Yamaha WR250F clutch won't disengage.

8 posts in this topic

Hi gurus, 

Any ideas on what the problem here might be. I've been giving the clutch a bit of a hard time last weekend. Clutch cable has full range of movement as does the push lever, so I'm thinking the problem could be internal. Neutral works fine.

Anything simple I can try or do I need a mechanic? I'm not confident of opening it up myself. 

TIA, Mark. 

You need to explain the problem a bit better as clutch operation can be ambiguous depending on who's telling the story .
1 When you put it in gear and rev with the clutch lever released is the bike not moving ( clutch seems to slipping) ?
1a does it do this in every gear?
2 Is there free play in the lever ?( the first few mm of movement of the lever should do absolutely nothing to the cable whatsoever?) If it does the cable is to tight.
With a hot engine the fibre clutch plates swell a little which may explain why it was working and now it's not.
If you have given the clutch a good workout last ride it may be the straw that broke the camels back and you may have burnt out the clutch plates and they may need replacing .

1 person likes this

Thanks PeteV.

Bike is cold and off. Can select neutral to start. Cannot start in gear as clutch will not disengage. Once started, still cannot select a gear as clutch will not disengage, so selecting a gear, the bike lurches forward and stalls. 

you may need to start your  clutch adjustment from the push rod in the clutch basket up to the clutch lever as opposed to the other way round.

1 person likes this

Thanks PeteV.

Bike is cold and off. Can select neutral to start. Cannot start in gear as clutch will not disengage. Once started, still cannot select a gear as clutch will not disengage, so selecting a gear, the bike lurches forward and stalls. 

A Different oil or being low on oil can cause this problem but if you haven't recently changed oil and it's not low on oil it's most likely the clutch basket is starting to notch.

The basket can be filed but it's only a short term solution. If both the above are ok you most likely need a new clutch basket and plates .

If you warm the bike up a bit longer then rev a bit harder when you pull the clutch you will get it in gear and get away.

1 person likes this

Pull the clutch plates apart, inspecting the steels or excessive heat marks and then inspect the clutch plates for wear including fingers.

While keeping the clutch plates in order, place into a zip bag and pure new oil over it and let it soak...it can be down to engine oil being overused and not lubricating some of the clutch plates causing binding.

Next, you can adjust the the basket for freeplay, always start with the lever adjuster just about out and the cable adjuster the same...you don't want to adjust the basket with the lever and cable adjuster all the way out, if they are then it would indicate you probably need to replace the clutch plates and steels.

2 people like this

Ok so I warmed the bike up and she has completely freed up. Phew!

Is this a sign of something wrong that I should get checked out?

Thanks again.

Clutches are usually crappy when the engine is cold. If you've given the clutch a big workout on some huge hills it's best to change your oil .