Bruised / Fractured Ribs
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Had a decent off on the GF Public Holiday.

Long story short, got checked out and they said badly bruised and fair chance fractured ribs..

I have had some painful injuries in the past, but gotta say, ribs suck big time!

Anyone else on here ever injured their ribs?  How long did it give you grief for ?

• Sad 2

Yep.... they suck & there's nothing you can do. Try not to cough, sneeze, fart or laugh... it really hurts, about 3 or 4 weeks.

I did my tail bone on Sunday & it's very similar but you can't sit down.

Get well soon!

• Like 3

Took me 4 weeks before I noticed an improvement.

I re fractured mine a couple of weeks after i originslly did them on the bike ,in bed one night. Was a freaky thing hearing the click of it go. Ended up in hospital with fluid on the lungs.

Make sure you take the pain killers. You have to take proper breaths.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Geoffyboy said:

I re fractured mine a couple of weeks after i originslly did them on the bike ,in bed one night.

not even going to ask......

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Fractured 6 ribs a bit over 3 weeks ago now. Felt like broken glass when rolling over in bed..lol
Did collarbone at the same time, just got a hook plate put in yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yep, did 2 ribs a few years ago, slept up right for around 2-3 weeks in a recliner!!

You'll be on some decent painkillers (targin is good) and use laxatives straight a way to avoid painkiller constipation and as you'll soon know, farting and going to the bogger is an effort in itself with busted ribs so being blocked up is as painful as the ribs.....also start stretching like raising your arms (at least slowly)

• Like 4

Yeah can't be good, a mate of mine hit a tree water skiing many years back. Broken rib and fractures we were mongrels back then, had to make sure he laughed and we made sure he was a bit jumpy (bastards).:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I bought the first DT200R in NZ back in 88, was flying down a favourite track next to the beach and went over the bars and landed on top of the next whoop and bike forcefully landed into my back,I picked it up and rode home.I tried to tough it out and not tell the mrs and laid on the couch for a few hours,didn't have any tea and went to bed in a lot of pain.When I got up at about midnight for a pee it was like pure blood so I gave in and asked the mrs to drive me two our local country hospital.They had a quick look and put me in the ambulance for a two hour trip to Christchurch,I had broken 3 ribs,lacerated my kidney and had other internal bleeding(had started coughing up some blood earlier).Ive got to say the ribs were painful(I took a week of work at the sawmill) but the pain that hurt like nothing else was trying to pass the dried blood through the system,that bought a tear to the eye!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

yeah I've done a couple, they're fine provided you don't laugh, sneeze, move or breath. Otherwise all good!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I did a few ribs last year but I'd also broke my thumb and tore a rotator cuff and hit my hip so hard I was off work for two months . The ribs were just an added hardship of the pain of trying to move without moving the wrong way and getting the massive electric shocks right through the body that would make me tremble - the body telling you not to move at all. Slept on my back for the first month as one side was injured and when on the other it put pressure on the ribs which hurt like hell. Give them a good month and the will be much better. As said prior laughing and coughing hurts lots. To be doing a physical demanding job with fractured ribs would be very hard to do in the first three weeks.

• Like 3

yeah I've done a couple, they're fine provided you don't laugh, sneeze, move or breath. Otherwise all good!
Haha, that pretty much sums it up. I find it takes about 8 weeks for the pain to completely go away.
  • Like 2

Yep, did my ribs on both sides in an off at last years Kenda. Then got sick with a cold followed by a chest infection a week later. Sneezing and deep rooted coughing with fractured ribs is not pleasant at all, took me 6 weeks to get over that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Geoffyboy said:

Make sure you take the pain killers. You have to take proper breaths.

This is REALLY important. You do not want to end up with pneumonia with broken ribs.

• Like 5

Yep they suck big time three broken and 12 fractures and six months off work, they said i was lucky not to puncture a lung. they still give me pain a few years downs the road 2 of the broken ones did not aline themselves.

Just confirmed tonight that I fractured 2 ribs in tassie.

Unofficially, panadeine forte and alcohol works a treat.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Not good mate, hope your ok
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, C.R.Hill said:

Do we get a ride report Geoffo, or is all hush.

It was not a forum ride, and not really a fan of posting up ride reports of rides that were not posted up on here

But considering the lack of ride reports on here lately, i might smash a quick one out today..

10 hours ago, Scottland said:

Not good mate!

Endone have helped with being able to sleep at night..

yes as everyone has said already,,   sleeping (laying down flat) and sneezing are real painful probably for at least a month

The older you get the slower you heal unfortunately

The new sherco to blame ? 

1 hour ago, Hummdinger said:

The new sherco to blame ? 

Nah, more like lack of ability on the Sherco...