taylor715

Braces versus Guards

Just looking for some advice on braces versus guards and brands etc and the best brands etc to go with. Was looking at guards today but sizing is an issue adults are to big youth are to small and then another customer said go asterisk braces 1000% better protection

• Like 1

I had fox guards and went to POD braces
Guards are good for forward impact, are light and you almost don't know you are wearing them.
Braces are noticeably there...all the time but stop forward hyper extension and a bit of twist + forward/downward impact.
Guards $$
Braces $$$
Braces if you can afford them and the best ones you can buy!

• Like 2

This one really comes down to budget and what you want them to do..

I'll start with the basics (and apologies if you already know this), Guards are really only intended to provide protection from impact (sticks, roost, the ground etc) whilst braces will not only provide that same impact protection but will also offer (limited) protection against structural Knee injuries.

Guards are definitely beneficial and I wouldn't recommend anybody go out on the trails without knee guards as a minimum. from my experience with guards (prior to getting braces) I would recommend that you go for a pair that has straps both below and above the knee. My first pair just had 2 straps below the knee and even when worn under my pants would move around and were basically crap. there seems to be 2 "steps" in guards, basic ones such as THIS (which is what I had before my braces) which are in the $50-$60 range and then pivoted "brace-like" guards like THIS which seem to be around the $150 mark.

Braces, if your budget will allow it, are the far better option - especially if you are anything other than an office worker! - the start from around $300 EACH through to I beleive around about $1800 for a custom made pair of CTO braces. Personally I wear Pod K300's which are arguably an entry level Brace. at the time Pod made a K300 and  K700, they were both the same design but the 700 were carbon fibre and lighter (and $200 each dearer!). We are now spoilt for options with Braces off the shelf with brands such as Pod (Fox), Asterix, Leatt, Alpine Star and EVS amongst the most common/popular. Everyone will have opinions on which is best (usually the brand they wear!!) but your best bet if looking to get braces is to get out and try as many on as possible as what fits jo bloe perfectly may not suit your legs etc.....

Good Luck 

• Like 8

Thanks guys that's really helpful great information being self employed is one reason I keep considering the braces the price is not very appealing but not having an income if something happened wouldn't be great

1 hour ago, taylor715 said:

Thanks guys that's really helpful great information being self employed is one reason I keep considering the braces the price is not very appealing but not having an income if something happened wouldn't be great

I don't know the exact circumstances but I have heard of some people being able to claim a chunk of the cost under their private health insurance (if you have it of course) - could be worth exploring...

• Like 1

I don't know the exact circumstances but I have heard of some people being able to claim a chunk of the cost under their private health insurance (if you have it of course) - could be worth exploring...

Thanks so much I'll check with my health care provider
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, taylor715 said:

What's more expensive...knee brace costing $500-$1000 or a week/month+ off work? Sure you're incoming protection and possibly TAC will help you out if you blow your knee out but you don't want to wait for something like this to happen to make braces "affordable" - the most common knee injury is when your trailing leg gets flug awkwardly by a root/rock/branch etc, even when your bike falls over on the side and you leg is caught under it, that sudden twist to get up, can cause a strain or even tear.

And old study but worth a read http://lermagazine.com/article/knee-bracing-benefits-off-road-motorcyclists

If you can afford them, buy them even the entry level braces....if you're coming up to Goughs in a couple a weeks l have a pair of EVS RS8's (entry level) that you can try out (sz L).

Edited by ohmygewd
grade 6 grammar...
  • Like 3

I have k300's. $300 a leg to keep functional knees is cheap. Parts are easy to get for pod braces . I've snapped two ligaments falling off on two different occasions in the last year. $50 or $60 for two ligaments I think/forget but no knee injuries . Hate to think how sore my knees would be had I not been wearing them.

• Like 2

Just remember, knee braces - ANY knee braces - will not/can not prevent ALL knee injuries... Regardless as to whether you are wearing entry level Pods or fully custom fitted CTIs it is still possible to do damage BUT the braces will/can prevent some injuries and reduce severity of others....

• Like 4

Any additional protection on your knees is worth its weight in gold .
Before buying the braces I had pads and even falling on them was a pleasure compared to hitting the ground with nothing.

• Like 3

I started with cheap knee guards but the constant moving and slipping got to me and got a set of entry level braces EVS ones that had a metal brace and hinge on the sides. This probably saved me from a knee reconstruction a couple of years back now when someone T-Boned into me at pace.  They still moved a lot and were a bit annoying and bulky and like many on here, ended up with Pod K-300's. Have had them for a while now and need new velcro straps (the old sort were terrible) but they sit well, are a closer fit to the human knee and allow better movement. Definitely by the best you can afford.

I recently stumbled across a saying, "I am too poor to buy cheap products", meaning a poor/tight person buys the cheaper option many times and then eventually buys the dearer product having wasted their money many times before. I am not religious with this but I make sure its in my head when purchasing all sorts of stuff in life from moto to work

• Like 2

Some 30 years ago i hyper extended my knee in a low speed Dirtbike crash, ive broken several bones in the past but that knee was by far the most painful. 2 years ago i twisted the same knee after i dropped my bike on a steep rocky uphill, luckily just swelling and a walking stick for a few days. I made the decision then knee braces would be a good investment, i spent a fair bit of time at different shops with different brands and ended up with troy lee braces $600 only because they fitted my legs best, they felt a bit wierd fist couple of rides but now i dont know i have them on. As Dusty said try as many as possible, whats the most expensive isn't necessarily best. I wouldnt ride without them but i am a soft southerner with piss weak knees

• Like 2

What's more expensive...knee brace costing $500-$1000 or a week/month+ off work? Sure you're incoming protection and possibly TAC will help you out if you blow your knee out but you don't want to wait for something like this to happen to make braces "affordable" - the most common knee injury is when your trailing leg gets flug awkwardly by a root/rock/branch etc, even when your bike falls over on the side and you leg is caught under it, that sudden twist to get up, can cause a strain or even tear.
And old study but worth a read http://lermagazine.com/article/knee-bracing-benefits-off-road-motorcyclists
If you can afford them, buy them even the entry level braces....if you're coming up to Goughs in a couple a weeks l have a pair of EVS RS8's (entry level) that you can try out (sz L).

Yeah even a week off work would hurt more then the cost of the braces. Thanks for the offer of trying the EVS but unlikely they would fit though I expect I'd be a small. Catch you at Gough's bay
  • Like 1

I started with cheap knee guards but the constant moving and slipping got to me and got a set of entry level braces EVS ones that had a metal brace and hinge on the sides. This probably saved me from a knee reconstruction a couple of years back now when someone T-Boned into me at pace.  They still moved a lot and were a bit annoying and bulky and like many on here, ended up with Pod K-300's. Have had them for a while now and need new velcro straps (the old sort were terrible) but they sit well, are a closer fit to the human knee and allow better movement. Definitely by the best you can afford.
I recently stumbled across a saying, "I am too poor to buy cheap products", meaning a poor/tight person buys the cheaper option many times and then eventually buys the dearer product having wasted their money many times before. I am not religious with this but I make sure its in my head when purchasing all sorts of stuff in life from moto to work

Good advice on the saying very true
  • Like 1

I use a pair of Matrix braces, had them fitted up by Stephen Gall at the motorcycle expo a few years ago. He explained a few things to me about how they should fit.

You need to make sure the pads inside the hinge are a tight fit around your knee, if theres any play they won't work properly. Your thigh and your calf should also match the shape of them giving you a nice snug fit. Most braces come with a selection of pads and wedges for the hinge so you need to take your time and try different combinations and sizes until they're a perfect mould to your legs. 

Another thing is to see how much you can flex them around by hand, grab the hinges and push/pull them towards each other, the more rigid the better.

Braces that will work properly won't be super comfy to wear, try as many different brands as you can. For me it was the Matrix, they absolutely buried every other brand for knee support but they're a little uncomfortable, small price to pay for good protection though. 

• Like 3

I use a pair of Matrix braces, had them fitted up by Stephen Gall at the motorcycle expo a few years ago. He explained a few things to me about how they should fit.
You need to make sure the pads inside the hinge are a tight fit around your knee, if theres any play they won't work properly. Your thigh and your calf should also match the shape of them giving you a nice snug fit. Most braces come with a selection of pads and wedges for the hinge so you need to take your time and try different combinations and sizes until they're a perfect mould to your legs. 
Another thing is to see how much you can flex them around by hand, grab the hinges and push/pull them towards each other, the more rigid the better.
Braces that will work properly won't be super comfy to wear, try as many different brands as you can. For me it was the Matrix, they absolutely buried every other brand for knee support but they're a little uncomfortable, small price to pay for good protection though. 

Thanks so far not having much luck with sizing have tried AMX only bigger sizes, bike mart the small sizes were to big but not much of a range First class motorcycles no youth sizing Ive put some Pods in youth size on hold at Peter Stevens will see how they fit if no luck will try some other places. Thanks for the tips of how they should fit.
  • Like 2

i did my ACL while wearing knee guards after that i brought mobuis knee braces which have been good .The only complaint i have was the small bolts were not fitted with loctite and lost one causing the knee brace to become unsafe. after a good dose of loctite no other dramas 

• Like 1

ive just optioned a pair of Pod K4's into a deal as im purchasing a new bike next weekend. Hopefully run them for the first time Sun 21/05. Ive never run braces before just had the guards, so I will let you know what I think of them

• Like 1