Erzburg 2017

100 posts in this topic

Just a question.

Who thinks they could or would be able to ride this race?

I know this is definately above me,skill and fitness wise. When i was younger i was superfit and would of been ok fitness wise but still my skill level would bring me down.

Most the amatuers you see struggling in certain parts of the track would be guns and great trailriders.
Remember these guys were in the top 500 out of 1500 eager and optimistic entries.

It wouldn't be able to do it, way above me skill and fitness.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cluffie said:

Just a question.

Who thinks they could or would be able to ride this race?

I know this is definately above me,skill and fitness wise. When i was younger i was superfit and would of been ok fitness wise but still my skill level would bring me down.

Most the amatuers you see struggling in certain parts of the track would be guns and great trailriders.
Remember these guys were in the top 500 out of 1500 eager and optimistic entries.

one would need to be riding every day and twice on weekends to be that skilled, would be just dedicated to just riding and hopefully make a living from the winnings and sponsors!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

We have got the right bike for it.

Working as a team , one check point per day.

I think we could do it.

• Like 3

You under rate yourself Gypsy, the harder the hills get lately the more you get excited and the better you go. Now you've got yr jetting and power valve sorted you'll be unstoppable
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, cluffie said:

The top riders are getting to good. They need to make the race harder now as to many are finishing early. Maybe a firehose on some hills,lol.

25 finished in the 4hrs, so not many finished after about the 2  3/4hr mark. The last gate started 45 mins behind so they only get 3hrs and 15 mins.

With the dry conditions it ended up being a bit to easy for the pro riders. For the rest of the riders it was the same,BLOODY HARD. The pro's are that good now that they need to have some extra sections thrown in that they can get bonus points for or money for. Some killer hillclimbs at the end would be great to watch. Lazy noon was hyped up this year to being harder then last year but infact it was no challenge this year. Roman blitzed it and just did it in one continuous climb without even stopping which was awesome.  It sure looked to me as if Gomez had ridden Lazy noon recently or even spent a bit of time practicing up and down it by the way he flew up it in a blink, as if it wasn't there. I know he would of been dreaming about it after last year.

• Like 1

I would hate to be the last ones to start by time they get to the first hill it would be chopped out hard!

Yep Gomez looked like he's been practising hills identical to lazy noon as he absolutely killed it . He wasn't gonna get caught out on it again! I think quite a few of the drz crew would succeed on some if not all those fast hills . I'm not sure any of us have the trials skills to deal with washing machine , dynamite or Carl's Diner. ( any Drz trails riders speak up for a skill training day on enduro bikes) - The loamy zig zag tech hill that led under a bridge would have most of us beat.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PeteV said:

Yep Gomez looked like he's been practising hills identical to lazy noon as he absolutely killed it . He wasn't gonna get caught out on it again! I think quite a few of the drz crew would succeed on some if not all those fast hills . I'm not sure any of us have the trials skills to deal with washing machine , dynamite or Carl's Diner. ( any Drz trails riders speak up for a skill training day on enduro bikes) - The loamy zig zag tech hill that led under a bridge would have most of us beat.

I reckon the riders from Spain don't like riding when its wet or prefer dry conditions, take  Jorge Lorenzo  in the motogp sooks when it rains and is nowhere near getting a podium position, but in the dry they are guns!, I bet Graham Jarvis was praying for rain!

17 minutes ago, PeteV said:

- The loamy zig zag tech hill that led under a bridge would have most of us beat.

Yep the standing start  needed to get going on the zig zag showed great bike control  by Jarvis

• Like 2

Gomez was on fire yesterday & made it look pretty easy. I think Romainiacs is more of a challenge for the riders though as they have long consecutive days to get through

• Like 1

Erzberg is a trails rider event in my opinion. Washing machine , dynamite , carls diner , that zigzag hill - three quarters of the ride is totally dependent on excellent slow ride skills in very tech terrain. ( Gomez was a junior world trials champ - Jarvis also a trails champion) If you make good progress in the above and as long as you can make it up the fast hills in a go or two you should finish. The full throttle stuff might make you 5-10 seconds here and there if your faster . But in the techy stuff you will strip minutes off your opponents.

I really enjoyed watching the race last night. Even though I'm a Husky/Jarvis fan I was hoping the Spanish waiter from Barcelona would win it and he did.   He rode extremely well.

Jarvis coming from 13th to 2nd was good to watch. 

Yes the hill climbs are good to watch but I'm impressed by the downhill riding at speed too.  

• Like 5

I love the fact that jarvis isnt a fast rider as such but more of a very smart talented rider as in he conserves his energy and picks the right places to pass people.

I really enjoyed watching the race last night. Even though I'm a Husky/Jarvis fan I was hoping the Spanish waiter from Barcelona would win it and he did.   He rode extremely well.
Jarvis coming from 13th to 2nd was good to watch. 
Yes the hill climbs are good to watch but I'm impressed by the downhill riding at speed too.  

The speed they get coming down then near vertical drops are insane
  • Like 1

Great entertainment. Great event.

But I noticed, Carl calling for a bikes off start. If you did not have your bike running at the drop of the flag you would be last off the line.

But yer all part of it. I have been left on the line in this situation at a club event lol.

And the low life, flying the bird in the grand stand at the finish line. disrespectful.  

4 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

I just watched a hour and half of GoPro from this event, that rock garden would be the killer.

Ok ,   2 days for the rock garden then.

• Like 1

I just watched a hour and half of GoPro from this event, that rock garden would be the killer.

Got a link mate?

12 hours ago, philm said:

Checkpoint 7 at 31.30 sounds like an aussie chick "yup"

Awesome to watch 

• Like 1

Checkpoint 7 at 31.30 sounds like an aussie chick "yup"
Awesome to watch 

I noticed that aswell, how's the swearing in Italian, funny guy.
His riding I think a 2008 300exc you wouldn't won't to take your new bike through that crap.
  • Like 2