2 2
TRAILZ

In kneed of feedback on knee pads

I tried on a pair of the pod k8s today... very comfy but not in my budget lol
Gotta be patient

Get the K4s then there cheaper and still good.
  • Like 3

The K8 and K4 replaced the K700 and K300....
In the case of the older k300 and K700 they were effectively the second brace but the k700 was carbon whilst the 300 was "plastic" and as a result heavier - and about $250-$300 cheaper...
I would imagine it's the same story with the current K4 and K8...

• Like 1

Thanks Cujo they look sound ideal for my modest budget. And most importantly glad to hear ya didn't sustain any major injury... what you've gone through is exactly what I'm trying to prevent - the unknown fallen branch pertruding straight up at seat height...
and yep we wear the same boot, so glad that you explained about the adjusting of tvem and the fit of the Thor guards ... I'll get online to have a look at them. Which model are they?
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322568870305
  • Like 1

This thread has come up a few times over the past couple of years and the general trend is that after most knee injuries, most people go out and buy a quality knee brace, whether they be Pods, Aterix, CTI custom or some other brand and wish they had done it a long time before. I saved up to get my Pod K300 a few years back now and am very happy with the decision and the fact that I have done it before a major leg problem makes it better. They are slimmer around the calf then any knee guard I have had before and therefore fit into boots better.  If fitted properly they dont move and only time I get water in the top of my boots is standing in knee deep water!

• Like 3

Reading through this thread I've decided to upgrade to knee braces from the Thor Force knee guards (which have served me well over the last 10 years but are now showing their age). Are there any recommendations on best place to buy them (around eastern suburbs of Melbourne) and get fitted/adjusted properly?

• Like 1

Reading through this thread I've decided to upgrade to knee braces from the Thor Force knee guards (which have served me well over the last 10 years but are now showing their age). Are there any recommendations on best place to buy them (around eastern suburbs of Melbourne) and get fitted/adjusted properly?
If you're in the eastern suburbs go to bikemart and Peter Stevens, between the 2 of them you should be able to look at and try alpine star, pod, EVs, leatt and Asterix....
  • Like 2

Oh vince, most decent knee guards cover from your knee to below the top of your boot, stop being so paranoid and ride your bike bud!

• Like 1

Saw these in FB today
Seem low priced and wonder how they perform against other more expensive brands
Anyone have any experience or info on these?
b97162329a038caaf0eee3dd4215712f.jpg

• Like 1

Nice find - hadnt seen them before....

googled them and found the following at mxstore.com.au (click HERE)

I think the 2nd bullet point below is the key "High end Knee Gaurd"

they do look like the $300 price tag probably matches where they would sit between basic knee guards and actual braces though?.....

Designed for riders who need a knee brace with more flexibility and torsional protection compared to a conventional knee brace. Knee cap, tibia and the lower femur protections consist of an elastomeric material which allows impact to be absorbed and makes the central area of the knee brace flexible, guaranteeing a perfect fit.

The double articulation system on the sides is made from a combination of various technopolymers and stainless steel inserts which in turn guarantees maximum freedom of movement and at the same time gives excellent torsional rigidity and high flexibility of the knee. The kneecap shell guarantees freedom of movement and a comfortable fit, it is also adjustable. The interior is made of a soft neoprene material which is removable and washable. A perfect fit is assured by the 3 adjustable straps, numbered in the correct closing order. Protection of the knee, tibia and femur Homologation EN 1621-1/12.

Features:

• 10% Steel; 35% Epdm; 35% Polypropylene; 15% Neoprene; 5% Other fibers
  • High end Knee Guard
  • Kneecap, tibia and lower femur guard made of elastomer material in order to adapt to the leg’s anatomy and to absorb the shocks
  • Extreme freedom of movement and excellent torsional and flexural rigidity of the knee guaranteed by the double articulation system realized by combining technopolymeric materials and steel inserts
  • Movable kneecap shell ensures wide range of movement
  • Removable and washable padding in soft neoprene
  • 3 adjustable straps
  • EN 1621-1/12 HOMOLOGATED
  • Like 1

Oh vince, most decent knee guards cover from your knee to below the top of your boot, stop being so paranoid and ride your bike bud!

Hey Mark yeh tried a few pairs.
Got the fox knee/shin guards atm
Want something more stable round the knee in case of twisting and not so bulky round the shin...

When ya gonna wash ur bike n ride here again?
  • Like 1

This is worth a watch if you haven't already seen it.
I run leatt knee guards which are comfy and have saved me many times from impact but 1 good hyper extension and I'm screwed, I'm getting braces when I can afford them, even if I buy 1 side at a time.

Hey Mark yeh tried a few pairs.

Got the fox knee/shin guards atm

Want something more stable round the knee in case of twisting and not so bulky round the shin...

When ya gonna wash ur bike n ride here again?

So are you looking for knee braces not knee guards?

Knee braces are more for impact protection where knee guards do the same but also support your knee joint from twisting and hyper extending.

Mate I live up Cairns way now, I still have my bike in vic and bought another one for riding up here.

I was going to come down for a ride a few weeks back but the missus is sick and may be for some time to come.

When I'm down next I will give you a shout out.

Hope you find what your looking for big fella.

• Like 1

So are you looking for knee braces not knee guards?
Knee braces are more for impact protection where knee guards do the same but also support your knee joint from twisting and hyper extending.

Mate I live up Cairns way now, I still have my bike in vic and bought another one for riding up here.
I was going to come down for a ride a few weeks back but the missus is sick and may be for some time to come.
When I'm down next I will give you a shout out.

Hope you find what your looking for big fella.

After everyone's feedback I'm gonna put some coin aside for knee braces. It's logical - they do both and with the riding we do it's almost a necessity...
  • Like 2

A good working knee is worth far more than $300 a leg.
Good on you deciding to go the braces.

Yeh totally agree there Pete... got a lot of riding ahead hey
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, markr74 said:

this is arse about - guards are impact, braces are impact + structural (twisting, hyper extensions etc)

• Like 1

Yeh totally agree there Pete... got a lot of riding ahead hey

Yes but more importantly being able to walk without discomfort - good knees are vital joints you want to protect at any cost.
  • Like 1

Picked up a slightly used pair of Asterisk ultra cell braces, the fit is good but is there anything particular in adjustments to make sure it works how it should?

4 hours ago, ray.g.35 said:

Picked up a slightly used pair of Asterisk ultra cell braces, the fit is good but is there anything particular in adjustments to make sure it works how it should?

A good snug fit around your upper and lower leg and most importantly on either side of your knee. Try the different pads that go either side of your knee until there's no play at all, a nice tight fit.

Knee braces aren't meant to be super comfortable, if you can't tell you're wearing them they're not going to work properly.