until it is too late.  

Joel's death has made me question lots of things and my heart goes out to any other family who has experienced loss from suicide. 

If you are in this place remember you are not alone, many don't care but many more do. 

• Like 3