Habs

CCTV ? Advice on what to get

So, I just had a bike stolen from the garage. And this has prompted me to want to get CCTV for the house,garage and block.

Any advice is welcome on brands,types set ups cost effectiveness etc.

Thanks

Habs

I just got a set from Ebay with an 8 channel dvr, 1 TB hard drive and 4 cameras allowing me to add up to 4 more. I have added another and its good but doesn't keep the time properly and I cant get it to save the time properly, not without trying many times. I would recommend getting 1080 cameras. I am looking at getting a couple of 1080 cameras (my current ones are good but not great) as the quality you get is soooo much better and easier to observe people. Here is some footage from youtube, my phone then of a smaller screened replay so its lost a bit of quality but I can see and identify the scumbag in the video and he was charged because of it.

• Like 4

No good mate that would suck.  Pricks

I've seen a few of these units around.  Mivision, KIT44CH, 4 Channel 4.  One of my clients has the 8CH unit running 4 cameras.

Last time i checked they were pretty good value for feature set.  Good IR, waterproof, can connect to your Alarm, send you alerts, have all the features you'd expect and more.  Alot you'll probably never use. 

All POE and support various other cameras, PVR etc.  main supplier http://www.mainline.com.au/product.php?productid=1695&cat=0&page=1&js=n

http://www.mainline.com.au/PDFs/KIT44CHbrochure.pdf

From the experience i've had with these units they seem pretty solid. 

Beware of the cheap crap out there and the overpriced re-branded cheap crap.

Cheers

• Like 2

I use VIP vision cameras 1.3mp 1080p HD digital. It cost me just over $2k to install but well worth it. I can watch my cameras live anytime anywhere from my phone. Very good quality too.

If ya don't wanna spend a fortune have a look at jaycar's range, I'm running just a 4ch 720p cameras and the quality is surprisingly good! 

View it on my phone anytime also and sends you notifications when there's movement etc 

I've just got a very basic system for the house - 4 Poe 1080p cameras.

At night the cameras under cover are really good quality but the ones out in the open are crap - stray ir light I think.

As it's only one aspect of our security I think it acts a good deterent but unless you have motion alarms and remote viewing it's not going to stop anyone.

I bought a couple of 1080HD cameras and when I plugged them in I realised that I need a different DVR to view them. I'm thinking of getting a digital DVR and slowly upgrade the cameras then use the old box at work. My problem with the old dvr is that it doesn't keep time. Every 8 hours it skips 8 hours. It still records all the time, but when I want to find when something happened its near on impossible to find. I just reset the date/time today and it was up to 2018 already and it wasn't that long ago that I re set it. Any advice for a stand alone digital DVR or should I just get an 8 ch with 4 cameras?

Hi all,

I'm happy to offer my advice privately if anyone wants to PM me. I am a qualified Locksmith / Security Tech and deal with this stuff every day with 17 years experience.

I only deal in products that are further up the shelf as I have a high level of standard / expectation and can't stand the DIY market. There are plenty of affordable options out there but nothing i deal in is "plug n play".

Best bang for buck is always going to be an alarm system with GPRS monitoring. Make their ears bleed!

- Patto.

• Like 2

I had a similar issue with town houses I got built when the builder done the hand over I had a funny feeling someone was going to knock off the hot water service units and they did. But I had installed a tracker device in each town house until the tenants moved in,can you imagine the look on the dogs face when me and the boys payed him a vist.

• Like 1

I ended up getting this, arrived Friday, installed Saturday, amazing quality compared to what I had and the timing was set automatically! I can actually look at recordings and find an actual time. It used the same cables that my old one did so most of the cables were already run making it easier. I broke one cable (after initial installation) so I ran one new cable and one spare one for a future camera. Soooo much easier to setup then my ebay china set but I will probably set it up at work.
Swann 8 Channel 2TB DVR with 4 x 1080p Cameras with Wireless Smart Technology (SWDSR-850004)

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/swann-8-channel-1tb-dvr-with-4-x-1080p-cameras-with-wireless-smart-technology-swdsr-850004-swann/

• Like 1