Set the sag
1 1

13 posts in this topic

The mrs helped me set the sag on my kato today,I told her it was saggin more then her bits,be awhile before I ride her I think

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I haven't had this bike very long,it's been set up for an 85kg rider (krooztune) I'm 101kgs,the front end was very light and twitchy I had no confidence on it,the front compression clicker was set on 6 and the rebound on 4,iv changed that out to compression 14 and rebound on 11,made a huge difference to the front end,the rear spring I wound in 4 turns to give me 135 sag,till yesty I wound it another 3/4,to give me 115mm of sag,going off krooztune web site they say this is ok,

The sag without me on it is only  2cm,,so I think I need a heavier spring going off the krooztune figures on there site

Any predictions what the back end will do from winding in the sag from 130 to 115, will I notice a difference? 

Glad you posted this, been thinking about static sag last 2 days.

Suspension sprung for me.

Bike seems super stable at front, but a bit "loose" at rear.

Will setting sag fix this????

This question has been up for 3 hrs now. So I Will have a crack at providing an answer that would make sense to me.

If the Sag is out the bike cannot operate how it was intended.

In answer to your question. The bike can still feel loose at rear because of other factors. But if your sag is not in spec. Then you can bet this is not going to help the rear end feel.

So set your sag check the static sag. then look at other factors like linkage bearings, wheel bearings, rear wheel runs true. and tyre selection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiser said:

This question has been up for 3 hrs now. So I Will have a crack at providing an answer that would make sense to me.

If the Sag is out the bike cannot operate how it was intended.

In answer to your question. The bike can still feel loose at rear because of other factors. But if your sag is not in spec. Then you can bet this is not going to help the rear end feel.

So set your sag check the static sag. then look at other factors like linkage bearings, wheel bearings, rear wheel runs true. and tyre selection.

Thx mate. 

Everything else is new.

Marlin yes it sounds like your rear spring is too soft,  it should be about 20 too 30 mm static sag and 100 too 120 with you sitting on the bike with all gear on. (this is just a guide as all bikes/riders have will have different preferences) Going from 130 too 115 on the rear should give you more steer ( the front end wont wash out as easily) and obviously you wont bottom the rear suspension so easily, you may need to back the compression dampening off.

Scottland,  if your bike sag has already been set for your weight you could try giving it a bit more sag in the rear, say 5 or 10 mm or play with your compression rebound clickers, but hey, a 450 will always be loose in the rear if you twist the grip. 

On 30 September 2017 at 10:11 PM, dazzrmx said:

Marlin yes it sounds like your rear spring is too soft,  it should be about 20 too 30 mm static sag and 100 too 120 with you sitting on the bike with all gear on. (this is just a guide as all bikes/riders have will have different preferences) Going from 130 too 115 on the rear should give you more steer ( the front end wont wash out as easily) and obviously you wont bottom the rear suspension so easily, you may need to back the compression dampening off.

Scottland,  if your bike sag has already been set for your weight you could try giving it a bit more sag in the rear, say 5 or 10 mm or play with your compression rebound clickers, but hey, a 450 will always be loose in the rear if you twist the grip. 

Thanks for the feed back Dazz,appreciated,deffently will have to look into getting new springs,the spring is now wound down easily 3/4 of the way down from the top,be interesting how it goes,I have softened the settings up,so hopefully its ok,I haven't had the bike very long and I didn't like the front end,it was very twitchy and light till I softened the front up,I only go hard in patches and knock up,and I was happy with the bike,but I think new springs front and back it will be heaps better,thanks again for your help

Yep .... @Mick501 picked it .... reckoned it was out by 5-10mm .... out by 7mm.

Keen to see the difference on Friday.

On 02/10/2017 at 1:09 PM, Scottland said:

Yep .... @Mick501 picked it .... reckoned it was out by 5-10mm .... out by 7mm.

Keen to see the difference on Friday.

how did it go for you on Friday Scotland ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jontaylor said:

Harsh? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jontaylor said:

It was the most wonderful experience of my riding year

• Like 1

It was the most wonderful experience of my riding year

Hey Scottland just wondering did you hurt yourself on the first ride of the new bike?

4 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Hey Scottland just wondering did you hurt yourself on the first ride of the new bike?

Nah mate .... second ride

• Like 1