New Dirt Bike for Beginner
2 2

66 posts in this topic

On 17/05/2017 at 7:23 PM, grasshopper said:

I am 49 years young, about 85 kg and never have owned a motorbike and have virtually no riding experience. I have always wanted a dirt bike for the frill of it, but with no friends riding I have just not got around to it. Have my learners and getting my provisional in next few weeks.

I am now biting the bullet and weighing up which bike to buy. Single trail, dirt roads, forest trails, riding parks is where I am guessing I’ll be riding. But to be honest, not really sure of where, but it will be somewhere close to the Gold Coast where I live.

I'm only 66kg and 175cm short.

My first ever bike is a Yamaha WR250f. Great fun to learn on, not too tall that you feel like you can't touch the ground, has plenty of power for your first year learning, I still don't ride it to it's full potential and I've had it for 2 years now.

There's lots of info/tutorials on how to fix and maintain them.

In my opinion; only downside of buying an older 4-stroke is the potential for the piston, rings & valves needing replacing due to age and lack of previous owner air filter maintenance meaning the engine has worn out.

You made a comment about not sure where to ride - I would be checking where you can ride before lashing out on a new bike which you may find can only be ridden 2hrs drive away.

See if any of the forests are near to you: https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/recreation/trail-bike/where/

https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/list.php?region=68

1 person likes this

Great points Pygmy esp about having somewhere to ride!
It's also fair to say very few of us can ride a wr250 to its full potential .
The idea behind riding an underpowered bike is so you learn to ride like this!

If only :)
Btw a ttr250 another good learning option :)

On 2017-5-20 at 10:13 AM, grasshopper said:

Thanks PeteV, This KLX150 you recommended so far seems to be the safest and easiest to learn on. Was thinking of a Honda 230 but it cannot be registered. This could be the bike to cut my teeth on, thanks.

If you find an older Yamaha TT-R230A (mine is a 2007) they can be road registered. I've seen a couple of nice low km examples near me lately for $2.5-3k. But you're tall enough for the 250.

15 hours ago, Pygmygod said:

I'm only 66kg and 175cm short.

My first ever bike is a Yamaha WR250f. Great fun to learn on, not too tall that you feel like you can't touch the ground, has plenty of power for your first year learning, I still don't ride it to it's full potential and I've had it for 2 years now.

There's lots of info/tutorials on how to fix and maintain them.

In my opinion; only downside of buying an older 4-stroke is the potential for the piston, rings & valves needing replacing due to age and lack of previous owner air filter maintenance meaning the engine has worn out.

You made a comment about not sure where to ride - I would be checking where you can ride before lashing out on a new bike which you may find can only be ridden 2hrs drive away.

See if any of the forests are near to you: https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/recreation/trail-bike/where/

https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/list.php?region=68

Lockyer National Park is one of the closest. Are you allowed to ride single tracks in these dirt bike permitted parks or only dirt roads?

15 hours ago, PeteV said:

Great points Pygmy esp about having somewhere to ride!
It's also fair to say very few of us can ride a wr250 to its full potential .
The idea behind riding an underpowered bike is so you learn to ride like this!

If only :)
Btw a ttr250 another good learning option :)

The weight of the WR is a downer to learn on. I hear it is top heavy making it even harder to learn the ropes. The Kawasaki 2017 KLX 150BF SE seems to be a safe choice for less than $5000 new.

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:55 PM, millsyswm300 said:

swm 310 is a great bike ( re named husky ) , i picked mine up for a  dash under 9k. coming from a fair few years off and a 450 before that, it was a perfect to get back into it.

the dealers also have a new tune for these bikes which picks up the bottom end, mine is getting done tomorrow.

IMG_20170310_191412 (1).jpg

Considering the 2016 SWM RS 300 R as they are incredible value, lower maintenance intervals than the likes of KTM. Seat height is my only downer

Yeah look see if you can get a klx150 Second hand for about 3k with about 1000km on it. Have some fun - Smash it up a bit and sell it in few months time and you'll be keen and much more confident and comfortable on a 250 enduro bike .

A couple months back after reading the report Pete linked I had a scout around at forums reading about mods and at eBay looking at aftermarket gear for the KLX's as my 12 year old son has a KLX140.... From memory for about $300-$400 you can get a complete top end kit that takes them out to 180 and apparently makes a huge difference....
Go for it, should be a great first bike and intro to the bush!

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, PeteV said:

Yeah look see if you can get a klx150 Sh for 3k with a 1000km on it. Have some fun - Smash it up a bit and sell it in few months time and you'll be keen and much more comfortable on a 250 enduro bike .

10 minutes ago, 2t4me said:

A couple months back after reading the report Pete linked I had a scout around at forums reading about mods and at eBay looking at aftermarket gear for the KLX's as my 12 year old son has a KLX140.... From memory for about $300-$400 you can get a complete top end kit that takes them out to 180 and apparently makes a huge difference....
Go for it, should be a great first bike and intro to the bush!

The KLX150 seams to me to be a cracker of a deal for a learner and are seriously considering it. The 2016 SWM RS300 R for $8200 with 12 months rego is a contender with one downfall is the seat height at 963mm.

1 person likes this

I was reading about that stuff earlier tonight 2t4me . They bore them to 175 and or 220. Ohljns rear shock. Kx forks. Mwahaha !

1 person likes this

Grab what's available at the right price without driving 4 hours to get it . Don't get to hung up on what it is. These are all super reliable bikes that will do 10000km before an engine rebuild is required if serviced...A crf23/250 ( the registrable one). A ttr230/250 a KLx 150 a KLx 250 a drz250. Pay about 3 k. Try and get something with less than 2000 km on it ... Ride it for a few months. Get comfortable riding . Ride other blokes bikes .. Learn what s wrong with all the above bikes .. ( all the above bikes hold places in many much skilled riders hearts as a bike they cut their teeth on) Then if the bike isn't meeting your outstanding riding abilities sell it ( you'll get what you paid for it if you buy correctly ) and buy a new full blown enduro bike .

Lots of overpriced junk unfortunately in Brisbane and the GC . I don't think the 150 would be a long term bike. But getting it, getting some ride gear , getting used to riding and having some fun on it. You can do all this and apart from rego tranfer fees it will cost you next to nothing to own for a few - six months then move on and the learning will be easy. It's a very comfortable stepping stone.