Beta 300 leaking coolant

18 posts in this topic

Hi I'm after advice I've got a 17 beta 300rr after riding i seem to leak coolant on my garage floor , I've tightened up the clamps its tiny drips I don't know how it can be leaking as bikes only done 500 km no cracks in radiator , I was thinking maybe the radiator has to much pressure after riding and not releasing , or maybe a bad seal somewhere has anyone else experienced this 

thanks Gary 

I’m pretty sure it’s the cheap Beta clamps on the hoses have to be changed common problem, some guys have nearly seized there engine because of the Beta Radiater clamps are crap.

• Like 1

had the same problem. Replace all the crimp clamps with good hose clamps. Try that first but you should be fine. There's a couple hidden underneath as well, make sure you get them. Take the tank off and you'll see them all.

49 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

I pretty sure it’s the cheap Beta clamps on the hoses have to be changed common problem, some guys have nearly seized there engine because of the Beta Radiater clamps are crap.

yeah it's the crimp clamps they use, their hose clamps are ok. They are absolute rubbish. A 2 dollar part ruined a perfectly good day for me. 

yeah it's the crimp clamps they use, their hose clamps are ok. They are absolute rubbish. A 2 dollar part ruined a perfectly good day for me. 

A cheap part on a Beta I don’t believe it (cough cough)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

A cheap part on a Beta I don’t believe it (cough cough) emoji12.png

I know right, hard to believe that the markets best bike could use such a cheap clamp. Could be worse I guess, Beta could have used a KTM starter :D

• Haha 2

I know right, hard to believe that the markets best bike could use such a cheap clamp. Could be worse I guess, Beta could could have used a KTM starter default_biggrin.png

Markets best farm bike you mean, no problem with the new KTM design starters, and on that note KTM get to keep there kick start and still weigh 5kgs lighter🤙
  • Like 3

Hi bud your problem will be the crimp clamps as mentioned above. They are on the thermostat mainly as not a lot of room where its located.

Remove them and replace with proper ones and all good. I did mine as soon as I got the bike home from Raceline.

Love the subtle ribbing between brands above...ha ha

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Markets best farm bike you meanemoji67.pngemoji264.png, no problem with the new KTM design starters, and on that note KTM get to keep there kick start and still weigh 5kgs lighteremoji108.png

Weigh 5 kg less and feel 10 kg heavier. I guess a kick start is a good idea though given their history, you can never have too many starters. I hear they're working with Masport to develop a pull start just to be extra sure lol

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, wayward1 said:

Weigh 5 kg less and feel 10 kg heavier. I guess a kick start is a good idea though given their history, you can never have too many starters. I hear they're working with Masport to develop a pull start just to be extra sure lol

image.jpeg

Funny stuff, I will leave it to you and Mick to stir it up. But it doesn't matter what you ride, its about getting out there and mixing it up with ya mates, that's what its all about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katoman said:

Funny stuff, I will leave it to you and Mick to stir it up. But it doesn't matter what you ride, its about getting out there and mixing it up with ya mates, that's what its all about.

that's right, it's all a bit of fun. Fact is both are pretty good bikes. I'm off for the night too so I'll let him have the last word ;)

• Like 1

image.jpeg.f65a30c2cb29877e5a0b233b43735cda.jpeg

10kg heavier you obviously haven’t ridden a new one. Work them paddocks
  • Like 1

that's right, it's all a bit of fun. Fact is both are pretty good bikes. I'm off for the night too so I'll let him have the last word

Thats it mate just having a little bit of a play good to see your got a good sense of humour

does that mean KTM have started using better quality clamps then Gypsy??

I had a coolant leak at the bottom of "Widow maker" at Dissa when my '14 was still fairly new - clamp had cracked clean through - then heard several stories of it being common so every clamp on the bike got replaced..... (wasnt one of the crimp style clamps either, was one of the "proper" ones!)

does that mean KTM have started using better quality clamps then Gypsy??
I had a coolant leak at the bottom of "Widow maker" at Dissa when my '14 was still fairly new - clamp had cracked clean through - then heard several stories of it being common so every clamp on the bike got replaced..... (wasnt one of the crimp style clamps either, was one of the "proper" ones!)

That’s the first iv heard

been a few years - hopefully they have rectified it now... pretty sure Cluffie was one of the people on the ride who recommended I replace them all!

Thanks alot for everyone's input I'll have a go at replacing the clamps during the week 

Hi I'm going to attempt to fix the radiator clamps on my beta is there a certain hose clamp I should buy 

as I don't want the problem happening again

Thanks Gary