Help needed WR 450 starting problem

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Went on a ride today and after pulling up and stopping the engine for about 5 minutes, I could not start the bike again with the e start or kick start. E start sounded like it was just spinning the starter and not engaging and the kick start would not budge. Roll started the bike and rode back to the cars. 

Tried the E start again and it still wouldn't start but I could now engage the kick start, but it felt like it was never going to start.

Before pulling the starter apart and scratching my head, anyone heard of this happening and if so have a fix?

Happens to most WR's that I know. Get's stuck in a certain spot. You roll it forward and whammo it starts.

But sounds like your battery is on the way out if it's just spinning. Put new spark plug in before you start pulling stuff apart and see how that goes.

• Like 1

By what I heard when this happened, I would start with the battery. Check the battery voltage, while stationary, then when it is cranking over. I expect it is getting too low to engage the starter.

• Like 1

It's a known nuance with the wr450 mine used to do it on ocassions .

I googled it about a month after buying mine and found the good news. There's nothing wrong with your bike!

When your valve clearances are out it seems to do it more . It's not actually true it just that you spend more time on the button trying to start it and this ends up with more situations with the engine "locked" on a compression stroke . All you do when it occurs is put it in gear. Roll back and forth till it's off the compression stroke and then kick it or button it .

When it's on a conpression stroke the starter does not have enough torque to turn it over from a engine stationary start nor does your foot! Google it it's been spoken about quite a bit .

I did 2500 k on my wr450. It's a non issue when your valve clearances are correct as it happens so rarely .

Pete, I agree about the compression lock up. But in this case the starter motor just free wheeled. It did not engage the motor. I expect there is some sort of bendix to engage the drive, this just did not happen.

This would generally indicate low battery output to the starter motor?

The compression lock was only evident when he tried to kick start.

I can't recall exactly but Im pretty sure there is a torque limiting ratchet in the starter drive to prevent the armature being held stationary and drawing lots of current. This would no doubt burn out the starter motor very quickly if there wasn't .

It's a centrifugal clutch that drives a chain or gear it's definitely not a traditional type bendix .

Well put a new battery in and still got the same response from the starter motor. 

Its due for someone with more knowledge than me to do some work on it, so into the workshop it goes.

Being non mechanically minded, my understanding of the problem is the stator bolts sheared off and decided to bounce around the flywheel and starter clutch gear. 

Mechanic said I may get away with just a new stator so thats where we are starting.