Question about a notchy clutch

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a Clake One light clutch so my issues at the clutch lever is amplified but my clutch lever doesn't release smoothly. On my last ride the clutch got progressively worse throughout the ride and got to a point where it wouldn't release without pushing the lever out. I reduced the Clake assist which helped and made it work normally(relatively). Sounds like I need a new clutch basket as I've already filed the fingers down about 10-15 rides ago. Do I need a new inner hub? The steels are brown-ish and also slightly thinner than the not so brown steels. I just want to check before I go out and buy everything and to also ask if I need to check anything else. I'll get new springs with the clutch plates but what is up with white discoloration on the springs? Too much heat?

Also, what's your opinion on brands?

Cheers

2626239c151ed11891b9a55dcff51015.jpg

40b96379e5f362adfcf67e088e5ede43.jpg

b2ebd0faa6d5480c73289f0f08a6ecf6.jpg

inner hub should be ok. white on springs is the oem paint to identify the spring/rate.

new basket and clutch kit will be just under $300 retail for oem yamaha.  new springs come in the kit.

• Like 1

inner hub should be ok. white on springs is the oem paint to identify the spring/rate.
new basket and clutch kit will be just under $300 retail for oem yamaha.  new springs come in the kit.

Thanks cluffie. The paint on the springs is interesting to know. I would have never guessed that. So you recommend just going with Yamaha parts as opposed to Hinson etc?

13 minutes ago, Trunks said:

Thanks cluffie. The paint on the springs is interesting to know. I would have never guessed that. So you recommend just going with Yamaha parts as opposed to Hinson etc?

Hinson isn't necessary unless racing at a high level and really only motocross.  A hinson setup is well north of $1000. 

• Like 1

Silly question have you greesed the perch is it binding ?

The lever and perch are really smooth. The Clake is about 18 months old and is still like new. And being hydraulic, there should be any binding in the cable.

I believe that some people with the Clake one light clutch have had similar issues and it was down to a dodgy piston in the Clake. It might be worth you giving Owen at Clake a call first.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I believe that some people with the Clake one light clutch have had similar issues and it was down to a dodgy piston in the Clake. It might be worth you giving Owen at Clake a call first.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Good to know. I've already ordered and paid for a new basket and clutch kit so I'll see how that goes and maybe give Owen a call if it's still not right. The clutch has progressively gotten worse since I filed the fingers of the basket down so I think that's the issue. I hope so anyway because the parts are on their way.