trowal

Mo-tow (or similar generic carriers)

Hey all,

Does anyone have any feedback in Mo-tow style crowbar bike carriers? I'm considering one due to the take of storage space I have and lack of use for a full trailer.  Do you have one? Do you like it? Pros/Cons? The family cars are a Commodore and Prado so no issues with weight etc. But I have concerns over how stable they are etc. Does anyone have one I might be able able to borrow/hire to try out or a used one they don't want that they might sell?

Thanks, Troy

I use a towbar carrier for the same reason as not enough space to store a trailer.  I have a Rack N roll, well made and thought out. It has a plate attachment to stop any rocking movement so bike is mounted very stable. Also no tie downs are required. 

http://racknroll.com.au/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lusk said:

I use a towbar carrier for the same reason as not enough space to store a trailer.  I have a Rack N roll, well made and thought out. It has a plate attachment to stop any rocking movement so bike is mounted very stable. Also no tie downs are required. 

http://racknroll.com.au/

I had a mate come over from Adelaide last month with one of these (mounted on his Prado!). Was the first time I had seen this particular style in the flesh and was very impressed with it. the bracket/plate to stop the rocking was a great addition and by not using tie downs it takes away the extra depth created by not having the "outriggers" that tie downs go to.

He purchased it mainly for the trip over from Adelaide and back (instead of towing his 5 bike enclosed trailer) and said it was fantastic for the trip....

if i had restricted storage (and a suitable car) i would most likely go with one of these as well...

I've got a rack n roll too. Aussie owned. I think Aussie made too but don't quote me on that.

This one is very well made - doesn't wobble around as 2t4me said.

Dislikes
Take slightly longer to get onto car and then bike onto rack vs hooking up trailer and tying bike down.

I basically only use the rack if i know access at destination will be tight or loads of km on dirt road.

Happy to loan it if u want to try it out. I'm in Silvan.

I've had both and currently use a Rack n roll carrier. It's far superior to a Mo-tow and more secure for the bike.
If you can afford it - get the Rack n Roll

• Like 2

I've had both and currently use a Rack n roll carrier. It's far superior to a Mo-tow and more secure for the bike.
If you can afford it - get the Rack n Roll

Standard or the heavy duty one

Standard or the heavy duty one

I think the one I have is standard mate 3205dcca64d0ffe03908ead4c66a2431.jpg

I think the one I have is standard mate 3205dcca64d0ffe03908ead4c66a2431.jpg&key=87ee1201330ecf95996d8d081d7299d04f158f323a7d52749128ee1cc3c5a97c

Ok great thanks mate how does it go setting it up and only pulling down buy the pegs

No worries at all going pegs only. The bike is absolutely rock solid, even more than when using tie downs I reckon. I added a bit of chain with a caribiner at each end for each peg with a bit of slack in it to make the bike way easier to hook on and off.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KTM350 said:

Ok great thanks mate how does it go setting it up and only pulling down buy the pegs

Really simple and easy to set up and take down etc...My advice is if you're thinking about it and can afford it, then grab one, you wont regret it 

• Like 1

I had a Mo Tow for many years... Why they sell them without lights attached is beyond me ( make sure you get lights for it and fit number plate as well ).

Had it on the back of the Prado when I rode alone ( used the trailer for multiple bikes ).. and it was pretty stable.. make sure you use enough tie downs... I see the new MO TOW has the front wheel well making sure it does'nt rock forward

( good idea ).

The rack and roll system looks excellent..

Just my 2 cents worth

RIC

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 9:18 PM, Ic0nic said:

No worries at all going pegs only. The bike is absolutely rock solid, even more than when using tie downs I reckon. I added a bit of chain with a caribiner at each end for each peg with a bit of slack in it to make the bike way easier to hook on and off.

are you using the chain and carabiner in place of the existing shackle or as well as it??

anychance you can put up a photo with it loaded so we can see what you mean??

cheers

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 10:37 AM, 2t4me said:

are you using the chain and carabiner in place of the existing shackle or as well as it??

anychance you can put up a photo with it loaded so we can see what you mean??

cheers

Sorry for the delay mate! Pretty simple really. I reckon this is better than using a tie down for security. Plus having an extra restraint each side of the bike that isn't under pressure helps with the unloading process. 

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

• Like 1