2t4me

Fly Racing Over The Boot Patrol Pants

After a couple years of abuse the time has come to replace my current riding pants. For probably the last 4 or so years I have been wearing Thor Static OTB pants (2 pairs in a row) which have been good but they no longer seem to be available.

So I started looking around for a replacement pair. I like the OTB style pants for the pockets (great for keeping goggle rags in), zip off legs (on hotter days I wear them as shorts) and just the general look and feel of them. I've heard people in the past say they don't like them due to catching on your kick starter and foot pegs etc which was an issue I had never experienced - untill about 3 rides ago when I hooked my pants on my right foot peg at Dissa!

My search took me to all of the usual spots in Melbourne's east but I quickly discovered that the various stored I use don't carry many OTB pants... In fact the only ones I found were at Peter Stevens and they were the Shift Recon pants. They had these in my size but felt pretty average material wise and seemed to be really baggy at the bottoms with no way of pulling them tight so I ruled them out.

From there my only option was to look at online suppliers. For this I find the bigger US sites such as Rocky Mountain and Revzilla handy due to the user reviews that they have for all of their products - it's good to get real user reviews (supposedly!) with comments on fit and quality etc..

I came across the Fly Racing OTB Patrol pants and the price, features and reviews all pointed to being the pants for me! I particularly liked the twin adjusting straps for the base of the pants and the various ventilation zips. The user reviews were all positive as well.

I tried finding them on Australian online stores with no luck so I tracked down the local distributor via Google and found them in their catelogue, so I emailed explaining that I wanted to buy a pair and asked if they could direct me to a local supplier..

I fortunately the response was pretty much that no one and them currently... No indication on whether they were going to be available locally or any offer to order them etc.

So it was off to eBay I went and I placed an order a little over a week ago. They arrived at work this morning, $166 Au landed and we'll within the quoted delivery time.

First impression is they look great, material seems sturdy and the quality of all the zips and straps/ buckles seems good. Fit is perfect, I was umming and arching between 2 sizes but based off the user reviews I went with the smaller size!

Won't get to use them till the school holidays but will post an update after a few wears...

The only thing they don't have which I liked on the Third Statics is an inner gator (like on snow ski pants) but so be it!

photo 2 = the straps at the base of the legs

photo 3 = on the 6 ventilation zips

a1563650b20aa6500b38e835e2a74645.jpg8283fa1217fbe1ad7cbb6781d22b7739.jpg4157b8617a2218f500409a5a8de3c1e1.jpg

• Like 2

I should state as well, I dont advocate purchasing from OS suppliers BUT as described above I tried to find a local supplier via the local Fly distributor - even stating in my email that I didn't want to purchase from overseas but no help was provided!

• Like 3

I bought my daughter 2 pairs of girls run out fly over the boot pants from amx for $50($25 each) at their big sale last weds night. 20 % off everything storewide,well worth it.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2017 at 5:31 PM, cluffie said:

I bought my daughter 2 pairs of girls run out fly over the boot pants from amx for $50($25 each) at their big sale last weds night. 20 % off everything storewide,well worth it.

That sale was a good one, i bought a pair of Sidi Crossfire 2's for $520

• Like 3

That sale was a good one, i bought a pair of Sidi Crossfire 2's for $520

I actually had a pair of them in the trolley also Nathan but decided to put them back before i left. That was a hard choice but i have heaps of boots already and the trolley was full with stuff for my 2 kids. First time i've done this,my misses just laughed when i told her.
  • Like 4

2t...
Do you wear anything underneath them? Like skins or something equivalent?
What are they like for warmth during the winter?

Also when running them as shorts do them tend to ride up?

Are they water resistant/proof?

Ive been interested in these for awhile but was very sceptical on what they would be like.

2t...
Do you wear anything underneath them? Like skins or something equivalent? Cheapie skins... For my knee braces
What are they like for warmth during the winter? Fine...

Also when running them as shorts do them tend to ride up? No

Are they water resistant/proof? No

Ive been interested in these for awhile but was very sceptical on what they would be like.

I cant see myself ever wearing normal MX pants again mate
  • Like 2

Do we just wear everything the same? Same boots, armour, neck brace and flightvest I think? I too need new pants and used to love my over the boot pants, had a couple of pairs over the years and still wear them on the really wet rides but they are shagged now. I give you permission to go riding tomorrow or have a couple of days off during the week to go riding and give us a review. I quickly looked for pants a few weeks ago and gave up quickly.

I forgot the braces as well!

• Like 1