Wombat winter wonderland

fab

Clear skies greeted us after the downpours of the night before. Tracks were slippery, water was abundant and ruts hid their depths. A great group of riders meant we got through the tracks quickly and everyone helped eachother out along the way. 

Thanks as usual goes to Honest Tom for hovering around the back and his commentary of the carnage that unfolded in front of him.

I feel in two creeks today which fortunately only left me to drown in my despair. Bike was ok for those wondering. 

There were stacks a plenty with everyone having their chance to inspect the damp earth. I'll let them tell their own stories. 

• Like 11

Just a few shots of the day, was very slick in places today.  I followed Fab down a muddy gully only to see him gathering speed and eventually going over the bars then sliding into the muddy hole at the bottom. He looked like a competitor from Cool Runnings he picked himself up with the only damage done was his gps mount. He later had another lay down but this time it was clear water some may think he fell off but he was only washing off the mud from the previous incident. Thanks to all that came with a few dropping out along the way, thanks to Peter v and sticks for pulling me up that little pinch. Good day out with a tidy group of blokes.

H.T

P9160033.JPG

P9160038.JPG

P9160040.JPG

P9160041.JPG

P9160042.JPG

P9160043.JPG

P9160044.JPG

P9160045.JPG

P9160047.JPG

• Like 15

2 hours ago, honest tom said:

Thanks to all that came with a few dropping out along the way, thanks to Peter v and sticks for pulling me up that little pinch. Good day out with a tidy group of blokes.

H.T

From the peanut gallery we held our breath at your offs at that little pinch. I thought the italian princess would be riding you. 

• Like 2

Wombat is simply superb when theres no dust and very little transport and theres a GPS loaded with goodies and a knowledgable operator! That we had and fun abound. Thanks for leading Fab and Tom for sweeping. Good to catch up with some riders I haven't seen in ages, a new one to me and also those more familiar. Here's a pic of Fab just after testing the water temperature with his front brake lever. fda58a4b4296b9962306874727593a68.jpg&key=cb0c5236f668a3308a2a1f61223036873c46ed81514c7443ee101edd3ce0cc09

Ride group

b0e952b18c1356d04ca825acebd8cd78.jpg&key=e5cc6a9c71d273cb0b8e810cc14170147070c60c2e7dd6fcb0ffe99cfe0e9c16

We were supposed to start with eight ... One a no show? Poor form if so for not letting the lead know your not going to appear!

So we started with seven - very slippery conditions saw CV pull out early his injured wrist not feeling quite right.

Down to six ...

This we maintained till just after our late lunch . Then Dwkx450 and Stickman pulled out cramping here and there.

Down to four as we hit the superb trails of the return trek.

Great ride Fab . I tend to forget how good Wombat can be.

• Like 8

Thanks Fab and honest Tom for leading a great ride! :)
Great to catch up with new and familiar riders!
I really loved the terrain with lots of options to try harder lines with the cruising pace. I got caught out a few times on slippery logs and one cross rutted hill. If you saw me sliding my front wheel recklessly as to almost crash, that's because myself and PeteV had eaten our rear brake pads before lunch ;)
I had quite a bit of fun hearing the background comments like "ah, those young blokes full of energy" every now and then when I'd choose a ridiculous line and mostly not fall off.

Partway through, dwkx450 had quite the scare when he crunched his knee (luckily no damage). After making sure he was all fine with Tom I rode off to inform the others that they were having a breather. I met up with cornerman PeteV and headed off to a T intersection where I thought people turned left... I went a km a turned back because I lost tracks. I went past the T and decided there was no tracks that way either... Then I turned back and thought I took the correct T intersection back to PeteV... Turns out the hill back was much steeper and gnarly than I remembered... There 200 meters away, I could see the group in the distance. They were very confused about how I ended up in front of them. Next time I'll wait at the T intersection (wombat is a rabbit warren...)

After lunch the tracks got more technical and boots filled with water became uncomfortable to ride in. Dwkx450 was keen to take a faster trail back to the cars so I decided not to blister my feet any worse and head off with him for a good end to the day.
After hitting the road heading toward Ballarat my hilux broke down after Ballan. Luckily my lovely partner came out to pick me up ;)

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, stickman said:

Thanks Fab and honest Tom for leading a great ride! :)
Great to catch up with new and familiar riders!
I really loved the terrain with lots of options to try harder lines with the cruising pace. I got caught out a few times on slippery logs and one cross rutted hill. If you saw me sliding my front wheel recklessly as to almost crash, that's because myself and PeteV had eaten our rear brake pads before lunch ;)
I had quite a bit of fun hearing the background comments like "ah, those young blokes full of energy" every now and then when I'd choose a ridiculous line and mostly not fall off.

Partway through, dwkx450 had quite the scare when he crunched his knee (luckily no damage). After making sure he was all fine with Tom I rode off to inform the others that they were having a breather. I met up with cornerman PeteV and headed off to a T intersection where I thought people turned left... I went a km a turned back because I lost tracks. I went past the T and decided there was no tracks that way either... Then I turned back and thought I took the correct T intersection back to PeteV... Turns out the hill back was much steeper and gnarly than I remembered... There 200 meters away, I could see the group in the distance. They were very confused about how I ended up in front of them. Next time I'll wait at the T intersection (wombat is a rabbit warren...)

After lunch the tracks got more technical and boots filled with water became uncomfortable to ride in. Dwkx450 was keen to take a faster trail back to the cars so I decided not to blister my feet any worse and head off with him for a good end to the day.
After hitting the road heading toward Ballarat my hilux broke down after Ballan. Luckily my lovely partner came out to pick me up ;)

damn lucky that,,,,,,,,,could say more ,, but maybe not

• Like 1

Thanks Fab for putting on and leading this ride. I had been eagerly waiting for a wombat ride to come up that l was able to get too. Have been out to wombat a few times before but nothing like the tracks we covered on Saturday. Thanks also Honest Tom for sweeping all day. It was good to meet some new riders, great bunch of guys to ride with for the day, hope to catch up again on another one.

• Like 2

Looks like it was a great ride!

I was the no-show. I do apologise.

I buggered up my dates, times and everything else. Worked on the bike Saturday and loaded it and everything up for what i thought was a sunday ride. I know i know, clearly says saturday. I must be working too much.

If it wasn't for Fab's PM that I saw Saturday night i would have happily driven off at 6:30 Sunday morning so thanks Fab!

Glad you all had a ripper time and sorry you waited on me.

Daniel.